The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64? 74? 84? > Comments

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64? 74? 84? : Comments

By Brian Murphy, published 18/2/2015

I am going to Canberra next Tuesday 24th and Wed 25th February to stand in front of Parliament House and ask those very questions on the behalf of my generation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
wont stop teachers, nurses and other public servants demanding pay rises.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 18 February 2015 7:51:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhrosty

Everyone makes bad decisions from time to time, but 90% of "destiny" is what you make it. The remaining 10% should be for the safety net provided by the governments when disaster strikes, not as an undeserved entitlement.
Should I not be proud that I am not a burden on society ? Perhaps you seem to have an ethical standard that I don't relate to, although I totally agree that 15% put aside compulsorily for retirement would be a good thing.
By the way, pitching roofs in Western Sydney in 40 degree heat, bent double on an uneven surface, like sheep shearing, can be quite debilitating at times.
Posted by snake, Wednesday, 18 February 2015 9:33:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not even sure what the author is asking for ? made up jobs by Government ?

Bit like snake, I retired at 42 (now 49), I have lived a frugal life, saved and invested. I don't get any welfare and live in a small cottage in rural australia, off the grid. I have an ebook collection of some 10,000 books that I am going to make it my goal to read.

My advice to the author ? My guess is he owns a house in a city in Aus ?

Option A. Sell up, move to a cheaper place in rural Australia and enjoy life. Hell, I am currently considering retiring to Thailand when I hit 50 and am eligible for a Thai retirement visa.

Option B. With your qualifications, move over to Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia, teach English and enjoy life.

and for gods sake don't start a business, if you suffer from stress, that will tip you over the edge.

Standing in front of Parliament yelling at Government to solve an issue they can't, seems the very essence of a wasting your life.
Posted by Valley Guy, Friday, 20 February 2015 3:11:27 PM
Stereotyping all baby boomers as one and the same is unhelpful at best. Not all have been lucky; and not all who have been unlucky have brought it on themselves. Try being a full time carer for a while. Many have lost their jobs/livelihoods - and many more will lose their jobs long before they intended to retire.

Many are - and many more will be - forced by centrelink to 'transition to retirement' by doing voluntary work for self-serving 'not-for-profit' groups i.e. they are removed from the unemployment records, and effectively forced to work as slave labour.

Many can only dream of ever getting paid work that will enable them to save for a self funded retirement - while many have been forced into accepting that a life of poverty is all they can look forward to. Travelling around Oz in a caravan? Dream on. For some, the only travel is via the global village on SBS. And with selfish attitudes abounding, their plight isn't likely change any time soon. It is no accident that generationally younger polls are being deliberately divisive by accusing boomers en masse of generational theft. Bring on euthanasia.
Posted by SHORT&SHARP, Monday, 23 February 2015 11:30:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy