The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Intelligent design - damaging good science and good theology > Comments

Intelligent design - damaging good science and good theology : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 9/9/2005

Peter Sellick argues it is not a good idea to teach intelligent design in our children's biology classes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. Page 24
  10. All
"All we can do is try to live with compassion and love for others"
Why? It doesn't necessarily further the evolutionary process.

And why do we assume that we have such an authority on what is and what isn't truth? If we argue that there is no knowable God (He/She/It/They is/are too big to grasp our heads around OR doesn't exist) then we have no foundation to say that anything we believe is correct. E.g. we could have evolved the wrong way, and not know about it. Thus everything we believe becomes relative and has no REAL meaning.

I think its admirable that you try to live with compassion and love for others. Why, I'm not sure. Because if we are just biological processes, free to invent our own sense of spirituality or lack thereof, it doesn't really matter what we think is true or good, in the end.

However, it seems to be, that at this point of time, Australians have decided that compassion and love are the moral standards to which we all might aspire (influenced by religion and/or our own innate sense of what's right and wrong, put there/evolved for whatever reason, I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any harm in it).

I salute everybody in this post who has chosen to be loving and compassionate. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone.
Posted by YngNLuvnIt, Tuesday, 6 December 2005 6:21:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like the Intelligent Design idea. It seems a lot of people immediately get the idea that it is simply an apologetic version of creationism and as such it is regarded as an opposing alternative to evolution. I think this is true in some people's minds. But I don't think evolution and intelligent design are antipathetic.

I think it's clear from the fossil record that life forms have come and gone in times gone by. What is not so clear is why and how. While natural selection and mutation are strong suspects as causative factors, there is evidence for and against.

But other factors may exist. I personally have marvelled that in all the physical universe, there appears to be only one factor that routinely violates the law of entropy. That's life. Only life assembles matter and energy into ordered forms. The physical universe has a certain degree of structure and order, particularly in low level crystalline structures. But in general, all these structures are headed toward a less ordered or energetic existence over time.

When I was young, I used to think carnivores and herbivores were enemies. Later I found out that they depend on each other for their survival in a balance that is said to be "delicate" by those who think such balances occur purely by chance. However they actually complementary and necessary in each other's continued survival.

There is large amounts of evidence that perhaps there is some kind of driving force or intelligence behind evolution. Insects for example, with acquired DDT resistance turning up in isolated countries far away from DDT usage. At the very least, there are significant unanswered questions.

None of these questions will get serious attention I fear as long as this subject has been hijacked by the black and white, faith-based thinking of both Creationists and Evolutionists.
Posted by steve42, Tuesday, 14 February 2006 5:30:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. Page 24
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy