The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hold skilled migration until SA economy improves > Comments

Hold skilled migration until SA economy improves : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 26/2/2015

We need a five-year moratorium on state-nominated migration as we're creating a burgeoning underclass of migrants - a 'precariat' of marginalised unemployed and under employed contract workers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Malcolm, i don't know why your so down on South Australia's prospects . After all the state government has got a plan, they going build a tunnel for the buses, so those that actual do work in the CBD can get there 3.5 minutes faster.

I don't think you have factored this hover dam style project into your thinking. What a shot in the arm that it will be to South Australian economy.

Forget car's forget subs we're getting a tunnel for the bus!
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 26 February 2015 8:46:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A tunnel as in the Great Escape? Some problems here as you wittingly observe Cobber. Did you see the Valley of Death story today in the Tiser? A little bird told me they're letting people go at the ASC already.
Posted by Malcolm 'Paddy' King, Thursday, 26 February 2015 9:24:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry Malcolm.

Your solution would just add to the contraction, given the current exodus.

There are just two solutions to promote growth; the only real solution.

Much cheaper energy, to get manufacturing re-interested, and real tax reform; and for the same reason! Cheaper than coal Thorium coupled to micro grids, would more than halve the cost of industrial energy!

However, real tax reform depends on a federal government wedded to the idea of real reform; that for one, eliminates all the parasites and parasitical practice; and the current convoluted complexity; plus the average 7% current tax compliance costs.

This could be done by jettisoning the current convoluted complexity, which by the way, has huge parts that mostly cost more to administer than they raise, and replace that dog's breakfast of a tax system, with a single unavoidable expenditure tax!

Set at 18%, and given the current compliance costs would then no longer need to be collected or expended, just 11% in real terms!
18% of a 1.6 economy is around 380 billions net!

And more than enough to run the country if all duplication and patently unnecessary administration are removed.

And replaced by far more regional autonomy, and a direct funding model that would more than offset the forgone GST!

And collect even more than the above figure, (as much as 100 billion per) when all the current avoiders are unavoidably reacquainted with our tax collection system; minus all the usual rorts and rip offs/homemade tax havens!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 26 February 2015 12:27:27 PM
The fate of the Holden workers might be predicted based on Mitsubishi in SA and Ford in Victoria... a third will never work again, a third will get reasonable jobs and a third will be casual such as nursing home staff. Those numbers were in the past the future may be even tougher. The thing about ASC and Holden is the workers hold the skills base for advanced manufacturing of transportable equipment. Too bad if we ever need those skills again.

I've said this before; clean up Pt Stanvac and build one of the safe new designs of nuclear reactors. That won't employ everybody but it will create spinoff industries and stabilise power prices.
Posted by Taswegian, Thursday, 26 February 2015 4:23:01 PM
Great to see Malcolm supporting a stable population, especially after his open door, greenwashing rants of the past.
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=15382
Needs must I guess, and the real world must have caught up, even in Adelaide's leafy streets.
Congratulations Malcolm, calling for a 5 year moratorium to improve the situation there is the rational approach.
Posted by Peter Strachan, Sunday, 8 March 2015 3:50:24 PM
Bit rich for someone who's LinkedIn site reads:

'Peter Strachan - Independent, corporate analyst & author of StockAnalsysis.'

Anal alright.

Here's where the Unsustainable Pop Party hide their eggs:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/fortress-australia-green-washing-the-future-20131021-2vwzy.html
Posted by Malcolm 'Paddy' King, Sunday, 8 March 2015 5:43:09 PM
@Malcolm, do you have any real policy to support this reply or are you happy chucking mud? You appear to be playing the man and not the ball. What may I ask is wrong (in your eyes) with being a corporate analyst? How would that affect any support I might now give your recent conversion to the stable population cause?
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=37206680&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile
You must have missread the Linkedin profile I think?
Posted by Peter Strachan, Sunday, 8 March 2015 5:55:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy