The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Obama to Congress: rubber-stamp my perpetual war > Comments

Obama to Congress: rubber-stamp my perpetual war : Comments

By Marjorie Cohn, published 19/2/2015

Even if Congress does not oblige him, Obama will continue to bomb Iraq and Syria, falsely claiming that the 2001 AUMF gives him that authority.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Maybe, but in response to what? Peace loving Arabs just going about normal activities? I think the response is far too moderate!

Personally I would nuke them out of existence! Let them have their ground, once we have turned it into a sea of radioactive molten glass!
Rhrosty
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 19 February 2015 10:21:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whenever left to themselves the Sunnis, Shiites and other locals in the Middle East tear themselves apart.

Has anyone heard of:

- the Iran-Iraq War (1980-88)?

- Syrian Civil War (2011 - present)

- IS civila war (2012 - present)

It would appear that the author totally rejects US efforts which are relatively benign.

With Ms Cohn being American, likely Jewish and a women, she would not be treated under International Law by Islamic State (ISIS, ISIL whatever).
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 19 February 2015 3:26:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It doesn't much matter whether there is an AUMF or not if one looks at US foreign policy over many decades. Islamic extremism is a classic example. The US has fostered radical Muslim groups as a deliberate article of foreign policy. They have been used in Afghanistan, Chechnya, the "stans" of the then USSR, the Uighur sections of western China to name just a few. Those groups inevitable morph from their original format and create wider problems. This then becomes a justification for further US military intervention and so the cycle continues ad infinitum. The destruction of civil society in Libya, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and elsewhere is irrelevant. The military - intelligence - industrial - financial deep state is continually enriched and US hegemony is asserted over crucial areas of the world. It is not a coincidence that the most troublesome regions are those which just happen to be rich in resources. Key US allies in this policy are Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Israel, yet they are generally exempt from critical analysis by the Australian commentariat.

ISIS, which our dear leader is pleased to call a "death cult" has been trained, armed and financed by that quartet. Trained in US camps in Jordan, financed by wahabhi money from Saudi Arabia, armed by the Americans and their wounded treated in Israeli hospitals. All of this is well documented and can be read from sources as diverse as the NY Times Press TV. Australians continue to live in a bubble however, where the corporate media dare not raise even the faintest questions about the endless warmongering propaganda they are happy to reproduce.
Posted by James O'Neill, Thursday, 19 February 2015 4:53:59 PM
A balanced and sensible article unfortunately it is too late in the game to stop the maniacal USA from its head long deliberate descent into barbarism
The western world is now beyond redemption absent a serious and deadly global disaster.

Notice the baying for blood by the previous two posters. One would like to even drop and atomic bomb in the Middle East and he is reasonably moderate compared to others.

I like the article but it fails to recognize that even the approval thru congress is a sham.
The yanks are beyond redemption. To forestall their inevitable eclipse by China they are hell bent to loot resources and exercise their power over the entire globe. They have military bases now in135 come countries and counting

We can be grateful they consider us friends because their intentions could not be clearer. Bomb bomb bomb
Posted by YEBIGA, Thursday, 19 February 2015 4:55:38 PM
So James

What have YOU written to support your more outlandish claims.

Or are you just mouthing Putin's Foreign Policy dot-points again?
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 19 February 2015 5:07:14 PM
Pete, James O'Neill does not make outrageous claims. The War mongering of the USA ,Britain and Israel has been common knowledge in the alternate media for some time.

A nuclear confrontation with Russia and China because they don't like the bankster's New World Order, will not end well for any of us.

Pete you are suffering severe cognitive dissonance and need to read beyond the MSM BS. http://www.globalresearch.ca/
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 19 February 2015 6:56:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pete, there was a time when you had something intelligent to say. Alas. What I have or have not written is irrelevant. The issues I raised are all well established and if you bother to do the research you could find the data yourself. Just for the record, I am not Putin's mouthpiece, or anyone else for that matter.

Please respond if you have something to add to the discussion instead of smart alec put downs. Otherwise, well, there are lots of options.
Posted by James O'Neill, Thursday, 19 February 2015 6:58:20 PM
Hi James O'Neill

I would be most grateful for a direct hyperlink to any article that you have written.

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 19 February 2015 9:55:18 PM
Pete, as I said earlier, what I have written is irrelevant. I was first published in a peer reviewed journal in the early 1970s. Since then there have been umpteen peer reviewed articles, two books, conference papers and contributions to online outlets. My last published article was in Counterpunch on 19 December 2014. It was widely republished around the world.

I respectfully suggest you focus on what Ms Cohn had to say. Trevor Timms has a recent article in the Guardian (UK) that is an important contribution to the debate. The editor of Spiked, Brendan O'Neill (no relative) also published an important editorial on 12 May 2014. Peter Dale Scott's last three books are important resources, and he takes the trouble to throughly document his argument with copious references to original sources.

There are a number of European websites, including Russian Insider, that publish a diverse range of articles, including many that run counter to their own editorial views, which is more than can be said for the vast range of Australian publications, including the present one.

As a publisher of a website you know better than most the value of evidence based arguments. For better or worse that is what I strive for to inform my comments. If someone has better evidence I am always glad to hear it.
Posted by James O'Neill, Friday, 20 February 2015 12:02:48 PM
Yep. Just another of Putin's useful idiots, ain'tya, Arjay.

>>The War mongering of the USA ,Britain and Israel has been common knowledge in the alternate media for some time<<

Amazing how the world turns, ain't it?

Once it was the European left-leaning "intelligentsia" who provided succour to the cold-war communist regimes. Now it is random non-thinkers from the ranks of the blind followers of "alternative" media who provide legitimacy to Putin's kleptocratic dictatorship.

"At home Russian media, which are mostly state-controlled, churn out lies and conspiracy theories. Abroad, the main conduit for the Kremlin’s world view is RT, a TV channel set up in 2005 to promote a positive view of Russia that now focuses on making the West look bad. It uses Western voices: far-left anti-globalists, far-right nationalists and disillusioned individuals. It broadcasts in English, Arabic and Spanish and is planning German- and French-language channels. It claims to reach 700m people worldwide and 2.7m hotel rooms. Though it is not a complete farce, it has broadcast a string of false stories, such as one speculating that America was behind the Ebola epidemic in west Africa.

The Kremlin is also a sophisticated user of the internet and social media. It employs hundreds of 'trolls' to garrison the comment sections and Twitter feeds of the West. The point is not so much to promote the Kremlin’s views, but to denigrate opposition figures, and foreign governments and institutions, and to sow fear and confusion"

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21643220-russias-aggression-ukraine-part-broader-and-more-dangerous-confrontation?

That all sounds mighty familiar, don't it.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 20 February 2015 2:15:27 PM
Well put Pericles

To the Putin lovers of RT Useful Idiocy I give:

http://herbeat.com/55-photos-of-vladimir-putin-being-absolutely-ridiculous/

eg. http://herbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/vladimir_putin_5.jpg and

http://herbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/vladimir_putin_18.jpg

Get the trend?

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 20 February 2015 3:34:37 PM
Pericles, Vladmir Putin as an 85% approval rating while Tony Abbott has 24% approval rating. Putin is a nationalist who fights for Russia unlike our New World fascists who want the communist Agenda 21 and Lima Agreement for us.

The fact is that the criminal Zionist Rothschild Central Bankers control most of the World's Money and they create it as debt. The really big enslavement for us is they create inflation as debt and this destroys growth, wages, savings and spending capacity. We are seeing it now as inflation is on the rise.

These same banksters now have so much power that they control our Govts and most of our big corporations including the Murdoch Press.

Putin ,China with the BRICS nations are standing up to this debt oppression and you and your Zionist mates don't like it. Bad luck Pericles because the fascist Zionists are on the nose and people are becoming aware.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 20 February 2015 3:59:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a must see,posted recently by Dr Paul Craig Roberts. It is classic George Carlin the comedian and satirist on how the system owns us.http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article41001.htm

"The American Dream.You have to be asleep to believe it."
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 20 February 2015 5:32:29 PM
Giday Arjay

As you are a Bankster-Philiac "Lover of London and Sundry Swiss Banks" I dedicate "Merchant Banker - Monty Python's The Flying Circus" http://youtu.be/YUhb0XII93I to you.

And then The Money Song http://youtu.be/sor9GzivGbk .

Enjoy these Friday Specials.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 20 February 2015 6:14:50 PM
Yes Pete read the truth again." Pericles, Vladmir Putin as an 85% approval rating while Tony Abbott has 24% approval rating. Putin is a nationalist who fights for Russia unlike our New World fascists who want the communist Agenda 21 and Lima Agreement for us.

The fact is that the criminal Zionist Rothschild Central Bankers control most of the World's Money and they create it as debt. The really big enslavement for us is they create inflation as debt and this destroys growth, wages, savings and spending capacity. We are seeing it now as inflation is on the rise.

These same banksters now have so much power that they control our Govts and most of our big corporations including the Murdoch Press.

Putin ,China with the BRICS nations are standing up to this debt oppression and you and your Zionist mates don't like it. Bad luck Pericles because the fascist Zionists are on the nose and people are becoming aware.

Posted by Arjay, Friday, 20 February 2015 3:59:16 PM
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 20 February 2015 7:31:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy