The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Myths, lies, deceptions, and a very long war > Comments

Myths, lies, deceptions, and a very long war : Comments

By Graham Cooke, published 29/9/2014

Many Arabs - and not just the radical ones - see themselves as one nation; Arab unity has been a consistent theme running down the years.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
While I agree that Greg Sheridan was going too far in suggesting that "the rise of the Islamic State (IS) could in no way be linked to the 2003 American invasion of Iraq", I think that the author's thesis is also a bit simplistic. The problem with Sheridan's piece (in my view) was mainly the use of the words "in no way".

The view expressed in the current article is that "many Arabs – and not just the radical ones – see themselves as one nation". Hence "So when an Arab country is attacked the entire Arab Street is outraged" and "Any incursions by the infidel West onto the sacred soils of Islam, and especially Arab Islam, are going to have consequences".

The author's alternative theory therefore is that the advent of IS is one of these consequences of Western intervention in Iraq.

While I take the point, I think many other factors are also at work. Also, while many Arabs may see themselves as one nation, the extent of Arab division and tribalism should not be overlooked.
Posted by Bren, Monday, 29 September 2014 8:58:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Absolutely, Bren...

Why would the toppling of the Sunnis in Iraq and their subsequent and systematic stripping of power and resources by the Iranian-backed Shiite government of Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki have contributed to the spawning of ISIS?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/opinion/sunday/thomas-l-friedman-obamas-strategy-for-fighting-isis-isnt-all-about-us.html

"There will be no self-sustained stability unless those civil wars are ended and a foundation is laid for decent governance and citizenship. Only Arabs and Muslims can do that by ending their sectarian wars and tribal feuds. We keep telling ourselves that the problem is “training,” when the real problem is governance. We spent billions of dollars training Iraqi soldiers who ran away from ISIS’s path — not because they didn’t have proper training, but because they knew that their officers were corrupt hacks who were not appointed on merit and that the filthy Maliki government was unworthy of fighting for. We so underestimate how starved Arabs are, in all these awakenings, for clean, decent governance."
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 29 September 2014 9:10:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A VERY LONG WAR! Graham, it is music to the ears of the Predatory Capitalists and their brain-dead supporters.

They will be having orgasms of delight to read this headline. What could be better?

Well, I suppose if the U.N. decided that permanent war was a better option. It would give those who make the weapons and the munitions a capacity to dream up a more reliable management plan for the future.

What a mess we humans have made of our world. In Ancient Greece, the vast potential of the human minds was explored as was the artistic and dramatic qualities of many humans. Then these capacities were pushed aside as Rome adopted the 'Invade and Plunder' model which is still with us, thanks to America!

War is a destructive force. It brings out the worst in humans. It brings immense suffering and destruction and hatreds that live for centuries.

The people of the world must reject the war model because now we have nukes and, one day, some psychopath from London or Washington or Moscow is going to use them.

Can't you see the writing is on the wall for us? We are living on the edge of a precipice.

War and nukes must be banned. The warmongers must be confronted and their teeth must be pulled!

To do nothing is condoning human extinction, enabling it!

Make your choice!
Posted by David G, Monday, 29 September 2014 9:46:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My Solution to the Middle East problem.

Seal the Borders let no one out for any reason. All moslems must return to the Middle East immediately. All Western influences must be removed from the Middle East.

When they have sorted their problems out. Then the West might talk to the Middle East but no moslem is allowed to leave the Middle East area to contaminate the West with their Archaic Religion.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 29 September 2014 11:04:54 AM
Absolutely Agree Poirot; And can only add, your analysis is backed by the Arab Spring Phenomena.
If the Author is saying one thing, then it surely must be, birds of a feather tend to collect together; and or, some of the people can be fooled all of the time!
But particularly, village idiots, who think their personally perceived problems can be solved with a gun; rather than compounded by imbecilic/ whim and caprice of a madman/knuckle dragging Neanderthal, primitive stone age/brainless, moribund violence!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 29 September 2014 12:47:06 PM
The tragedy of the Middle East is that nationalism - the aspiration to bring together all Arab nations under one rule - has always clashed with Islamism - the aspiration to bring all Sunni (or Shia) believers under one rule. The overlap is an illusion.

Each force degenerates into semi-fascist dictatorship, one way or another. But neither force has ever been strong enough to prevail, giving way to discontent, disillusion, and a swing periodically to the other force.

'Community' is usually defined everywhere not just by who is IN, who is 'US', but who is forever OUT, 'THEM'.

So Arab nationalists are opposed to Kurds, Turks, Iranians and any other-non Arabs having any say: they are 'not-community', therefore enemies.

In a similar parochial mind-set, Sunni Muslims are opposed to Shi'ite Muslims, or Yazidis, or Christians (Copts, Assyrians, Chaldeans, etc.) having any power: they are 'not-community', outside the Umma, therefore enemies.

Less brutally, but along the same lines, Shi'ite Muslims are opposed to Sunni Muslims, or Baha'i, or Christians, having any power: they also are 'not-community', outside the fold in one way or another, therefore enemies.

And 'enemies' are not regarded as human, but of the Devil, Shaitan, and therefore not worthy of life, let alone power.

So the Yanks should have been aware that any road to democracy was going to be very long, and very bloody. But I suppose like all of us, they live in hope. Hope tinged somewhat with arrogance.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 29 September 2014 3:46:38 PM
'Many Arabs – and not just the radical ones – see themselves as one nation'

so the only rational conclusion from Graham's worldview is that it is idiotic to be allowing Arab muslims to immigrate to the Western nations. They have been killing off infidels long before 2003.Scott Morison is indeed a hero.
Posted by runner, Monday, 29 September 2014 3:55:21 PM
"But particularly, village idiots, who think their personally perceived problems can be solved with a gun; rather than compounded by imbecilic/ whim and caprice of a madman/knuckle dragging Neanderthal, primitive stone age/brainless, moribund violence!"

Rusty, exactly what does this sentence mean?

'Community' is usually defined everywhere not just by who is IN, who is 'US', but who is forever OUT, 'THEM'.

Bigmouth, what does the above mean?

P.S. Both of you gentlemen need to do remedial English!
Posted by David G, Monday, 29 September 2014 4:04:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G: Rusty, exactly what does this sentence mean? & Bigmouth, what does the above mean?

It's very plain to those that English is their first language David. I guess Arabic is more your first language, so you are excused for not getting the gist of those sentences.

I'll let Rhosty explain but suffice to say "knuckle draggers" are those people with very low IQ that live in & come from the ME.

"Community," as an example, If you are a Sunni in a Sunni Community then you are "In" & one of the "us". Any one else is "out" & therefore must be killed.

Schrimple Sherlock.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 29 September 2014 4:31:59 PM
David,

I've heard 'community' defined as 'those who feel united by a common mistaken belief', which usually is enough to exclude those who don't 'believe'. So 'community' is as much an exclusionary concept as an inclusionary one. And usually an illusionary concept as well.

I recall when I was studying community development thirty or more years ago, this was commonly accepted. When you get to about Year 10 or 11, your social studies or geography teacher will probably teach you about it. Good luck.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 29 September 2014 4:56:31 PM
"I recall when I was studying community development one hundred and thirty or more years ago, this was commonly accepted," says Bigmouth.

Jayb, thanks for explaining what BM was trying to say. It's so nice when people work together, each helping the other along with their difficulties.

BM is always trying to help the members of the OLO community to think just like him and always shows tolerance and respect for those fortunates who don't 'think' like him.

He does however seem to have a strange interest in schoolboys, have you noticed?
Posted by David G, Monday, 29 September 2014 5:38:33 PM
Joe,

"So the Yanks should have been aware that any road to democracy was going to be very long..."

Well...if yer honest...the spiel about delivering democracy was like a free set of steak knives on a K-Tel commercial.

We all know what the main game was.

And the blockheads who ran the Bush show couldn't have given a toss for the vacuum created or the tangled web of enmities and loyalties which dictate terms in the area.

Simplistic arrogant buffoons in charge of advanced weaponry was what we got.

And Iraq has been dealing with it ever since.
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 29 September 2014 6:12:33 PM
David,

Thirty years ago, 1982 to be exact, although of course, living in an Aboriginal community some years before that and observing many others, I became well aware of the limitations of the notion of 'community' - the 'spray-on solution', someone called it.

It's depressing that each young generation has to learn the same stupid bloody lessons over and over again.

Hi Poirot,

It would be great if you could get beyond your childish obsession with the Yanks. There are worse beasts in the world. When the Yanks behead someone, let me know.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 30 September 2014 12:28:16 AM
David,

'Community - the spray-On Solution' by Lois Foster. I remember now :)

My head is full of useless bits and pieces of information, like a library in which the librarian simply tosses any returned books onto a huge pile, and then has to fossick through it if someone asks for a book that's buried there somewhere.

Red wine doesn't help either.

Brilliant article !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 2 October 2014 11:35:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy