The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > David Bowie was an artist not a prophet > Comments

David Bowie was an artist not a prophet : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 19/1/2016

The point of this piece has little to do with Mr Bowie per se (whom I think might have agreed with at least some of it) and everything to do with our response to his passing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I saw David in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

As an actor he was a journeyman, with a predilection to overact, I thought.

As a stage performer, he was a consummate showman and a leader in his genre, whatever that was?

I never thought enough of him to pay good money to see anything of his, and was not too surprised, when he climbed back into the closet in order to become a husband and a father?

Even so I understand he was an outspoken critic of all things homophobic.

As indeed I am, although straight, often mistaken for one of the gay community.

I believe we had something in common as small L liberals, with a strong social conscience and an inherent sense of social/natural justice?

My commiserations to all his family, friends and fans.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 8:33:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhosty, David Bowie was never in the closet.

He was a truly great artist, though it did take a while to forgive him for selling out to Microsoft.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 12:39:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can see the author’s point, and partly agree with it. I certainly dislike the fierce, shallow, emotions and hyperbole that the death of celebrities excites nowadays. The Diana outpouring seems to have started an unfortunate trend.

I was saddened by Bowie’s death, because his music was the soundtrack of my youth, and once mattered to me in that intense way that music affects teenagers. But I won’t be weeping or painting my face with Aladdin Sane lightning bolts.

I’m not sure about not being prophetic, though. It depends what you mean by “prophet”. In popular culture, prophesy equals preternatural foresight. Bowie was on the leading edge of some social trends, and by his music and personas he probably affected and accelerated changes in culture and social attitudes, notably on sexuality.

Biblical prophets weren’t actually supernatural forecasters, though, or even necessarily world-changers, at least in their own time. They saw clearly the nature and shortcomings of their culture, and stated uncomfortable truths about the world they lived in. Some of these insights were so profound and enduring they were preserved as prophetic texts.

If we have any prophets in the modern world, they are the artists. Mal says “It is after all in the nature of art to provoke questions and perhaps in doing so to suggest change.” That is precisely what makes it prophetic. Peter Sellick’s article published last week explores the relationship between art and theology from the other direction, and I think makes an important and relevant point: art is revelatory (though I doubt Peter would agree that Bowie was a prophet!).

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=17951

I landed on this article when browsing a religious website last night. From the title - ”All My Favourite Theologians Are Dying” - I expected a piece on the deaths of some American best-selling religious authors or serious German academics. But it was about David Bowie and Alan Rickman, and the way popular culture can express theologically profound ideas.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjM9Y-z77TKAhUBEpQKHRjMAVsQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsojo.net%2Farticles%2Fall-my-favorite-theologians-are-dying&usg=AFQjCNGJ11p1yvXvnYC3UXcG_pc-8DnoQw

So I don’t disagree with Mal’s assessment of Bowie, but I do perhaps with his definition of “prophet”
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 12:59:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To the author.

I understand the Queen offered Bowie a Knighthood in 2003, but he refused it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bowie#Awards_and_recognition

An Honour the Queen never offered You.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 1:18:13 PM
David B was not a prophet in any sense that is normal usage of the word. He may have been a talented muso but does that therefore qualify a 'talented pollie' [if in fact there are any] from being awarded a posthumous title of prophet. Perhaps the closest of past days some may think would be 'Prophet' Gough Whitlam had the right 'qualifications' - a booming voice, a shock of prophet-looking hair and not afraid to speak out . . . Perhaps all past serving PM's could be called prophets though that could be amended by some 'unkind' to 'prophets of doom' . . . . .
Posted by Citizens Initiated Action, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 8:11:10 PM
Wikipedia definition of a prophet states : "In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and to speak for them, serving as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people."

Obviously, neither Bowie, nor any other human being, can rightly be called a prophet if there are no 'supernatural' or 'Divine' beings ever actually proved to exist.

However, I think some may have called Bowie a prophet as a sort of slang expression to mean that he was an artist way before his time, and he was often the first to try some styles of singing, costumes and clothing etc.

I was sad to hear of his death for the same reasons as others...because he was a pop singer from my childhood and teenage years, and his songs bring back fond memories of good times.
I loved 'Pressure' which Bowie sung with Freddie Mercury...two fab singers at once!
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 8:30:34 PM
I grew up with David Bowie and loved him as an artist.
I was sad to hear of his passing and wish his family
my deepest sympathy. I thought David Bowie was unique,
and it is our loss that he's no longer with us. However
his artistry and music will live on and for that we can
all be grateful.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 7:12:38 AM
Hi Suseonline

Yes, if we take a narrow and literal definition of “prophet”, Bowie wasn’t one. But words can have more than one meaning. “Prophet” can also mean someone who anticipates the future, someone with particular insight on matters spiritual and transcendent, someone who provides imaginative, and usually critical, insights into their society and culture, and the spokesperson for a cause. All these meanings derive from the activities roles of religious prophets, but don’t necessarily require a religious element
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 20 January 2016 12:09:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy