The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Social media and slacktivism > Comments

Social media and slacktivism : Comments

By John Mason, published 20/5/2015

Social media has allowed us to be more informed – and more outraged – but is the indignation genuine, or are we merely feeding a selfish agenda?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Social media has made politics and all other areas of our public lives far more democratic.

Stupidity and or ignorance used to be a significant barrier of entry to a lot of areas of public debate, not any more.

the lesson of keep silent when you're out of your depth in a puddle just does not work for many people know. Not only do they have an opinion, they need to share it and think it's just as valid as someone who has studied the subject, often for many years.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Wednesday, 20 May 2015 2:10:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Social media has made politics and all other areas of our public lives far more democratic.

Stupidity and or ignorance used to be a significant barrier of entry to a lot of areas of public debate, not any more."

Are you saying what I think you are saying? If so I totally agree. We are now living in a world that thinks someone's stupid tweets about every moment of their lives deserves a comment on the 6:00 o'clock news. Same goes for their political views which all agree lean to the left and give a false impression of what the masses think. But in a few years they will be the masses.

Remember the Twitterverse almost going into melt down because Tony Abbott chugged a beer. What outrage, what a disgrace. Even the Irish PM got in on the concern via one of his aids telling him what they saw on twitter or Facebook.

Everyday we see ridiculous stunts or over thought weddings just so idiots can have their tweets go viral.

If you ask me I think social media is contributing significantly to the dumbing down of the western world, and it looks the rest of the world isn't far behind.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Wednesday, 20 May 2015 4:53:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well John, given none of us can read minds; how can anyone know what motivates the individual response.

And given that is not always easy, one has to judge all others on one's own standards!

I'm sorry but I see an agenda here John, to create a vehicle to be able to cast doubt on this or that response, as a debating tool or a method of creating doubt?

Personally, I prefer to take people and what they say at face value; even where I disagree vehemently with everything they might say or stand for!

Which is only fair and treats others with the respect one would want for oneself; and indeed, the very cornerstone of free speech/civil debate!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 21 May 2015 11:43:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy