The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Metadata's gift to historians > Comments

Metadata's gift to historians : Comments

By Brett Goodin, published 5/8/2015

As a well-meaning historian in the data-capturing world that is coming to a gadget near you, I look forward to perusing your metadata for the benefit of future generations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Ho hum, When has our "government" ever cared what we the people think, except for the few weeks preceding every election!

They've rigidly resisted equality, a long overdue bill of irrevocable rights, or adding more than poetry to the preamble to recognise our indigenous peoples!?

How can we therefore expect them to recognise the individual's inherent right to privacy.

After all it's not their metadata, it's our metadata, which should at the very least be collected as anonymous data! Much in the way census information is collected now?

By all means, red flag some behaviour; but let's not treat ordinary decent folk as if they all are potential criminals, the way our current gun laws seem to

Perhaps if this had been flagged before the election?

And clearly not expected due to the findings of the Germans and others!

What are we saying? Our intelligence officials are a lot brighter than theirs!?

We've given Assange what for for sticking his sticky beak in where it was uninvited; yet want to do the same with information that is just as private as the private musings of Madam Secretary!

Perhaps we could all have CCTV cameras inside our houses, so a clearly invading your privacy government, can know everything we get up to, read or look at, in the so called inviolate, privacy of our own homes.

What ever happened to the notion, a man's home is his castle!

But then this party has a habit/history of not revealing very much pre-election about anything the people have an absolute right to know about, given it is to be done in our name, and without our informed consent?

Apparently the only privacy not inviolate is ours?

If you've got nothing to hide?

Except perhaps your most private inmost thoughts and peccadilloes, all revealed in whole or part by Metadata, and a boon to the historians?

I wouldn't mind if this stuff was buried in an anonymous time capsule, for just that purpose?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 5 August 2015 12:15:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You know I'm going to have to be blatently honest and I don't care if it offends you.

If you think it's ok to go through other peoples private information to get an understanding of or make judgements about them then its only fair you stand up to the same scrutiny.

With that in mind, I want to say that YOU seem like the kind of creepy person that would get their jollies going through peoples dirty-clothes baskets to sniff their undergarments when they aren't around.

At what point does a regular doctor become Joseph Mengler?
Or a nuclear physicist decide to create nuclear bombs?
Or a genetic engineer start creating human hybrids?

- I'm sure these people consider themselves well meaning as well.

Why is it that people who spend years in a certain discipline become so brainwashed by making further successes in their fields that they lose their moral compass? Anyone?
At what point does anyone think its ok to advocate that information about peoples private lives are made public record?
- And have such a broken moral compass that they proudly state it?

Is it just me or does anyone else find this authors admissions and intentions disturbing?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 6 August 2015 3:16:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author states:
"As historians, the private information of ordinary citizens is our best window to the past"; and further;
"As a well-meaning historian in the data-capturing world that is coming to a gadget near you, I look forward to perusing your metadata for the benefit of future generations. Granted, American and Australian telecoms are only meant to keep the data for a few years and never share it with the public. But with strong precedent of private sector hacks and intelligence agencies (ASIO, Australia) overstepping the line and permanently (National Security Archive, George Washington University) keeping these marvellous (FBI COINTELPRO) records (NSA PRISM), I am hopeful that this will again be the case.

So given that Samsung tv's now listen and record you in your own home, and sells it onto third parties you're hoping to be able to access and sift through this sort of data?
Obviously you aren't referring to historical people, people 'from the past', because they didn't have that technology, and you said 'YOUR' (metadata).

And if you look forward to things like that, then how much of a jump is it until you think its ok to remotely access peoples webcams?

Should you not be likened to some kind of sick pervert that stands outside peoples windows at night looking in?

The private information is being taken WITHOUT CONSENT and which you admit is never supposed to be made public, but you are openly saying that you're hoping that intelligence agencies overstep the line and keep records permanently (no doubt) and also that you hope these agencies are hacked and the info is made public so you can get your dirty little rats claws on the info?

And don't mention COINTELPRO and PRISM like they are good things.

Finally, domestic spying doesn't even catch terrorists.
They use the threat of terrorism to justify an increase in domestic surveillance powers and changes to laws, but they don't catch any because the system is ineffective and instead use the powers to help fight domestic crime, which are powers they wanted in the first place.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 6 August 2015 3:56:09 AM
And also, storycorps.com is a trojan horse if ever I saw one.
One look at the board of directors tells the story.
http://storycorps.org/about/board-of-directors/
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 6 August 2015 4:19:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy