The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > QandA's virtues and vices, and the self-censoring of the left > Comments

QandA's virtues and vices, and the self-censoring of the left : Comments

By Tristan Ewins, published 7/9/2015

The tighter we limit free speech the more likely it is that our enemies will apply those standards to us as well one day.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Aristocrat - In my experience Marxist political economy was being frozen out of academia over 20 years ago. Today I think its almost impossible to get an academic position on the basis of teaching Marxism - except perhaps at the relative margins of a course. Of course we're both just giving our impressions... I would gladly trade balance in academia for balance in the mass media!

BTW Fairfax is part-owned by Gina now. Yes they come out with critical stuff. But they're undependable come an election based on past experience. BTW the broadsheet market has The Australian. There's no real competitor in most states to Murdoch in the tabloid market.
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Saturday, 12 September 2015 10:07:12 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To clarify: I would agree to balance in academia if I got balance in the mass media in return. I thought my last post was open to misinterpretation.
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Saturday, 12 September 2015 11:15:47 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy