The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The choices we make: a ‘sliding doors’ moment > Comments

The choices we make: a ‘sliding doors’ moment : Comments

By David Peetz, published 16/7/2014

The HR Department could never be as softly persuasive as Orwell’s Ministry of Truth, or as violently persuasive as his Ministry of Love.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Interesting!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 16 July 2014 9:59:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The last paragraph is so true.
Posted by Wolly B, Wednesday, 16 July 2014 10:51:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The main point that is usually overlooked in articles like this -- and this one is no exception -- is that working conditions have become far more pleasant over time. Ten or even twelve hours in a comfortable chair in front of a computer screen, with a coffee machine nearby, a mobile phone in your pocket and Internet access to your email is very much easier to endure than seven hours on a noisy, dirty factory floor. freezing in winter and boiling in summer. Or digging ditches, or shouting down kindergartners, or running a noisy unreliable sewing machine. I have a great deal of trouble finding any sympathy for someone who claims that a certain number of working hours is 'too much' or 'unsustainable' without specifying what kind of work is involved.

So yes, let's try to reduce the working hours for those people who are engaged in doing things that are noisy, dirty, stressful or unpleasant. But if Mr. or Ms. Urban Office-Worker wants to spend two extra hours sitting in a comfortable chair in front of a computer screen at work rather than the television at home, why not let them?
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 16 July 2014 7:33:58 PM
GEEZ TALK ABOUT SLINDING DOORS
LETS SEE WITH SOME..20/20..unity-VISION
http://whatreallyhappened.com/podcasts/hourtitle1.m3u
currently tony is speaking at the b/20
[the b stands for business [twenty top business talking fot a weekend ?
get to make suggestiONS TO GOVT..[AN OPEN DOOR TO GOVT]

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE G/20...[I WOULD MAKE IT A TOPIC/BUT;IM ILLITERATE

REGARDLESS THE GOVT =20 IS MEETING TOO [AND THAT GOT ME THINKING

WHAT ABOUT THE I~20
OR THE PEOPLES 20
OR HUMJAN RIGHTS TWENTY/TWENTY
OR TOURISM 20/or cultural 20

the whole gammit of human abc's sliding through the 20/29 FAST CLOSING CORPERATE DOOR

I WANT TO HOST THE S~20
AND THE C~20
THE SMOKERS RIGHTS 20 AS HIGHEST TAX PAYERS TO GOVT GLOBALLY AND WE DONT GOT A SLIDING DOOR TO BE HEARD BY GOVT?

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

THE DOOR CLOSES
THE FIX IT IN
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~radnat/anstey%27s%20kingdom%20of%20shylock.html

GET EDUCATED

FAST/THESE ..'GOOD TIMES'..CANT LAST
ITS BIG BUSINESS LAST GASP[WHERE THE PROTEST?]

YEAH RIGHT/DOORS SHUT
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 17 July 2014 9:51:35 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy