The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bringing the Australian flag to a younger audience > Comments

Bringing the Australian flag to a younger audience : Comments

By Sean Jacobs, published 20/8/2014

In some quarters there's a strong desire to alter the flag but it enjoys overwhelming public enthusiasm.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The Royal Navy ensign (existing flag) ill befits our wide brown land girt by sea and SUVs.

I prefer this flag http://youtu.be/iJsO0dlvJyI as it has the all important Southern Cross and our national sporting colours:

Green and Gold

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 20 August 2014 12:19:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As George Carlin used to say," Flags are symbols for the symbol minded." They are just another elite tool of manipulation to pitch one culture against another.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 20 August 2014 5:35:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well sorry plantagenet, but I'm afraid that looks more suitable for the hairdressers association, than a country. It might however, be a good thing to fight under, provided that is, that your side couldn't see it. The enemy would be so busy rolling on the floor laughing, they would be easy meet.

I can't understand the lefties at all. It is mostly the left who want another flag, perhaps to please our latest immigrants, but they push locking up the future with heritage listing of some of the worst buildings ever built in Oz.

I can only assume they will agree with anything detrimental to the future of Oz.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 20 August 2014 7:43:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very nice flag, Pete.

It ticks a lot of boxes. It makes excellent use of the green and gold which, thanks to Kerry Packer, has lumped us with a disconcerting national colour clash since the 70s. The wave pattern conveys both the vastness of the landscape and the cultural importance of Australia's beaches. And the blue is so much more reflective of the Australian light than the murky maritime blue of the current flag.

Arjay

If we must have a 'elite tool of manipulation to pitch one culture against another', at least let's give ourselves a more stylish one than the ugly thing we've be saddled with for the last century.
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 21 August 2014 12:29:39 AM
Yes Plantagenet, I like that flag too.
It has a fresh Australian look, rather than a colonial British look.

We need only wait a few more years until all those still clinging to the 'Motherland's skirts are too old to care, before we have a referendum to ditch the predominantly English Australian flag!
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 21 August 2014 1:14:20 AM
Thanks Killarney and Suseonline

A new flag push, of course, won't occur under Abbott. However if Abbott is replaced by Turnbull (with republican sympathies) then the new flag may be a goer.

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 21 August 2014 1:54:08 AM
You've got that wrong too Pete.

Turnbull will never be PM of Oz, unless he switches to the labor party, & I doubt they would ever make a pale copy of Rudd, their leader.

The Libs would lose so much of their support with Turnbull, [that pale copy of Rudd] as leader, they would have no chance of being elected.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 21 August 2014 9:51:29 PM
plantagenet,
The chequered Police Ribbon is missing on your new flag ? You know the blue & white one that symbolises corruption & connivery in our justice system ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 22 August 2014 7:01:53 AM
Yes individual

The flag I'm proposing has that pleasing lack of Instrument of Authority which blights the current flag. The current flag is a derivative of a Royal Navy warship of the type that once ruled the waves. Police line is another possibility.

Note that the ANZACs fought under the Union Jack, not under the current Australian flag. We are developing away from the Union Jack.

The flag I'm proposing paints a metaphor for Australia - a healthy country, sporting the green and gold, sitting beneath the Southern Cross http://youtu.be/iJsO0dlvJyI .

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 22 August 2014 12:53:08 PM
The very idea of flags is, and has always been, a very bad idea. Rather than promoting inclusion, flags promote separatism and nationalism, and are often used as symbols under which terrible atrocities are committed, both in attack and defence. Atrocities are glorified if you're the winner.
Posted by AdrianD, Friday, 22 August 2014 1:47:32 PM
AdrianD,
Upon closer inspection you'll find that religion is doing what you blame flags of.
Australia was no Nation in the true sense of the word before the British justifyably or not claimed this land.
The indigenous had no cohesive nation as such. They inherited this land by what appears to be accidental back in the dim, dark ages & going by their many legends their lifestyle was one of conflict. They had no flag but they had their superstitions which of course are akin to the religions of other cultures.
As for a new flag, would it really make any difference to the dreadful mentality we have now in generation Y ? I don't think so.
Posted by individual, Friday, 22 August 2014 5:34:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy