The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > School ownership > Comments

School ownership : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 4/11/2014

Governments should ensure that a great education is available to every poor kid in Australia. But there is no need for governments to own a single school or employ a single teacher to achieve this.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
How does this fit with the "mandatory" nature of schooling? Every child "must" go to school/be educated.
How could the government apply this compulsion without providing the means to fulfill it? Government should provide the basic education that they compel us to receive.

This is just right wing hatred of "lefty" teachers masquerading as pseudo intellectual libertarian dogma. Keep these right wing culture warriors with their revisionist history and christian crusader culture the hell away from our children.

I dont want schools to "compete", since as anyone with eyes can see ALL private business only "compete" to make a profit. Students would come a poor second.
Posted by mikk, Wednesday, 5 November 2014 8:22:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jardine K Jardine
Which particular articles from neweconomicperspectives.org are you suggesting would enlighten me?

Over the last two years or so I have read nearly article on the site by Prof. L W Wray, Dr Stephanie Kelton and my favourite J D Alt plus many by other authors who contribute blogs. I have my own copy of Wray's MMT primer as well as Keynes' General Theory and the books that make up Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations. I have read them all.

The primer makes the point that it is not political and that MMT is based on empirical evidence. However any reading of it shows that the theory supports an egalitarian outlook rather than Thatcherism or Reagan's childish trickle down ideas.

You should read about the fiscal space available to any sovereign (currency issuing) government. On a fiscal space diagram plot the Budget and Current Account outcomes for each year and, if you understand the plots, you would realise that the Howard Government was the worst economic managers in the last half century.
Posted by Foyle, Thursday, 6 November 2014 10:01:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foyle
"The primer makes the point that it is not political and that MMT is based on empirical evidence."

You obviously don't understand what enables anyone to make any conclusion about empirical evidence. Only if you have controlled all the variables can you make any such conclusion; otherwise how do you know whether the result is not controlled by the variables you haven't taken into account? It's nonsense.

"Which particular articles from neweconomicperspectives.org are you suggesting would enlighten me?"

Which ones would you?
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Saturday, 8 November 2014 9:47:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy