The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s time to address our big issue > Comments

It’s time to address our big issue : Comments

By Amy Andrew, published 29/7/2015

'Make Healthy Normal' is a step in the right direction, but won't make much of a dint on the obesity problem, whose roots lie much deeper.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Excellent article Amy. Hopefully in the future, sugar-laden processed "food" will carry the same health warnings as tobacco products.
Posted by TonyI, Wednesday, 29 July 2015 4:04:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are always hearing about how much fat people cost us. We never hear how much of our OUR money is spent on telling us how much fat people cost us. Or how much this young lady costs us. Or how much other people paid to lecture us on what we should eat, and what we shouldn't eat costs us.

One the one hand, politicians moan and groan about people living longer, and they want to increase taxes to pay for that. On the other hand, they moan and groan about obesity, and they also want to put up taxes to stop them dying. That makes sense only to politicans.

Why not let people eat themselves into an early grave, and save the money to spend on the others who look after their own health without government nannyiing?
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 29 July 2015 5:44:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I quite liked this article! Well done the author! I'd like to encourage the young lady who wrote this to not be upset in the face of hostile comments.

I find the level of negative comments on here to be somewhat concerning. Rather ironic are the posts which demand better solutions without offering any in return.

There's a particular feeling of detestation one experiences when once comes into direct contact with the internet troll.. It's as though somewhere along the train of their psychosexual development they were interrupted. Perhaps they never quite managed to successfully complete the anal stage and as such their sphincters clench so tightly when they behold another's success.

It reminds them of the humiliation their parents unconsciously projected onto them during potty training.. This in turn contributes to protectively identified sense of shame which is ascribed to the target of their visceral attacks who take the shape of mommy and daddy in their psyches.

Having this need unfulfilled by sitting in front of a computer screen and attacking another they return to the fridge to get another Twinkie.. And the guilt/ shame cycle continues until they must yet again seek catharsis in trolling those braver and more successful than they are!

Alas It's the circle of life for these.. shall we say.. 'larger than life' internet trolls.. All one can really do in the face of all this is sit back, sigh and say, "hakuna matata".
Posted by Tiffy Rew, Wednesday, 29 July 2015 7:03:43 PM
"I find the level of negative comments on here somewhat concerning."

You're obviously new here Tiffany. Negative commentary is pretty much all that the regulars here can offer. That's why I usually don't bother commenting, though I still sometimes read the articles.
Posted by Johnj, Wednesday, 29 July 2015 8:30:56 PM
What on earth is a Bachelor of Health? It sounds a bit airy fairy to me, something you do if you're not up to an MD degree.

Then a Master of Public Health sounds like something designed for would be bureaucrats.

Well I'm with ttbn, I have no interest in being lectured by some young person who has just absorbed the latest fads handed out by academics. More talking heads, on the public payroll is the last thing we need.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 29 July 2015 8:57:02 PM
Tiffy Trew,

Negative comments, eh? For negativity, I suggest you read aloud to yourself your own post. What a load of girlish bile!

Negative comments would be all of those not in line with your own, clearly. Are you so naive and juvenile to think think everyone who contributes to OLO is going to be greeted with gratitude and awe, particularly on hackneyed subject such as obesity?

'The government should do this. The government should do that. The government should tell us what to eat. The government should wipe our bottys.' Grow up and discover self-help and personal resposibility. You sound like a spoilt brat.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 29 July 2015 10:20:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy