The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No financial claims scheme levy is a good decision > Comments

No financial claims scheme levy is a good decision : Comments

By Ken Davis, published 3/9/2015

An up front fee has no basis in logic, because Australia's depositor preference arrangements mean that the risk of loss to taxpayers from the FCS is negligible.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Rhosty, the GST's a turnover tax but at least it doesn't cascade. Businesses claim back the GST they pay, and many transactions are exempt.

I have always been against the GST. For the last decade I've advocated replacing it with a broad based land tax, though I recognise that would have to be phased in over many years to avoid being unduly unfair to existing landowners.

The GST is regressive, but a transaction tax, whether at 1/3%, 2% or 5%, is far worse. And removing our ability to trade without involving the government is worst of all.

Stupidity's rarely in short supply among economists, but very few were dumb enough to support the PHONy Party's 2% transaction tax. Most correctly realised that it would destroy the financial sector (which relies on low margin transactions) and make businesses less competitive (due to the extra 2% cost of B2B transactions).

What is the source of your extraordinary figure that tax compliance costs average around 7% of the averaged bottom line?
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 4 September 2015 1:16:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy