The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Obliterating the past obliterates its lessons > Comments

Obliterating the past obliterates its lessons : Comments

By Phil Dye, published 14/7/2014

I say 'perceived' dark side as it's often the political thinking of the day that decides what is dark and what is not. These days it can also be decided by who has a smartphone in the vicinity.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Vilifying someone's name and work is a fairly natural reaction to the sensation that one has been fooled by them for years or decades. We all thought Rolf was such a nice fella -- despite the fact that we had no evidence except what was fed to us by the media machine -- so now we feel foolish, and we want to reach out and destroy. But canny investors will be snapping up Harris's paintings, I suspect, for the time to come when we feel foolish about feeling so foolish.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 14 July 2014 9:40:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author provides an incredibly unfeeling argument "Yet our inability to see that all of us are capable of doing both good and bad things is even more stupid."

No the public's concern for defenceless victims isn't "stupid".

It is disgusting to argue that all of us have potential to be violent pedophiles who grow rich and respectable while making life hell for defenceless kids.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 14 July 2014 11:36:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that most of us, that is the sane ones, know that we are capable of good and evil, however we control our urges either because of innate good will towards others or out of fear of the consequences; be they legal or moral.

Where there is a clear line between what is acceptable in society and what is not then line crossers do so at their peril.

Rolf Harris took a punt and he lost.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 14 July 2014 12:57:48 PM
Yeah Is Mise

There's a gross pervert in all of us. Any bloke who can sing and paint as well as Rolf should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Rolf showed no remorse when he let his fingers and his whats-it do the talking with kiddies. As with the Catholic Church morality and cruelty are just a negotiable value judgement. Just Bishop's buggering 4 year olds.

And I knew this bloke who was an SS Camp Commandant - Belsen I think it was - so he was a bit anti-Semitic - give this poor kindly old 80-90 year old a break.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 14 July 2014 1:13:55 PM
...The problem with the “Rolf Harris” saga is the question mark over the timing of the call to justice. Harris’s trial could only be fairly interpreted as a “Trial in Absentia”!

...I think the interminable delay in the official acknowledgment of a crime, rings alarm bells. Who and what is the motivation behind this delayed moral pogrom; is it simply a power play by the RC church, to deflect criticism; is this evidence of the power and influence of Pope Francis at play? Somebody write a book on the subject!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 14 July 2014 3:13:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy