The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I think, therefore I am not sure what I am > Comments

I think, therefore I am not sure what I am : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 18/5/2015

A wedge has been driven between thought and action that mimics Descartes division between mind and body, otherwise known as Cartesian dualism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

Dear David and Craig,

I’m glad you liked it. Closer to home in time and space, here is our dear Mirusia with Schubert’s “Ave Maria” :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZoZwdesumY

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 9 June 2015 6:35:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Last, but not least, one of the world's greatest violinist virtuosos, Niccolò Paganini (1782-1840), and the rondo (third movement) of his Violin Concerto N° 1 (composed in 1817-1818) interpreted by a contemporary virtuoso, Salvatore Accardo : 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN2f6ANePqk

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 7:42:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo Paterson,

Supposedly it was by Paganini, but it appeared on paga 10 not nini.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 8:21:26 PM
Having been out of touch for a few weeks, I was unable to contribute to the thread in a timely manner, so please forgive the lateness.

My first reaction to Mr Sellick's latest piece has been thoroughly discussed - viz. his highly questionable interpretation of cogito ergo sum. A rare instance of sloppiness - or simply thoughtlessness - on his part that undermined the intent of the entire article.

My second has also been widely canvassed. Mr Sellick has without fail treated his audience here with scant tolerance. This has always seemed to me to be a sign of some considerable weakness; an inability to engage with any thought processes that do not exhibit the same level of theological scholarship as he has achieved, exposes him to legitimate accusations of self-defined mental elitism.

None of which in any way disqualifies him, in my opinion, from presenting his views in the first instance. I personally derive a better understanding of the blinkered religionist's take on the world from each successive article. His reaction to feedback, however, while (probably) unwittingly unflattering to himself, actually adds definition to the narrow nature of the thought processes of his caste.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 11 June 2015 11:57:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy