The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religion needs to be actively opposed > Comments

Religion needs to be actively opposed : Comments

By Richard Britain, published 4/8/2015

Being more than 80% secular, the Scandinavians tick every box from a nationally high IQ to the lowest crime rates, all by comparison with nations of high religiosity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
What a ridiculous outburst the book sounds! How ridiculous to even bother reviewing it, if that what was attempted here.

Most of those applauding this rubbish are also the first to apologise for that truly foul religion, Islam.

To 'actively oppose' Christianity is a stupid, idiotic denial of what has made the West the best, and why we are as enlightened and civilized as we are. I am by no means religious; I am agnostic. But, as a child, I was taught Christian philosophy and the Christian way of life that laid the foundations for my moral development. It doesn't matter that I am not a church-goer or a goody two shoes: the Nicene creed has stayed with me, and I still live by it, even with all my imperfections.

These days, kids don 't go to Sunday school. Their parents know nothing. Without a Christian background as a child, you have nothing to gauge right from wrong. This is obvious in our society today; it is obvious in some of the crap regularly posted here.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 4 August 2015 12:29:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quoting Dawkins as an authority holds about as much authority as Mohammed. The author is obviously unaware or ignorant of atheism atrocious record. Not surprising as they have no moral base to draw from.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 4 August 2015 12:32:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All we need is runner to keep posting "he'll drive any sensible person away from the church".

ttbn is it possible for you to post without creating at least one straw man?
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 4 August 2015 1:35:26 PM
Maybe Scandinavia is not so perfect:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/27/scandinavian-miracle-brutal-truth-denmark-norway-sweden
Posted by JP, Tuesday, 4 August 2015 2:07:42 PM
I don’t know if the book is as poorly argued as the review, but if so it does not bode well. It proceeds with a series of assertions that are not substantiated or explained.

What does it mean to say the Scandinavian countries are “more than 80% secular”? How, exactly, is that measured? Denmark, Norway, Iceland and Finland all have the Lutheran church as the State church or special laws protecting the church. Until 2000, so did Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion#

Is this the model the author would have us follow?

What exactly are “the covert machinations of Christianity that present the greatest unreported threat”

Why is the census figure “artificially high”, and how does this financially benefit the churches?

How can science “discounts the religious belief in a human soul”?

It may be that the book actually provides evidence to substantiate all of these claims. But the article doesn’t
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 4 August 2015 2:36:50 PM
Well for a start Scandinavian countries are not democratic, don't have a free press nor separation of church and state and are not known for creativity or even "progressive" ideals. Until the oil boom those nations were backward, poor, theocractic dictatorships and the butt of the jokes of other Europeans, they may have a high median IQ but so do the Chinese and they're as big a bunch of cretins as the Swedes.
As fast as Christianity falls away in those countries so Islam grows, far from a rise in secularism the churches are merely being turned into Mosques unopposed by the Nordic morons and as happened in the 19th century we'll soon see a mass exodus of Scandinavians and a return to theocracy in those lands.
Even among White Nationalists the Nordics are seen as deserving of everything that's coming to them.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 4 August 2015 2:41:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy