The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Western civilisation is adrift in the world of ideas > Comments

Western civilisation is adrift in the world of ideas : Comments

By Pete Mulherin, published 14/1/2016

The groupthink of Left orthodoxy is accelerating the demise of liberal values on which Western culture was built.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hi Duck,

You make the comment that:

" .... Interesting start to the essay in its claim that we in the West are somehow "drifting in the world of ideas". This seems to suggest that the world-view promoted by Peter and his group-thinking fellow travellers is somehow ideology free - perhaps indicating that there is some kind of pre-existing "objectively" existed world "out there". "

I like those "somehows" :) They are vital when one wishes to build a straw man.

Nothing is ideology-free. I don't know what they teach at uni these days but we learnt that every statement is loaded with ideology of some sort, even if speaker or writers aren't aware of it. You and me alike, Duck. Marx could have taught you that.

But one question intrigued me about your statement that " .... Indeed most of the world's problems are now being caused by the back-to-the-past "traditionalists" of the three major Middle-Eastern so called "great" religions."

: Did you have any particular version of any particular religion in mind ?

Hints: bombings; knifings; rape and enslavement of minority women; mass shootings; machine-gunning of children ?

Take your time: think about it. No rush.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 15 January 2016 7:12:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article. I agree that a dialogue on what constitutes Western values should take place. However, the left have no interest in dialogue. There is no reforming the left via any kind of discussion. The only way to defeat the left is to withdraw all public funding from the institutions in which they thrive.
Posted by Aristocrat, Friday, 15 January 2016 7:29:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Pete,

The truth of the matter is that the bible is simply an interesting anthology of Judeo-Christian mythology similar to Greek mythology and Norse mythology.

It should be classified in libraries and found on our bookshelves as such. It should be studied for the important role it plays in the formation of Western culture.

Obviously, it will take time for that to happen, but time is of the essence if Christianity is to survive.

If that is what you want, Pete, allow me to suggest that Christianity will always have a place in Western culture if we accept it and learn to respect it for what it really is.

I am confident the truth will prevail.

It’s up to you and others of your generation to make that happen.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 15 January 2016 7:43:24 PM
“The West is very much adrift” and has been set adrift from its once secure moorings
By both a religious idea- “the Brotherhood of man”

And the same idea, basically, from the secular left hippy side.”love and peace brother,”
Which also translates in the Universities as the secular,”Human Rights, tolerance etc.

These two ideas are not based on fact, they are in fact, ideology.
Taught in churches and schools to try and change basic human biological behaviour so that the world will
Conform to this lovely idea of how we all wish it could be.

In factual biology, I know for certain that a man or woman who has lived in
A country far away is genetically not as close as my real brother or sister
Or members of my immediate tribe. Therefore when economic disaster strikes
And a fight for territory ensues, It is my immediate tribe I will fight to protect
And those who are genetically thousands of years unrelated, will be the
Enemy,and they will be equally determined to ethnically cleanse my immediate biological
Bloodline off the land and take the remaining resources, as well.

No brotherhood of man in existence in this situation.
It is real biological brothers who will protect each other not ideological brothers.

Nature sets the survival rules, not the church, or the hippy love and peace, leftists.

What they teach are fairy tales and they have set a once great Empire adrift from
It's own people, culture and loyalties,leading slowly to its ultimate demise.
Posted by CHERFUL, Saturday, 16 January 2016 4:52:23 PM
Hi Cherful,

What you say is right up to a point. But in the modern world, given that there is no 'genetic memory', that people are scattered all over the world and usually through no fault of their own personally, migrants to Australia come here, on the whole, to make the best of the opportunities here.

I don't think - given that we are talking about perhaps hundreds of different, disparate, unconnected groups - that the vast majority of migrants represent any sort of threat to Australia. In fact, again given that so many groups are genetically very distinct from the 'old' stock of Australians, that intermarriage would be the most wonderful advantage, that - as Darwin pointed out - 'hybrids' would most certainly inherit the best, the most attractive etc., of both groups involved. Difference in that case would enrich Austalia immensely. I wish I could live long enough to see my beautiful very-mixed great-great-grandkids.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 16 January 2016 5:45:54 PM
Cherful, just what century are you living in?
As Loudmouth says, the world is a very mixed place now, and mad wars over land and between 'tribes' are usually contained in third world countries.
Where do you live?
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 17 January 2016 4:11:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy