The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Immigration detention - reading the tea leaves > Comments

Immigration detention - reading the tea leaves : Comments

By Howard Glenn, published 5/9/2005

Howard Glenn takes stock and examines the asylum seeker campaigns and the achievements made in the last few years.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Sneekeepete,instead of labelling all those who disagree with you as convienently racist,produce a factual and logical argument to support your assertions.

You see I believe that all races have good and bad genes and educated,productive individuals that can contribute to our society.We have in the past not been very selective about the quality of immigrant in terms of education and attitude.We have in Sydney ethnic crime gangs that are tearing our social fabric assunder.Both our Govts and the left are in denial.

Would you care to enter in constructive debate rather than making generalisations of us all being racists.It is a lot more complex than your simplistic musings.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 16 September 2005 7:21:50 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sneekeepete, When Arjay tells you racists don't exist anywhere you better believe it. He's an expert on where racism does or does not exist. Just ask him!

Since I've been reading his posts I've completely reviewed my beliefs about the Holocaust, South Africa, slave trading - you name it. I'm surprised the media haven’t approached him to write for them - & I wish he'd publish so all the world would be exposed to his deep intellectual insights into our human condition. Wouldn't that be fabulous!!?
He has no need to understand the scholarship that has generated thousands of books and articles written about and condemning racism.

"What use is that"? asks Arjay. (jeez, isn't that just so deep?)

Words and phrases like ethnocentrism, xenophobia, are all just part of a conspiracy theory to take over this country from good white folk and especially those suburbs around where Arjay lives. We are truly honored to be on the same internet forum with him. Amen, hallelujah!
Posted by Rainier, Friday, 16 September 2005 7:56:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not one of my statements have you successfully rebuted Rainer. Your only defence is all Anglos are racist and xenophobic.The left and you just don't like hearing a few home truths and the best you can do is scream "racist"? Not good enough Rainer.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 16 September 2005 10:13:50 PM
I agree that there are dangers in large numbers of refugees overwhelming the country but these refugees are not just overwhelming Australia (if you call it that), they are overwhelming the rest of the world. What else are we gonna do with them?

I also agree that the detention experience has been horrific and disturbing, and the last thing we need to do is create even more mentally disturbed people on our planet than there already are!

Give the refugees a bit of support. They have shown immense iniative, self-enterprise and drive to get to this far flung shore and isn't that what the Liberal goverment value system is all about?
Posted by minuet, Friday, 16 September 2005 10:48:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don not confuse refugees with terrorism!
Do not confuse refugees with recism!

Terrorism is best defeated by defeating the cause of terrorism!

Meaning, that those who support the death penalty, and so a disregard of the sanctity of life, can encounter others to act likewise.

That those who ignore the RULE OF LAW may encounter others to do likewise.

Time and again, I found that people contemplating suicide/murder, mass destruction, etc, were not concerned about the loss of life of others, rather saw it as an aid to get the message across as without loss of life of anyone likely it would be seen as a non event.
Therefore, when we look upon terrorism and implement unconstitutional legislation allegedly combating terrorism we as a society are in fact then giving credence to others to become terrorist.
We call them terrorist, but they themselves may call it being a freedom fighter.

When a person give me the understanding that the aim is to maximize the killing of innocent people as to ensure that then there will be an outrage by the community and perhaps then finally something will be done, is this then not underlining that people going through such extreme deplorable conduct could simply avoid doing so by governments being more alert to the need of the people rather then just trying to play politics at the expense of the people?

When a person needs to kill people as a way to try to attract the attention of the general public upon a certain issue, does this then not prove what a sick society we are, where ordinary communication no longer seem to have an impact. Then again, consider all my correspondence over the last 5 years or so, and consider the response on them then it is appalling, and I for one, albeit opposing any form of violence can UNDERSTAND others to seek the ultimate weapon to destroy the life’s of others, even if they are innocent.

One of the most simplest weapons to counter terrorism/violence is simply to learn to listen and consider
Posted by Mr Gerrit H Schorel-Hlavka, Saturday, 17 September 2005 4:15:26 PM
Arjay: I have made reference to rascist comments that appear in these posts; if any one or group choose to identitfy themselves with those references thats fine by me. I certainly have not called any one rascist.

And once I have met the requiremetns of the editor I am free like any one elase to make assertions and opine opinions. This is not political science or philosphy 101; I am not required to submit a bibliography or footnote my posts. Some times I support my claims and sometimes I do not.
Much of what I have related is out there in the public domain - common knowledge - I'm not going to waste time dredging up all the evidence all the time.

The harm bit re the detainees requires little support. There is enough popular press stuff almost daily to underline that. And the head of the medical team from SA investigating the mental health of detainees has gone on the record and said many of them are beyond help now. I would suggest to over see or manage such a scheme could be described as evil
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 20 September 2005 9:27:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy