The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A Christmas in the Netherlands > Comments

A Christmas in the Netherlands : Comments

By John Töns, published 31/12/2015

Typically you would wrap a number of things – perhaps a lump of coal, or a carrot plus your real present.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Thanks John, lovely story and marvelous tradition.

I remember evening barbeques beside cool mountain streams and ice cold beer washing down the obligatory T bone.

Early mornings on Christmas day and my kids camped under the Christmas tree, followed by squeals of delight as they unwrapped their prezzies, the best and last that I shared, being bikes and a trampoline.

I also remember times that came later, the most memorable being sharing cups of billy tea around a campfire, with very good friends, who made me part of their family, and served melt in your mouth yellow belly, during a very different, lonely Christmas.

One of their guests was wheeled in in a wheelchair by his drop dead gorgeous blonde bombshell wife. She looked after him with an angelic devotion you'd need to see to believe.

As the day wore on into the evening, and homebrew replaced the tea, she bent over and stretched a very sore back, before she wheeled him back to the wagon and physically lifted him in.

She saw me looking and obviously wondering how she managed with a nurse's back, and simply, matter of factly remarked, but I love him.

Well that did it for me, I swung around to hide the tears that had bled from my eyes unbidden. When I regained my control, all I could say was, you lucky bastard. It was his turn to weep and nod!

The very best gift we can give anyone during this festive season, is to tell the ones you love how you feel about them, and just don't take what they give for granted or as a right.

Cause one day it could all come to an abrupt unexpected end for any number of reasons, one of which can be a life changing injury.

So treasure it while you have it and each other.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 1 January 2016 12:47:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy