The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > True altruism: can humans change to save other species? > Comments

True altruism: can humans change to save other species? : Comments

By Verlyn Klinkenborg, published 13/10/2014

A grim new census of the world’s dwindling wildlife populations should force us to confront a troubling question: are humans capable of acting in ways that help other species at a cost to themselves?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
As a race we can't even stop people killing people unless there is an ulterior motive like oil, or resources involved.

Regrettable animals as such do not have a valuable quantifiable value so no humans will not protect them over there own greed.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 13 October 2014 12:43:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Humans are not observably different from all other life forms in anything except clever toolmaking. So of course we will not stop until either nature or the planet stops us in some way, just like all the other extinct species. It's no big deal...except for those being extinguished. But we're perfectly happy to coalesce with the USA and the UK and the rest of the wealthy mob and extinguish the lives of millions of humans that get in our way, so it seems a bit churlish to weep and wail that we're going to have our lights put out too.
Posted by ybgirp, Monday, 13 October 2014 2:48:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Verlyn didn't get far before the garbage started. Has anyone actually proved sufficient self awareness in bees for one stinging an enemy to know it is about to rip own it's guts out.

Next it is a survey by WWF for gods sake. Everyone on earth knows they are about the most dishonest thing the species has ever done. Taking one of their bits of bumph seriously is on a par with believing in all the Greek gods.

Now Verlyn I knowingly feed & water 2 horses a cow, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 4 magpies, [7 actually with the last hatchings], 5 butcher birds, half a dozen rosellas, 4 topknot pigeons, & quite a few other seed & nectar eating birds. I usually have about 30 kangaroos here each day.

I supply 2 native bee hives with pollen with my all year flowering plants, as well as many butterflies & moths with nectar & leaves to chew. I also supply a home for fish turtles & eels in a couple of dams, & goldfish in my pond. I also supply breeding sights for all these, plus wrens & sunbirds.

I feed some millions of ants, mice, rats & flies, although I am fighting back against the rats & fruit flies.

I cause the breeding of hundreds of livestock & poultry a year to supply my table.

I will guarantee it is only my existence on this 20 acres that allows so much wildlife to prosper here, & this is only what I see daily. There are many more prospering here, that I rarely see. When I wander in the native bush across the river, there is much less wildlife, as it provides much less year round food.

I know it might be hard residents of a New York high rise to have any real idea of the world, & what happens in it. I suggest you come out & join us real people some time. You just may learn which way is up.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 13 October 2014 3:28:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"According to a new study from the World Wildlife Fund, the population of aquatic and terrestrial animals on this planet has dropped by half since 1970."

And since this is clearly nonsense on stilts, the rest of the article can be safely disregarded.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 13 October 2014 3:36:10 PM
'We've always insisted on our specialness. '

And the idiotic belief in evolution reduces us to behaving like animals. Wake up, most have to the gw scam which attempted to use the same methods 'scientist' do to brainwash people with the idiotic evolution theory/religion.
Posted by runner, Monday, 13 October 2014 4:50:07 PM
Given that we live in a world that is polluted, poisoned, suffering from climate change, radiated by nuclear waste and depleted uranium, struggling to survive the killing of the trees, suffering from obesity or starvation, encountering over-fishing and the effects of herbicides and toxic chemicals and living in constant fear because of nuclear weapons, etc, etc, the question posed in the title seems rather ridiculous.

Humans are a black plague, the worst one the Earth has ever seen. Their greatest achievement is destroying much of our beautiful planet in a couple of centuries and washing it in the blood of the meek!

It's time for another Great Flood and a New Start!
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 14 October 2014 9:40:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy