The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Undermining Australia's secular national anthem > Comments

Undermining Australia's secular national anthem : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 23/9/2014

Who in the parliament will present a bill making it an offence to sing alternative verses to the National Anthem? Protocol is obviously not enough.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Onthebeach I agree with you, who knows the words anyway, it is a horrible National Anthem, it makes me cringe every time I hear it, still it is 100% better than the previous "God save the Queen" why should God save an extremely wealthy old woman any more than the poorest person on the planet. Give me "I still call Australia home" a feeling of patriotism comes in when sung, and that is what we want, especially now
Posted by Ojnab, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 2:37:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ojnab,

Agreed.

Perhaps limit 'The Dirge' (Gough is to blame for it) to those pretentious formal political occasions and "I still call Australia home" for everything else.

I reckon that sporting bodies should take the initiative. They would if it was up to the players and spectators, but alas, sporting officialdom are so often stuffed shirts like the pollies.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 2:57:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like to sing this third verse of "God Save the Queen"

"God grant that Marshall Wade,
Shall by Thy almighty aid,
Victory Bring.
May he sedition crush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the Queen."

on appropriate occasions of course.

GStQ is still the Royal Anthem of the Monarchy of the Commonwealth of Australia.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 4:03:02 PM
I wonder if Max has an issue with the Indigeneous flag being used on many official occasions?
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 4:26:21 PM
Once more we are being harassed by a lunatic fringe whose numbers are bloated by a perverted census question. How "traditional" are their fantasies, how historical how time-honoured their delusional rantings when measured against the 50,000 years of indigenous pagan/animist beliefs? How secure is their claim to a christian society when the laws by which we govern ourselves have their origins in the ancient Graeco-Roman pagan/animist/polytheistic civilisations?

Christianity itself is a selective plagiarism of just about every religion to be found in the Mediterranian/Middle Eastern regions from earliest times. It is an upstart, a johnny-come-lately in human intellectual attempts to make some sense of Nature's indifference, to transmogrify indifference into benevolence.

This is a polite request to the religiously afflicted that they cease their obsession to infect all of society with their palsey. There's just too much at stake here. Johnathan Swift observed; "You can't reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned into." So just cease because it would really be the best thing to do.
Posted by Extropian1, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 5:12:46 PM
Extropian1

Well said.
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 23 September 2014 6:13:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy