The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Judges should rule on law and facts, not feelings > Comments

Judges should rule on law and facts, not feelings : Comments

By Gary Johns, published 25/2/2016

Two judges of the Federal Circuit Court have expressed concern that Aboriginal children are likelier than non-Aboriginal children to be taken from their homes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Anyone who supports the idea that aboriginal children at risk should only be placed in the care of relatives should read the online coroners inquest into the death of Deborah Melville in Darwin on 12th July, 2007. I try to remember that date each year to commemorate her life.
This poor girl, in the protection of the state and in the care of an aboriginal aunt lived a life of sexual, physical and emotional abuse, up until the day she was left to die alone, in the dirt of the back yard, in the dark, in horrific pain. What brought me to tears was the evidence of one of the other 10 kids in the house who reported Deborah was seeing fairies in the trees as she died.
It has always been a small small comfort to me that she saw fairies as her last sight of this world, in her short miserable existence.
It should be mandatory reading for all those who advocate not putting these kids into safe care, regardless of race.
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 25 February 2016 10:24:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think this system of child protection we have now works for children of any race in Australia. The current system of leaving the kids with their family members, at almost any cost, is causing much physical and mental harm to vulnerable children.

The Government does not provide enough money to fund an effective child protection system so that all vulnerable children can be followed up and removed from poor homes as needed. The foster home situation is often not much better either, so more funds need to be poured into that area as well.

If this system is not improved we can only expect the increase in numbers of neglected children who are more likely to grow up into poor parents themselves, or career criminals, or both. And so the cycle goes on.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 25 February 2016 11:34:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Gary,

Yes, are children the property of parents, like dogs or cars, or are they the responsibility of parents ? Is a child a meal-ticket, or a financial obligation ?

Surely social workers etc. have to ask themselves, when gthe4y are confronted with the abuse of an Indigenous child, 'What would I do if this child was NOT Indigenous ?" If the clear answer was to take the child into care, then they take the child immediately into care, no questions, no ifs, no buts.

How many times can a child be taken into care, returned, and taken into care again, before - from bitter experience - social workers KNOW that the disruption will do serious damage to the child ? Once ? Twice ? A maximum of three strikes and the child is immediately put up for adoption ?

Children are not property. They are sacred obligations.

As a side-issue,

"Until the father was about 19, he, his parents, their extended families and siblings were identified, and self-identified, as Anglo-Australians.

"None of his relatives was identified by the community or claimed to be Aboriginal.

"When the father was about 19, his paternal grandmother told him she was Aboriginal."

I would have loved to hear what his grandmother actually said: if she said that she was born a 'Native', an Australian Native, i.e. an Anglo, locally-born, not a ring-in from the UK.

Hi Big Nana,

I'm sure you would know of many, many cases of neglect, neglect so severe that it has led to a child's death ? Life in the Soy-Latte-Kale suburbs is so utterly different, that the chatterati living there would have not a clue about realities, but still have a dismal influence over policy.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 25 February 2016 11:42:50 AM
"Judges should rule on law and facts, not feelings" if the author could point to judge that does that would be great.
Even better can the Author explain the process the would dehumanize the Judge so that they could, only deal with facts.

The next question I have would we actually want a judicial system that only dealt in facts.

As to the idea that race should be considered in these sort of cases, I say it should not.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 25 February 2016 11:53:17 AM
I couldn't agree with you more BIG NANA, children must be placed with those people best able to give them the necessary protection and care available. Ethnicity has no bearing on it; their safety, welfare and proper care is what it's all about.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 25 February 2016 11:58:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australians have allowed their judges to become left activists.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 25 February 2016 11:58:36 AM
Cobber,

Judges are required - given that every decision could set a precedent - to adhere as closely as possible to the facts of every case. I don't understand what you mean by the 'dehumanising' of judges. Surely every decision of judges depends on their 'humanising', on taking into account all the human factors, especially those affecting the children ? Regardless of the 'culture', etc., etc. of anybody else involved ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 25 February 2016 12:03:25 PM
Well, there are always more than just the bare facts, such as extenuating circumstance the the judge must also weigh, so I tend to disagree with the author, but mostly with Big Nana, Suse, and O Sung.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 25 February 2016 12:25:52 PM
Yes Rhosty, far better to leave children to be sexually abused, neglected and ignored as long as " culture" is supported. Mind you, the only culture these kids have any contact with is the culture of alcohol, drugs, gambling and violence. Something we should all embrace and celebrate eh?
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 25 February 2016 2:52:50 PM
I don't see much passing on of 'culture' in families where grog, drugs and violence are the norm. I would have thought that the vital parts of 'culture' were the social relations within a group, and the means by which they kept the group going: the economy and ethos.

Traditionally, people may have looked after each other on the one hand, and put a lot of effort into making sure everybody was fed on the other, and on top of that, passed on those principles to the next generation. That's the theory anyway.

In real life ? I get the idea that ration and mission systems [and then the welfare system generally], with the best of intentions, did two things: they eliminated the need to make sure everybody had enough to sustain them; and they immediately transformed the amount of effort required to do anything - a double whammy.

So 'culture' was stripped of its main rationales, leaving what ? Young people don't have access to secret knowledge and stories, so that may not ever come up. How to paint yourself (Adam Goodes is now an expert), do a few dances, but for most of the time, young people would be left to find their own way, and how to keep out of the way of 'uncles' etc. when everybody had a skinful.

So kids are on the streets at three in the morning, only kids seem to have any energy (much as mice would have energy in the context of cats), and everybody seems to drag themselves around like they've got lead weights on, bored sh!tless.

So it must be hard enough in the best circumstances, with the best grandmothers.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 25 February 2016 4:12:06 PM
Big Nana; I think you should read me again if only to ascertain I was mostly agreeing with your and Susan's position.

While a sentencing judge is obliged to weigh extenuating circumstance, as would exist in the case of a battered wife using lethal force to end the abuse.

Even so, I see no merit in returning children to their abusers, or even grandparents, given what the abuser regards as normal or "CULTURE" is often learned at their mother's knee.

We fostered a child, for around 3 months while her battered mum recovered in hospital.

And the saddest day when an ass of a law forced us to give her up and send her back, even as she clung and begged to stay!

I'm certain that that little heartbroken girl was going back into danger?

Had a judge been able to take evidence from the child and then weigh the extenuating circumstances? And the kid's wishes, maybe there could have been another outcome?

But the law is the law and we were simply powerless before it, and the completely heartless bureaucrats enforcing it; regardless of how much we and Julie wished for it to be different!

I made it my business to keep tabs on Julie as long as I could, but then the parents moved interstate, leaving no forwarding address, where with no known record, and consequent red flag, they could just be another of those sad cases repeating itself?

From a purely personal perspective, I don't think there's a black way or a white way, just a right way!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 25 February 2016 7:31:13 PM
Mr Justice Rae Else-Mitchell once said to me there is no school which teaches the Art of judging I think the University of Life teaches people trained in the law how to apply the law and that should be the Art of Judging.
Unfortunately many Judges try to be Solomon and they fall well short just as Solomon would fall well short of what a 21st Century Judge should be.
The Federal Court is out of control on family matters, they are short staffed, the delays compound problems, and too much emotion is allowed into the proceedings particularly from biased social workers.
The Judges need to realise they are not Solomon, nor are they the High Court (which interprets the Law), lower Court Judges should apply the Law and nothing but the Law.
Posted by nemesis 82, Thursday, 25 February 2016 10:40:42 PM
Sorry if I got it wrong Rhosty. But my heart just breaks over all those kids I see living in conditions the RSPCA wouldn't leave a dog in and exposed to so much violence. And such loving, needy kids who crave affection and stability and take so much pleasure from the simple things other kids take for granted.
And I feel such anger towards those who would deny these kids any chance of a normal loving home.
Posted by Big Nana, Thursday, 25 February 2016 10:46:38 PM
Deborah Melville.

Foster child Deborah died in the dirt in a suburban Darwin backyard, propped against a trailer. She was suffering from a leg infection which had spread into the bone, and was visited by FACS case workers the day before she died. A FACS worker assured the child, “I am not here to take you away.” A manslaughter trial and coronial inquiry was told that Deborah probably died in excruciating pain, and that she had been unable to control her bowel and bladder in the days before her death. Because of this, her carers, Denise Reynolds and Tony Melville, put her outside to sit in the dirt. One witness told the manslaughter hearing that Reynold’s had said that “If Deborah wanted to wet and soil herself, she can go outside and do it like an animal.”

Though Deborah was living in filthy circumstances, FACS reported that she was “happy and healthy.”

Peter.

Seven week old Peter starved to death in the back of a hot car on the Stuart Highway in 2005. Peter was born to a drug using mother who’s six other children were known to FACS. In 2002, one of the children, a daughter, was taken (stolen?) and taken to Alice Springs Hospital at three months old, “haunted and looking like a bony skeleton.”
Peter at death weighed 1kg less than his birth weight, and during his brief life, There were various attempts to remove Peter from his mother’s care, but she was unco-operative, and FACS did not ask the police to forcibly remove (steal) the child.

Joy.

Joy was assessed by health workers as being ‘at risk of severe harm”, and she was one of eight teenage girls in a remote mining town who were being sexually abused by a government official. The teenager, who was born with fetal alcohol syndrome, had a long history of neglect in her aboriginal family. As early as two, she was deposited at a local health clinic because nobody was looking after her. But repeated attempts by the police to get FACS to intervene to protect Joy came to nothing.
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 26 February 2016 2:58:17 AM
The only thing wrong with Gary Johns perceptive article is that even he seems to accept the "Stolen Generations" myth.

Here is an article which quite plainly reveals that aboriginal children were taken by welfare officers for damned good reasons. They are still being removed from unacceptable circumstances today, and incredibly, there are aboriginal activists screaming about a "new stolen generation" instead of admitting that too aboriginal parents do not look after their kids. By even mentioning the so called "Stolen Generations" without comment, within an article concerned about the plight of aboriginal children, Johns is inadvertently perpetuating the myth.

The principle of human equality is a wonderful concept. But the reality is, that people barely out of the stone age, and who still wish to keep their stone age culture, are not going to behave the way civilised people are supposed to behave. To say that these people are equal, are able to manage their own affairs, and then give them the tight to drink alcohol, was always going to end in catastrophe.

The old way of treating aboriginal people with paternal care with administrators, who prevented the worst excesses of barbarism in aboriginal communities, was the better option. Of course there are some aboriginal people who are smart enough for full requalify with the rest of the population, but equality should mean just that. Equal rights and equal responsibilities.

Prior to the referendum which recognised all aboriginal people as equal to other Australians, those who worked the closest with aboriginal people predicted catastrophe if aboriginal people were given the right to drink alcohol. These people were condemned as "racists" even though time has proven that they were right. Banning tribal aboriginal people from drinking alcohol is the only solution. That this contradicts "Human Rights" is emblematic that something is fundamentally wrong with the whole concept of "Human Rights."
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 26 February 2016 3:25:56 AM
"The Australian" newspaper. Sept. 26 2002.

Lawyers claim that aborigines are coping tougher sentences but aboriginal men still make up the vast majority of killers in the Northern Territory, and aboriginal women comprise most of the victims. Aborigines account for only 24% of the population of the Northern Territory but 13 of the 15 homicide victims so far this year are aborigines. Seven of the 13 aboriginal victims were women.

The figures, obtained from NT Police, only show cases where the killers were charged and do not reveal the true extent of intra aboriginal homicide.

While the Territory is often called "the murder capitol of Australia" because so many killers are initially charged with murder, the reality is that aboriginal people are much less likely to face trial for murder. Jail statistics show that while 81% of prisoners serving time for manslaughter, or dangerous act causing death, are aboriginal, only 45% of those jailed for murder are aboriginal.

Lawyers say aborigines, unlike whites, rarely premeditate killings and there is always alcohol involved. There are also admissions of guilt and expressions of remorse. By the time that they reach the courts the charges have been reduced to manslaughter or dangerous act causing death.

Mark Jubarula Miller's case is a case in point. Miller was found responsible for the most sadistic seen in the Territory last year. Millar beat the woman so badly that pathologists were unable to ascertain which blow had actually killed her.

Justice Milldren said it was "no excuse that aboriginal society tolerates violence towards women to some degree." Miller was sentenced to 10 years, but will be out in 5 if he behaves. The Territory Prosecutor, Mr Miller, said that there could be no comparison with the series of Sydney gang rapes in which one perpetrator got 55 years but left his victim alive, and Miller, who had inflicted a bizarre sexual assault which left his victim dead.
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 26 February 2016 3:34:06 AM
LEGGO

Thanks for the information.

The FACS workers (referring to the above cases) should immediately be sacked. So much for looking after the welfare of children – their cases. Or is that what these children are – a number among their case loads, no care, compassion, empathy shown to any of the above children by FACS staff.

*Rest in Peace little Deborah* - we all let you down.

BIG NANNA – I also cried when I originally read about Deborah, and couldn’t believe these so-called foster parents met who’s criteria for - children at risk - to be placed in their home?

Your post-

“Justice Milldren said it was "no excuse that aboriginal society tolerates violence towards women to some degree." Miller was sentenced to 10 years, but will be out in 5 if he behaves.

There should be ZERO tolerance for violence being committed on any female – no matter what race, creed or colour.

This murderer should have been sentenced to 30 years minimum!

The Territory Prosecutor Mr Miller states “ there could be no comparison with the series of Sydney gang rapes in which one perpetrator got 55 years but left his victim alive, and Miller, who had inflicted a bizarre sexual assault which left his victim dead”.

I guess there is little difference – to him – in determining sentencing, except for the fact that maybe this murderer was an aboriginal, so he goes for the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Taxpayers dollars pay aboriginal agencies $30B per annum – where are the funds going?
contd
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 26 February 2016 8:03:51 AM
Why aren’t all aboriginal children attending school daily?

Why aren’t children being fed properly nor receiving satisfactory health services?

Why doesn’t the Government ban all alcohol? If they not working, tax dollars pay welfare benefits, money going on grog, we get the violence factor again, children not being fed – no money for food, etc.

If children are in abusive homes – they should be taken away. This does not make it a “stolen child”, it takes a child out of harm from being beaten, abused or violated.
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 26 February 2016 8:06:56 AM
SAINTS, if you read the transcript of the inquest into Deborah's death you will see that at least one caseworker raised the issue of the conditions Deborah and her siblings were living in. But she was told by a worker at the Aboriginal Placement agency not to impose her middle class white values onto aboriginal people and create another Stolen Generation. In the NT there is a huge fear amongst public servants of being seen to be racist, and they don't get much support from their superiors.
Deborah's case is just one of many. Aboriginal kids are placed with family members who do not fit the usual criteria demanded in white foster parents and frequently are no better off than if they were left with their parents.
Posted by Big Nana, Friday, 26 February 2016 9:01:23 AM
Hi LEGO,

Gary was probably taking for granted that the 'Stolen Generations' myth was just that, and moving on from there.

Hi Big Nana,

Yes, isn't it racist to cover up abuse and neglect ? Surely social workers have to call it as they see it, even if it means that they put their jobs at risk ? And what is their union doing about it all ? Surely the welfare of children outweighs somebody else's waving of the SG boogey-man at social workers ? Whatever happened to courage and truth and integrity ?

God, I'm so naďve :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 26 February 2016 9:13:29 AM
Big Nana

If that’s the case. Why haven’t we heard anything from Senator Peris as she is the Senator for Northern Territory?

Why also haven’t the media exposed the above issues.

Loudmouth

You took the words right out of my mouth. My comments exactly.
Posted by SAINTS, Sunday, 28 February 2016 1:49:38 AM
Saints,

You do me proud, sir. I dips me lid.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 28 February 2016 2:04:58 PM
Loudmouth

If the truth as to extent of violence and abuse is reported - those reporting the facts will probably be called racists for exposing issues.

Aboriginal people also have to "want" to help themselves into education and employment. However, I do understand it's tuff on kids if parents are constantly drunk, violent and abusive to children and partners.

Am going to do some further research and send an email to Senator Peris and Senator Scullion - both Government Ministers for NT.

Will be interesting to see what response I get to questions regarding - levels of abuse, health, education, people in custody, employment, agencies, government funding, removal of children, etc.

Senator Peris has been in Government (and Minister for NT) since 2013.

Senator Scullion has been in Government (and Minister for NT) since 2001.
Posted by SAINTS, Monday, 29 February 2016 11:07:05 PM
Hi Saints,

Senator Peris is a labor Party senator, she is not a government minister.

I suspect that conditions have got so bad in rural and remote populations that a point of no return has been reached, that - as conditions are at present - things can only get worse, if that's possible.

So either we, the governments, the bureaucracy and service workers involved, tolerate those conditions as spectators and grumblers, OR major initiatives have to be implemented, OR some more drastic action is needed.

Maybe Indigenous practices in rural and remote populations have successfully found ways around every positive initiative devised so far. Every government 'plot' is 'foiled'. People find ways around every initiative to stay on welfare for life, and condemn their kids to it as well.

Meanwhile the 'leaders' shield those populations from criticism and scrutiny, in a classic top-down, patron-client system, so familiar to students of corrupt societies around the world. The sorry lesson of those societies is that they can never be reformed, only overthrown: Marcos, Mobutu, Idi Amin, etc. - and there are very few etcs to name. A well-organised corrupt system is very hard to shift.

Meanwhile, in the towns and cities, fifteen or sixteen per cent of all adults are university graduates - with women outnumbering men two to one - around twice the proportion of ten or twelve years ago. So totally dysfunctional rural and remote populations are not the only game in town.

And if conditions are positive in the cities, can 'leaders' learn anything from this experience ? Don't hold your breath.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 1 March 2016 8:54:56 AM
Hi Loudmouth

DUH I meant to say Senator Peris. I watch (or tape) question time in Upper House and Senate - daily.

Always interesting.
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 1 March 2016 11:46:58 PM
No worries, Saints :)

To get back to topic, sort of, can anybody doubt that the Child Sex Abuse commissioners currently politely questioning Cardinal "Big Man" Pell would have to be extremely careful to avoid the slightest suspicion of passion, involvement, subjective interpretation and bias ?

Thankfully, we out here in the non-responsible world of cyberspace, aren't so restricted. Perhaps I'm completely alone on this thread in suggesting that anybody working with children should be routinely under surveillance by colleagues and parents for the slightest sign of impropriety.

I taught for only a year, but (perhaps I'm retro-remembering, as happens with all oral memory) tried to be vigilant, and certainly conscious, of the need to keep a distance from kids, never to be alone with a child in the classroom without the door wide open and some physical distance between us, not to touch children, etc. Sometimes a kid might come up in the playground and suddenly hug you, which, with 1.3-metre kids, can be embarrassing, with their head in your crotch. But you find ways to avoid that.

Or should do. And so it should be for priests, social workers, carers, etc., who might work with children, especially one-to-one. Surely fellow-workers are keeping an eye on each other for that sort of behaviour ? Surely parents as well ? Doesn't the Catholic Church have anything like parents' committees ?

I absolutely can't believe that Pell didn't know, or suspect, almost from the outset, even from his own observations of over-familiarity, that nothing ever, ever, was going on. 'Coaches' horsing around with boys in the change rooms ? In the pool ? Oops, that's getting a bit close to Pell himself, I apologise in advance, just in case he is innocent of any such behaviour.

Now we see him trying to pass the buck onto an 86-year-old, very sick, 'colleague' - who may be guilty as hell, but no less than others closer to Pell.

No wonder commissioners have to stay squeaky-clean, and stick to the evidence before them. But hopefully, never to sweep it under the carpet again.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 2 March 2016 8:03:29 AM
Hi Loudmouth

Will come back to you later tonight with response to your post.

Am still watching today's evidence by Cardinal Pell.
Posted by SAINTS, Wednesday, 2 March 2016 11:19:27 AM
Hi Loudmouth

Agree with your comments, however listening and watching Cardinal Pell’s evidence I believe he was certainly extremely well briefed to stay on point from 2nd day onwards.

I found him most – cold, and still certainly don’t believe he wasn’t aware – even as a junior priest – in the 70’s that abuse was going on among members of the clergy, such abuse which continued throughout his career to appointment as Cardinal – and beyond. That's my opinion.

Telegraph 4/3/ - “A St Patricks College student complained to him (Pell) in 1974 that priest Ted Dowlan was “misbehaving with boys”.

Cardinal Pell confessed he did nothing with the “very serious” allegation.

It was only after a rebuke from Commissioner Peter McClellan, who suggested he should have told school authorities or the police, that Cardinal Pell conceded he had erred in not raising the alarm.

By way of explanation, the third most powerful Catholic in the world and current Vatican treasurer said, “People had a different attitude then. There was no specifics about the activity, how serious it was – and the boy wasn’t asking me to do anything about it, just lamenting and mentioning it”. (end of article)

I would have thought a young boy feeling compelled to tell “someone in charge” about a priest abusing students should have sent a warning “red flag” to Pell – but no. Nothing to see here. Pell let this young boy (and many others) down.

Pell states “that attitudes were different then”. No Cardinal Pell – rape and abuse of any child by anyone is just as disgusting and abhorrent then - as it is to all decent human beings today.

No child asked to be born, as such no one has any right to rape or abuse any child!
Cont'd
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 4 March 2016 5:45:05 PM
Cont'd

The cover up was so extensive and continued for decades.

Pell’s was asked what changes could/should be made within the Catholic Church in order to protect children, he quoted the need to look at rules of Canon Law and the Testament etc, etc.

In other words, don't hold your breath for solutions any time soon.

Pell states now he believes his accompanying Ridsdale to Court was an error on his part!

Gee, for the third most powerful Catholic in the World – he certainly not the “sharpest tool in the shed”.

Daily Telegraph – 3/3/ - Seven More Boys Assaulted

“A Christian Brother has pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting seven boys more than 30 years ago.

William Peter Standen, 66, pleaded guilty in Sydney District Court yesterday to seven counts of indecent assault committed between 1978 and 1981, when he was a boarding house master at a private school in Goulburn.

He had been due to go on trial this week but will now face a sentence hearing on April 15. Standen pleaded guilty last year to similar offences against 11 other boys.” (End of article)

I applaud the brave Ballarat child abuse survivors and supporters travelling to Rome to witness Pell’s evidence.

I hope other children who were abused by anyone in the past, whether it be by members of the Catholic Church, Anglican Church, Salvation Army or any other institution/s will now have the courage to stand up, come forward and report that abuse to Police.

Some have lived their lives “filled with shame” as victims of abuse in the belief it was somehow their fault - well, it wasn’t.

These innocent children were abused by deviant, calculating, child predators.
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 4 March 2016 5:52:39 PM
Hi Saints,

Power. Power over children. power to do what you like with nobody watching. Catholics. C of E. State-employed social workers. Etc. Etc. Power.

So what are the churches doing, now, this moment, about changing the procedures so that any complaint from a child, any charge, is immediately referred to police ? Perhaps with a mandatory copy of charges to be sent to head office ?

1. Clearly, Catholic priests should have the right to get married, then they can have sexual relations to their hearts' content, and leave little boys and girls alone

2. Anybody with oversight over children should never been in a position of being sequestered alone with children, in situations where nobody else could have the chance of observation;

3. Children's claims should be treated as bona fide, and investigated as much and as quickly as possible, not swept aside, BUT if no evidence is produced, that's it. Somebody's reputation is already probably trashed.

Yes, we all have some story of a girl (or boy) in high school accusing a teacher, etc., but even there, there would have to be some evidence. Negotiating life is hard enough.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 4 March 2016 6:13:33 PM
Loudmouth and Big Nanna - another FACS - cases of neglect!

Daily Telegraph – 4/3/ - Teenage crime wave ends in sick attack on 7 year old - RAMPAGE

I quote – “The state government is urgently investigating how at least 20 children in its care were able to carry out a year-long crime rampage allegedly culminating in the rape of a seven-year-old-girl.

Despite more than 500 police calls regarding the youths in the care of the Coffs Harbour-based Wundarra Services last year – including the alleged rapes of three children and 27 assaults – appeals by police to government authorities achieved little.

Wundarra Services provides care for children with “extremely complex needs” at a series of safe houses in the region run by professional carers.

It receives $2.3 million in funding per year as part of a contract arrangement with the State Government.

In one of the most shocking claims, a seven-year-old girl was allegedly raped in public toilets at Moonee Beach in January by a 14-year-old who was under the care of the service.

Minister for Family and Community Services Brad Hazzard yesterday said he was horrified and had spoken to the NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian.

Coffs Harbour MP Andrew Fraser said the funding should stop if an investigation showed the service was failing to properly supervise and guide the young people.

The Daily Telegraph understands police have repeatedly raised concerns about Wundarra with government authorities.

The 14-year-old has been charged with sexual intercourse with a girl aged under 10 and two counts of indecent assault.

It follows 503 criminal incidents recorded by Coffs Harbour police in 2015 involving teenagers being cared for by Wundarra.

These include eight sexual offences – six of them against children, 23 domestic violence offences, robbery, 27 assaults and three police pursuits.

There were also 55 apprehended violence orders taken out against juveniles in residential care with the service.
Cont'd
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 4 March 2016 6:37:17 PM
Cont'd

A spokeswoman for Wundarra said it had no comment.

A FACS spokewoman said, as the matter related to children in care, it was unable to comment further." (End of article)

Wundarra should be closed down. $2.3 million of taxpayers moneys paying for what?

Wundarra's level of "care" to children by current staff must be fully investigated. Staff must be sacked!

FACS stated - as the matter related to children in care etc.... what care? FACS must also be fully investigated. Staff must be sacked!

Coffs Harbour police in 2015 recorded 503 criminal offences involving teenagers being "cared" for by Wundarra.

If, as article states - Coffs Harbour police have repeatedly raised concerns about Wundarra with government authorities - those relevant government authorities should be fully investigated and if said staff found to have ignored Coffs Harbour police's plea for action - they should be sacked.

This is tantamount to criminal neglect of children.

Disgraceful and totally unacceptable level of care provided to all children within the supposed "safe" care of adult staff at Wundarra!

We read again - further cases of abuse of children within a "care" facility.

Relevant government Minister must seek a full review and report within 48 hours. Children are obviously not "safe" within Wundarra.
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 4 March 2016 7:00:34 PM
Hi Saints,

The inconvenient fact for many Indigenous organisations is that they actually have to do something. They get funded from here, there and every bloody where, and usually can pass the buck for non-results, on the excuse that 'Well, what do you expect, we're working with blackfellas', i.e. a racist excuse, used by Indigenous people. But happily, they find ways around this requirement.

I don't want to delve into the murky world of Indigenous pedophiles, exploiting their positions, I'll leave that to the courts, who will presumably consider these matters in due course, at least one would hope.

But the usual condition of operation of Indigenous organisations is stasis, or, in less elegant terms, doing bugger-all for their money. And so nothing much changes. But on the bright side, many people, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, do quite well out of it. It has struck me lately that perhaps Indigenous people are the most individualist, the most self-interested, people in the world. Surely not ? Surely not all of them ? Surely, only those in positions of power and control of the money ?

Wow, there's an intriguing thesis topic.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 4 March 2016 8:10:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy