The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Saving the world from global warming > Comments

Saving the world from global warming : Comments

By Peter McCloy, published 21/9/2015

There is evidence that at present, climate change is not the main cause of coastal erosion, water shortages or overcrowding. Other issues, especially population growth and the move to Western lifestyles, are having a more immediate impact.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Kiribati most definitely has a problem with climate change, and sea level rise. Briefly the problems are more extreme weather events, leading to coastal erosion, storm surges causing more flooding, and damage to the coral reefs from cyclones and storms. To top it all off this part of the globe is subject to a wide variation of sea levels with El Nino events producing much higher sea levels, the resulting flooding is also getting worst due to increasingly heavier rain events during El Ninos. As we are heading into a strong El Nino event we can expect to see some serious flooding in the Islands this year.

Anyway lets just ignore all that and just blame the locals for using to much fresh water !

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2015/mar/11/climate-change-in-the-marshall-islands-and-kiribati-before-and-after-interactive
Posted by warmair, Saturday, 26 September 2015 4:20:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Popnperish

"Atolls rise with sea-levels but not at the current pace, or certainly not the pace we will see in coming decades. They will be swamped. "

Rubbish. Show your evidence for your basless assertion (your statemetn of your belief). There is absolutely nothing unusual about the current rate of sea level rise or the projected rate comnpared with the rate that sea levels rose coing out of the last glaciation. Atols keep pace with sea level rise no matter whthere it is caused by them sinking or sea level rising. And many times faster than current. YTou are simply ignorant.

"No, I didn't read your paper because I stick to reputable scientific journals for my information. "

Again what rubbish. You are refusing to read even the most authoritaive papers probably because they do not support your beliefs. Perhaps you'd like to list the journals you accept on the economics of climate damages, and provide the estimates of the net costs of sea levels rise of 0.5 and 1 m by 2100, compare the key assumptions and inputs and and explain why those papers should be regarded as more authjoritative than the one I quoted (a key input to AR4). You may also like to explain why AR5 walked back a long way form their previous claimes about dangerous consequences of climate change.

"Mine are not 'beliefs'; just facts based on scientific evidence. "

More baseless assertions. Your beliefs and opions are simply thos of the catastrophic climate cultists. You'ver demonstrated no ability to think for yourself, or to objecitvely analyse the relevant facts.

But, you've already made it clear you are simply a gullible cultists, with nothing to ovffer except repoetition of the cultists beliefs, with nothing to support your beliefs otrher that "you believe". So, really, you are just a waste of time.
Posted by Peter Lang, Saturday, 26 September 2015 4:32:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter Lang

The accusations you make of me should be turned around and applied to you.

Like it or not, climate change is an issue that the islanders will have to confront - are already confronting - but the immediate problem is misuse and overuse of available resources, largely because of excessive population growth.
Posted by popnperish, Sunday, 27 September 2015 8:29:54 AM
"Like it or not, climate change is an issue that the islanders will have to confront"

Climnate change is always an issue. However, GHG emisisons is a trivial issue compared with real issues. It is extremnely foolish to rant on about it without the slightest understanding of costs and benefits. It's just plain stupid to advoicate for wasing $1.5 trillion per year on the climate industry for no benefit. And that is what gullible climate cultists (i.e. deniers of the rlevant facts) do continually and as you are doing.

You continually repeat your beliefs but they are simply unsubstantiated beliefs. You have nothing to support them.

I've explained the way to reduce global population growth rate. You apparently don't have sufficient background to understand it. Trying to impose your beliefs is similar to what the religious preachers did to the islanders long ago.
Posted by Peter Lang, Sunday, 27 September 2015 9:20:45 AM
Ice melt going on around the world is increasing, do you have an antidote for that as well. Why would ice and permafrost melt if we did not have climate change.
Posted by doog, Sunday, 27 September 2015 12:51:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy