The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sport as the opiate of the people > Comments

Sport as the opiate of the people : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 1/4/2015

Just as Marx thought, with some justification, that religion kept people in their place, sport has the same narcotic influence on populations. It promotes a shallow tribalism and distracts us from the real concerns of life.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

Happy Resurrection Day to all !

Time to have a little talk with Jesus :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxLA1NX9gxY&list=RDWxLA1NX9gxY#t=3

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 5 April 2015 2:13:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You can't talk to Jesus, Banjo. He's been dead for 2000 years.
Posted by LEGO, Sunday, 5 April 2015 3:38:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

I can talk to him, Lego, but he can't hear me 'cause he just ain't there !

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 5 April 2015 8:45:14 AM
This cosy little fest between you does not give you credit.
Posted by Sells, Sunday, 5 April 2015 11:17:11 AM

Dear Peter/Sells,

You wrote :

« This cosy little fest between you does not give you credit. »

That’s an interesting comment, Sells. It takes my mind back three months to the dramatic attack on the French satirical magazine, “Charlie Hebdo, during which Saïd and Chérif Kouachi slaughtered some of France’s most renowned satirical cartoonists and journalists for mocking the prophet Mohammad.

The Al Qaida militants in Yemen who claimed responsibility for the killings were convinced it was the will of Allah to revenge the prophet.

The God of those Al Qaida militants is not only the God of the Muslims, it is also the God of the Jews and the Christians. It is the same monotheistic Abrahamic God.

Who, then, is this egocentric God who expects everyone to bow and scrape, to praise and worship him, who has no sense of humour and can’t bear anyone gently making fun of him? If he is so superior and so powerful why is he so sensitive and so vulnerable?

What’s so wrong with “taking the Mickey” out of someone, a member of the family, a friend, a person of authority, the Prime Minister, the Queen, God, anybody?

Satirical cartoonists are the modern court jesters. They entertained the pharaohs in Ancient Egypt. They were popular with the Aztecs. In Europe as everywhere else on earth, they could give bad news to the king that no one else would dare deliver.

Court jesters, including those of the omniscient, the omnipotent and the omnipresent, Peter, are neither to be slaughtered nor even admonished. They are to be encouraged, appreciated and heeded.

It is the courtesans, the adulators, the flatterers, the worshipers, the grovelers, the yes-men, the backscratchers, the hypocrites you shouldn’t trust.

You also wrote :

« My innate snobbishness, earned from being a sporting reject myself and many hours reading in the playground, I am biased. »

No comment.

Allow me simply to add that those who practise sport are called sportsmen/women and those who talk about it are called sports fans. They are either one or the other.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Monday, 6 April 2015 8:24:42 AM
I always thought that BAs were the opiate of the poseur class. Get a worthless bit of credential, assume a superior attitude and do as one is told by Lefty high-priests.
Posted by McCackie, Monday, 6 April 2015 10:39:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy