The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On Anzac Day give peace a go > Comments

On Anzac Day give peace a go : Comments

By Greg Rolles, published 23/4/2015

In just a few days, Australians from all walks of life will get up before dawn on a Saturday morning, brave chilly weather to stand around and remember Australian war dead.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Ojnab,

"National Service, 1951–59 – Fact sheet 163

In the context of the intensification of the Cold War in Europe, Communist insurgency and success in South-East Asia, and the declaration of war in Korea, the Menzies government sponsored the National Service Act 1951. The legislation provided for the compulsory call-up of males turning 18 on or after 1 November 1950, for service training of 176 days. Trainees were required to remain on the Reserve of the Commonwealth Military Forces (CMF) for five years from initial call up. Men could nominate the service in which they wished to be trained. Those nominating the Navy or the Air Force were considered only if they volunteered for service outside Australia.[NOTE!] The first call-up notice was issued on 12 April 1951.

Between 1951 and 1959 over 500,000 men registered, 52 intakes were organised and some 227,000 men were trained."
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs163.aspx

I was a Nasho in 13tn NS Battalion at Ingleburn (1952) and I was never asked to volunteer for anything other than doing the hut's washing once a week.(I had my hand up first!!)
We had Lightburn washing machines and it was a grouse duty, finished the washing by 1000 hrs and then on picquet at the clothes line till 1600. Lunch was brought from the Mess and one could relax and read books all day.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 24 April 2015 4:39:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brief history of money in the context of war and oligarchs. Banking arose from the craft of goldsmiths. People became tired of carrying their gold and silver around so goldsmiths offered storage and gave people paper certificates instead. Soon people were trading paper certificates instead of silver and gold.

The goldsmiths soon realised that no one ever collected their gold and soon began issuing more gold certificates than gold in their vaults.This was the beginning of fiat money and the rise of bankers as being the most powerful people on the planet.

The Rothschilds were already extremely wealthy but the Napoleonic Wars really made the Rothschilds. Nathan Rothschild spread a rumour that Napoleon had won against the British.Nathan Rothschild so the story goes,had the latest communication in carrier pigeon thus knew the out come first and spread rumours that the British had lost and began selling stocks. The market collapsed and the Rothschilds bought good stocks for pennies on the pound.

Ever since this time bankers have made huge profits backing both sides of war and often engineering the inception of these wars in the background.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 24 April 2015 5:38:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a wonderful sight to see Prime Minister Abbott walking around Gallipoli looking as though he has just pooed his pants, crying crocodile tears for all those brave young men who died 100 years ago, he having sent another 300 soldiers with quite a few of them to their possible deaths in Iraq., it is time all politicians joined the front ranks , they are great at sending every one else to their possible early deaths, instead of being armchair generals join the lads instead, and face death with them, we all can lay wreaths and look sad.
I and many others are sick to death of all the hype being portrayed by the media and TV stations, let's hope 2016 Anzac Day will return to the respect of all those brave young people who lost their lives in a war that was the making by the elite in various countries.
When will we wake up.
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 24 April 2015 6:45:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well my Great Grandfather was a Lighthorseman and fought at Gallipoli. He was promoted to CO on the battlefield, after his CO was shot and he lived to tell the tale.

Now not take away from his valor and accomplishments fighting for this country, I still have a hard time seeing any so-called soldier as anything else other than a paid mercenary.

Unless your country is directly attacked and you are fighting in defense, you are just a paid mercenary fighting the battles of the rich.
You are just a paid shill fighting someone else's battle.
Someone else who sits far from the battlefield, sipping port and smoking a cigar and who's own children are not in the line of fire.

I reckon the real ANZACS would roll over in their graves if they could see whats happened to this country. They'd wonder what they fought for, and all the bigwig politicians sit up there trying to gain politically from it every year, when none of their kids will ever have to fight in a war they cause.

The fact that Tony Abbot is an English citizen means Australian Armed Forces are still being lead to their deaths by the British, just like 100yrs ago.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 28 April 2015 11:18:47 PM
Armchair Critic,

"Unless your country is directly attacked and you are fighting in defense, you are just a paid mercenary fighting the battles of the rich.
You are just a paid shill fighting someone else's battle.
Someone else who sits far from the battlefield, sipping port and smoking a cigar and who's own children are not in the line of fire."

I was a "paid mercenary" ('paid' is unnecessary, as by definition a mercenary fights for pay) in Korea and keep asking all the critics what was wrong with other countries coming to the defence of South Korea.

No one so far has been able to tell me who profited from the vast Korean oil fields or reaped great financial gain from control of their padi fields.
Perhaps their gold, silver and tin were the attraction?
Or their diamond mines?
Maybe the USA wanted to get in on the tourism value of their mild winters.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 29 April 2015 8:59:37 AM
Armchair Critic, my thoughts exactly, people like Abbott, Gillard and others should join the front line, they would run if they had to, wreaths and all, what a sight it would be
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 1 May 2015 6:16:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy