The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Neither strutting nor complaining will do. Struggle Street demands dangerous ideas from Sydney's West > Comments

Neither strutting nor complaining will do. Struggle Street demands dangerous ideas from Sydney's West : Comments

By Alex Sanchez, published 26/5/2015

I was torn between a long-standing loyalty to the region and the inconvenient truth that, for too many, the program portrayed life quite accurately.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Western Sydney is NSW problem. Most big Cities have outer suburban areas of high unemployment. it happens when cities get to big (size not population).

The State governments need to ensure that no one city gets to big.

Federal governments role is to ensure no State get's over populated.

What a surprise both have let us down.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 1:02:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A number of comments: The first being the absolute necessity of public housing; but not as the virtual poverty traps we see in western Sydney.

But rather, as new (low cost) high rise buildings along rail corridors with a mix of commercial enterprise on the Ground and first floors, then low cost housing for around 75% of the remaining floors, with the levels above that being penthouse style apartments; replete with roof top gardens, B-B-Q's and swimming pools!?

This configuration would ensure the haves and the have nots mixed daily, providing commercial/job opportunities for both?

And given the need to drive down to bedrock, the basements could be extended by as much as 5 floors, so there is more than adequate parking for commercial activities and the tenants!

With the very bottom level being given over to service facilities/biological waste treatment; that powers the entire building as well as provide free hot water for all occupants!?

And if ceramic fuel cells are preferred ahead of stationary engines, not only provide the worlds cheapest electricity, but a substantial salable surplus as well.

And in the case of the less well off, there could be opportunities to actually buy their apartments with very low cost loans; and attract those prepared to have a go; and take pride of place!?

Movement sensing lights and CCTV, would likely limit the ability of petty crims and drug dealers to carry with business as usual, half the battle for the ner-do-wells in post code poverty traps!?

Moreover, they'd need to leave the car and take a lift or walk up stairs to interact with their "customers"; and so be exposed to CCTV footage, and an in house security detail immediately alerted by things like hoodies, metal detector alerts and what have you!?

In which case rotating polycarb (bulletproof) doors could be locked down, trapping/inconveniencing the suspect(s) or escapee(s) for a few critical minutes?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 1:44:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fascinating idea Rhosty. When I first read "then low cost housing for around 75% of the remaining floors, with the levels above that being penthouse style apartments; replete with roof top gardens, B-B-Q's and swimming pools!" - I was thinking those that can afford penthouses probably would not want to live immediately among the have-nots. The behaviour of the people on the lower floors could seriously damage the property value of those above. But then it dawned on me, the drug lords and gang bosses could live up there.

Your security suggestions would be very helpful but they would also probably come under criticism from the welfare brigade as being too much like Big Brother watching.

I suppose something you overlooked is how to segregate the penthouse owner's cars from the others. Their Jags, Beamers, and Bentleys would be an easy target unless they have a separate and very secure garage with a private elevator straight to the top floors.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 3:07:38 PM
What a great idea Rhrosty. Stick all the break & enter, & mugging lot in the same buildings as their future victims. That should save the toerags a lot of traveling. Do you think we have an adventurous bunch of wealthy, who want to live dangerously?

Where do you get these ideas. High rise public housing was tried here in the 60s & was almost as big a catastrophe as it currently is in the UK.

The only way to break this descent into disaster is to cut the welfare & public housing. If the people are too busy earning a living, instead of getting sit down money, they won't have so much time to feel sorry for themselves. Hell some might even prosper.

My first house was in Fairfield when it was housing commission central, Bought for 2000 pounds in 1960. An ex farm labourers cottage, it had 4 rooms total & made housing commission homes look like castles, but it was mine. My second was in Riverwood, [Herne Bay renamed], & was actually ex housing commission.

These suburbs were pretty poor back then too, but were aspirational. People had bought or were renting what they could afford, but were all moving forward, not stewing in their own garbage going nowhere.

This is an emotional problem, aided & promoted by too much welfare, & handouts. The only cure is to dramatically reduce handouts, restrict the length of time they are available, & get the bleeding hearts & do gooders the hell out.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 7:02:27 PM
Housing commission homes used to be populated by low income workers and the elderly, not derelicts and immigrants.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 7:40:40 PM
All public housing to now be built in rural areas close to work i.e fruit growing areas
All recipients capable of work will be required to work 30 + hours per week 3 monthly inspections to
1. they are working
2. house is in good order
3. if children involved must have good attendance
OR YOU LOSE IT
Posted by Aussieboy, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 7:46:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy