The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ms Jackson and the ambiguity of whistleblowing > Comments

Ms Jackson and the ambiguity of whistleblowing : Comments

By Miles Little, published 14/8/2014

In the Aftermath (the fourth phase), whistleblowers tend to bear the scars of their encounters for life. They may have to find new jobs, retire, change names or emigrate to other countries to avoid local opprobrium.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Sure G'dayBruce

Snowden's rich, got sweet gals and lovin it.

In 2013-2014 "Snowden had received tens of thousands of dollars in cash awards and appearance fees from privacy organizations and other groups, fielded inquiries about book and movie projects, "Any moment that he decides that he wants to be a wealthy person," said Snowden's attorney Ben Wizner, "that route is available to him,"

"I don't live in absolute secrecy," he says. "I live a pretty open life—but at the same time I don't want to be a celebrity." He does not work for a Russian organization, yet is financially secure thanks to substantial savings from his years as a well-paid contractor and more recently numerous awards and speaking fees from around the world." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_snowden#2014

So Snowden's a bloke enriched from the proceeds of crime and having a great old time.

Oh the ethics. Oh the tragedy :-)

Cheers

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 14 August 2014 8:02:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Are you suggesting he was unethical to expose Government wrong-doing?

As for "tragedy", please explain, I can't see one.
Posted by G'dayBruce, Thursday, 14 August 2014 8:39:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On Snowden: So what if he has access to a massive cash windfall, he ain't gonna be able to spend it. If he buys a plane, its going to mysteriously crash with no survivors, or sailing in the Caribbeans? Whoops, didn't know those 'pirates' were real. If America can get away with it, they will render and ship him to a black site.

On this case: is it really whistleblowing if you rat out your fellow crooks?
Posted by nowhereman, Thursday, 14 August 2014 10:43:05 PM
‘morning Petro,

I guess it’s rewarding to have a rant about things without the burdensome impact of facts.

Just in case you missed it. As announced on February 14, 2014, Detective Gary Jenkins confirmed that Victoria’s fraud squad had conducted a thorough investigation into allegations raised by the HSU’s national office against Kathy Jackson. The Police confirmed that “There were no criminal offences detected”.

So far three HSU officials have been investigated by the police, Williamson and Thompson were found guilty and sentenced.

The TURC on the other hand is not the slightest bit interested in the individuals appearing before it at this stage. Their only interest is governance and corruption. Was there corruption, how many examples are there, how was this set up, where was the governance to prevent it and if there were rules of governance, how were they circumnavigated?

When you assert that << Jackson's indiscretions are/were manifestly more serious than >> those of Williamson and Thomson, I guess you know better than the police fraud squad, Fair Work Australia Commission, the courts and the judiciary?

As for the TURC proving Kathy Jacksons guilt, it is yet to conclude the hearings let alone publish any findings. I think you are confused by the entirely separate processes of police fraud squad investigations and the TURC.

It seems inevitable that that the TURC Commissioner will at some stage refer individuals to the DPP based on the evidence it has, Kathy Jackson may well be one of those however, unless new evidence comes to light, any action remain a civil case brought by the HSU.

Are you not the slightest bit curious that the HSU is not pursuing Williamson and Thompson for the $20m + they have been found guilty of stealing, yet the HSU is pursuing Kathy Jackson for the money she has not been found guilty of stealing?

Do you prefer persecution of the whistle blowers rather than the convicted criminals?

Just asking
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 15 August 2014 8:44:09 AM
And you worship Saint Edward Snowden, the successful crim, how?
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 18 August 2014 11:00:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy