The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Standing up to the anti-smoking bullies > Comments

Standing up to the anti-smoking bullies : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 30/12/2014

But there are some people who remain fair game – smokers. Which is why, anywhere you see a smoker, you will find a bully lurking not far away.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Thanks for a timely and soundly based article, David.

I am a non-smoker, but am appalled at the tactics of the anti- smoking bullies, particularly their ignorance and dishonesty. Yes, Suse, contrary to your baseless assertion, they are the uninformed and misinformed, whether or not they are intelligent.

My father was a heavy smoker from a young age, and never had a heart problem. His brother was a non-smoker, and died of a heart attack. One of my brothers was a non-smoker, and died of a heart attack. I had open heart surgery. Another brother smokes heavily, and has had no heart problem. Yet I constantly see TV ads warning that smoking causes heart attack. In my own experience this is untrue.
Posted by Leo Lane, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 1:22:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm all for smokers' rights and I think that they should be allowed to inhale all the tobacco smoke that they want to, however they have no right to exhale their noxious fumes anywhere near a person who does not wish to inhale poisons.

So I'd support a complete ban on the exhaling of tobacco smoke in any public place.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 2:49:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like your way of thinking Is Mise :)

Leo Lane, there are strong genetic components and other lifestyle issues involved with heart attacks other than smoking.

Having worked as a hospital and community nurse for many years, I can assure you that there are many many smokers out there living a much worse life in their latter years than the non-smokers, so you are right not to smoke.

To my mind, I would prefer to enjoy my retirement with the more likely option of being able to go out and travel as I want, rather than sitting at home or in a nursing home sucking on an oxygen tube....

Smoking may not always kill you early at all, but you can linger on for years not being able to breath properly from emphysema, chronic obstructive airways disease or lung cancer.
All truly awful ways to linger on.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 3:01:24 PM
The anti smoking lobby (health etc ) claim their bullying is for our own health... So they hike the taxes, ostracise and use senseless overblown toxic language. So, if these latest round of price increase is for our own good, how come ' aping' is illegal, no sensitivities of the nearby public affected there, the pointless 'quit' hotline, is there any evidence that it has contributed to a decrease in smoking? Why is the increased price in tobacco not channeled into reducing the price of smoking sensation products, nicotine patches etc. at this rate, if the health lobby is so concerned for us, why are patches, gum etc not priced at $1:00 per pack?
Please link to the study that proves 'passive' smoking is any more harmful than diesel fumes.... Please point to a link that rejects David's assertion of the costs associated with smoking to the health budget is incorrect.
David, for this and a host of other of your policies has gained my decided first preference vote at the next election.
Posted by Prompete, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 3:59:21 PM
"The senator who defended the rights of smokers and said they were being disproportionately slugged through tobacco taxes has confirmed his party accepted donations from tobacco giant Phillip Morris.

Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm confirmed the donation to Fairfax Media and said while he could not recall the exact amount given to his party by the tobacco company, it was in the “tens of thousands”. “We are very pleased to receive the donations and we hope to receive them from the other tobacco companies,” he said.

I (myself) oppose all forms of "smoking". I have done this since about eight years of age. Wearing a "heart" (like I was from the Heart Foundation) I threw my parents packet of cigarettes on the roof - and they stupidly went onto the roof to get them.

It wasn't until about over 5 years ago, both of my parents where in their car on a freeway, my dad felt uncomfortable and then went to a local GP. He collapsed and had to be taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Imagine if he had crashed and killed himself or other people. Freedom of choice? Or an addiction?

He thanked me afterwoods when I went to see him in hospital - and said he should have listened to me earlier.

I believe we should phase out smoking, by a certain year (if you turn 18 by then) and other people can continue to buy the products who are still smoking - but at the same time encourage people to visit their local GP to help them quit smoking - a toxic product.

To those who say "a phase out" will simply push the product underground, well let's get the shovels and spades out now and save lives.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 4:10:52 PM
Hey David maybe the Smokers can defend themselves with their concealed weapons, if the nasty bullies pick on them to much.
Posted by cornonacob, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 4:58:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy