The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Old King Coal > Comments

Old King Coal : Comments

By Barry Spinks, published 22/4/2015

Coal fired power generation just won't go away even in developed nations, now the Asian nations are gaining access to infrastructure investment to power their own Industrial Revolution.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I have just read an article in On Line Opinion about the Armenian genocide, where 1.5 million Armenian Christians died in the years after 1915 when they were forcibly expelled from Turkey. Few were killed by bullets, most starving to death or dying of thirst. Now I have read this article about how the World Bank is deliberately withholding funds from developing countries for the building of coal-fired power stations, yet the bank offers no viable alternative ways for these countries to provide low cost, reliable electricity to their citizens. I wonder if, in years to come, the bank will be accused of genocide in their dealings with developing countries who were not able to raise the standard of living of the billions living in poverty because the World Bank denied them access to cheap, reliable electricity.
Posted by Bernie Masters, Monday, 27 April 2015 10:15:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that this is precisely how it should be! I think if my hometown in Brisbane suddenly wanted to embark on some fossil-fuel driven activity that a LOT of people would stand up against it! We should all be doing our part to do something about alternate fuels and the like and keep intentions to further develop fossil-fuel activity back into storage where it belongs!
Posted by PaulChau, Tuesday, 28 April 2015 1:53:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul, a serious question (and I'm not trying to have a go at you) but is your life at present carbon neutral? I'm concerned that the people in Brisbane you say will rise up against a fossil-fuel power station proposal are likely to be content, comfortable and wealthy (compared to the world's 2 billion living in poverty) and hence can afford to say "I'm alright Jack and bad luck to anyone else wanting to raise their standard of living to my level".
Posted by Bernie Masters, Tuesday, 28 April 2015 2:29:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Renewable energy with storage (excluding hydro) costs as much or more in fossil-fuelled energy invested than it produces, all things considered, so CO2 production is unmitigated. Why be so green and cosey in Brisbane about a silly choice, Paul?

The undeveloped world needs cheap energy, and that's fossil-based until they can industrialize and carry on to conversion to nuclear.
Posted by Luciferase, Thursday, 30 April 2015 1:55:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy