The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Craven cave in on free speech > Comments

Craven cave in on free speech : Comments

By James Allan, published 7/8/2014

I know the government is calculating that people like me will vote for the Coalition anyway, come the next election, that, like the government itself, we don't really care about free speech.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
So many pre-election commitments have been discarded, what is wrong with another one.

18 C has been law for a couple of decades and the world did not collapse.

Those without power need protection, to a certain extent, from those with power. Bolt is very powerful, considering his column is “the most read column in Australia”. The people he had a go at warranted the protection of 18C.

The US certainly has hate laws. It is called “you can have a gun”. No value in comparing us with the US.

Very cynical calculations in-deed. The population at large did not want 18C to go. So the government, eventually, acceded to the population. How cynical was that, and how unusual for the Abbott government.
Posted by Tony153, Friday, 8 August 2014 10:33:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony153 "Those without power need protection, to a certain extent, from those with power. Bolt is very powerful, considering his column is “the most read column in Australia”. The people he had a go at warranted the protection of 18C."

Oh, they were poor unfortunates?
They are prominent, successful, award-winning people.
Hardly powerless victims.

If they truly felt wronged, they could sue for defamation.
Why didn't they?
They knew they'd lose.
They knew his questions/criticisms were perfectly legitimate issues to raise.

"The population at large did not want 18C to go"

I don't recall them asking for it in the first place.

In fact, I don't recall the electorate voting on any matter relating to immigration, minorities' "rights", multiculturalism, hate speech or any other related topic EVER!

Bring on the plebiscites!
Then we'll see what the population at large really want.
Not what the activists with the loudest megaphones want.
Posted by Shockadelic, Friday, 8 August 2014 11:21:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy