The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Old, poor and lonely: the other side of the ageing story > Comments

Old, poor and lonely: the other side of the ageing story : Comments

By Ross Elliott, published 16/10/2015

The reality for a majority will be ongoing dependence on the aged pension and insufficient government or non-profit places to accommodate them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
GOP

Your mates are playing "lay down misere". It's legitimate. You need to design your bad hand for a win...find a way!
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 18 October 2015 7:10:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Susan sweetheart, I never meant to imply/infer that nursing homes rip off the old and lonely. But rather those that may stand to gain from the disbursement of assets?

Where there's a will there's always a relative! And then not every time; and the person/victim needs to be vulnerable and not properly protected?

And the state can be quite pedantic regarding the cost of aged care or funeral costs.

As nice as these "retirement" homes can be along with the Angels who for far too little, run them; I would rather die than be confined in one slowly vegetating in front of a tele or community singsong; or organised thingamebob; as my father did!

And not all who look after the old and lonely are absolute angels as I'm sure you are? For some it's just a pay packet, with the elderly just an inconvenience that needs to be managed.

I've heard of horror stories, people managed with catheters in them, contacting golden staph in flea infested institutions that seemingly care only about "efficiency " and the profit curve?

Shifts that reportedly include 40 hours off and 200 on with a cot?

And overworked folks all but dead on their feet having run from one genuine crisis to another; and absolute angels all but dead on their feet, because of a genuine commitment to the care of their geriatric responsibilities or disabled partners.

Geoff talks about the government teat. All true Geoff, but it's a lot smaller and less of an impost on the taxpayer, if folks can be kepmanaged at home, and die surrounded by their own.

I fully agree with Susan about relatives, some of whom can be quite heartless, just concerned about getting as much money from the estate as can be extracted?

A single pension is jusT 25% of the male average And the 15% a generous system returns to the resident may be required for washing powder for the communal machine etc. and personal care items, replacement of worn clothing etc.

The trouble with nursing homes is they're filled with old folks.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Sunday, 18 October 2015 8:30:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Geoff, it certainly sounds like you and your family have had an awful time of it.

I believe you will be better off if the Government decides to extend the areas involved with the new 'My Way' disability packages and services they are currently trialing in the Southwest and Perth Hills.
It has been set up with a huge injection of disability funds for those under 65 years who had originally not been dealt with as well as those over 65 years old living in the community.
It has been amazing how many hours of care and added extras have been given to disabled people who had previously not had enough care in their homes.

Unfortunately, up to now, it seems that only those critically injured like yourself in no-fault motor vehicle accidents, received anything near the support they needed to live in their own homes in the community.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 18 October 2015 11:41:53 AM
Thanks Suseonline, I totally agree with your views.

I just feel disappointed I have to hollow out my life saving and existing Super before I am given any outside assistance, and I am not asking for much, a health care card would be great just to offset the ridiculous cost of my medicine.

I am very fortunate my wife has the necessary experience to care for me at home as well as run the house and care for our two boys aged 8 and 11. Without her I do not know what I would do?

Prior to my accident I was almost debt free and undertaking a tree change, now I have a three quarters finished house on 13 acres 1 hour south of Perth, not disability friendly, and have rented a house near Perth due to medical reasons. With my small mortgage and now rent plus additional living expenses I know we face some very tough decisions in the near future, such is life I guess.

I just get annoyed as I know with a little bit of support things may have turned out much easier.

In hindsight I would have been better off unemployed and just another slacker happy to suckle off the govt teat, unfortunately for me I am just not that way inclined, ironic isn't it!
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Sunday, 18 October 2015 12:36:31 PM
Without wanting to sound contentious Susie but my wife has had direct contact with ' My Way' disability packages. They are not all they are cut out to be. Her brother with down syndrome was receiving 24/7 care. Now despite no family members living within hundreds of kilometres of her brother the family is told their is not enough in the trough for the needed care. Another good friend who has a severely disabled friend is being somewhat abandoned. I am not saying for one moment it should be all Government responsibility however I have been sickened by the fact that now some ngo's are picking and choosing who they look after. Wherever their is tax payer money the vultures are attracted.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 18 October 2015 3:00:34 PM
Suseonline, all state, territory & local governments have during the mining boom built heaps of public housing. the only reason we have poor Australian pensioners on the waiting list is because left wing bleeding hearts insist on bringing in migrants.
Posted by imacentristmoderate, Sunday, 18 October 2015 6:07:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy