The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Aussie hate-speech laws: no dissent allowed > Comments

Aussie hate-speech laws: no dissent allowed : Comments

By Laurence Maher, published 4/7/2014

Ten ways in which those advocating hate-speech laws are stifling debate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Ian D, anyone who expects a life of "peace and harmony" should not move to a social environment where they'll be ethnically incongruous.
Posted by Shockadelic, Friday, 4 July 2014 12:53:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
should not move to a social environment
Shockadelic,
Could you please let the previous idotic Labor Government know about this ? They sent such people to our communities without asking.
Posted by individual, Friday, 4 July 2014 1:27:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ian D who died and made you queen?
Shove your boundaries, you little bully, think you can shove us around? Well matey I will decide what I can think and I am sure you know now what I think of you!
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 4 July 2014 1:56:54 PM
I didn't know about the 'Irish joke' amendment, but if it's true, that sums up entirely the underlying problem with legislation like this.

This is neither about free speech nor hate speech, because it's far too selective and arbitrary. It's all about social engineering. Australia is simply following a global agenda to outlaw anything that may prohibit the ultimate breakdown of national states and the complete homogenisation of the world's cultures.

Similar (and much broader) legislation is being enacted in Europe and other Western nations - wherever there exists racial tension points caused by excess migration, indigenous conflict and refugee intakes. Such legislation is designed to suppress much of the inevitable negative impact of enforced racial and cultural intermingling caused by the increasing destabilisation of countries through war, unfair trade agreements, economic sanctions and so forth.

Senator Brandis may pull off a Little Dutch Boy coup for now, but eventually this ridiculous and dangerous legislation will triumph.
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 4 July 2014 6:50:41 PM
It is extremely gratifying to realise that multiculturalism is in real trouble when its adherents demand that oppressive laws be introduced to shut up debate on the subject. But it is not gratifying to realise that our western democracy must be in real trouble when they seem to be getting away with it. Rather incredibly, the NSW Liberal Party has come out in favour of opposing free speech, as it sees ethnic votes in marginal electorates as being more important than supporting one of the foundations of western democracy.

The whole thing gets idiotic when you realise that 18C is now being supported by both Muslim and Jewish ethnic leaders. Its nice to know that these two groups can finally agree on something. Although one wonders why they wish to live in a free society when they support the idea of the repression of political thought in the first place?

One presumes that one reason why both of these warring groups support 18C is because they see it as a protection for their particular groups. But neither Jews nor Muslims are "a race." Therefore they must already know that "the term "racism" can be stretched by liberal judges to mean "religions.'

But there is a catch here if stretched to religions. A "religion" is simply a "belief system", and if "belief systems" are now protected from criticism, what about political belief systems? This is especially relevant to Islam which combines religion, politics and a justice system in it's belief system.

Unless the Anti Discrimination pukes want to be guilty of that awful sin of "discrimination", they must include all belief systems. That means that no political party can be criticised for fear of violating 18C.
Posted by LEGO, Friday, 4 July 2014 8:04:15 PM
An interesting footnote re the whole issue of discrimination. Recently I befriended a guy who hails from Pakistan but now resides in OZ. He is currently working in a call centre.During a number of discussions we’ve had he has made much of the tendency of locals to prefer conversing with locally born operatives. He often quoted the Lefty-Green slogans about it being a clear breach of anti-discrimination-racism and proof the boganism.

However, one day I happened upon him returning from his morning break with a cup of coffee.And, seeing that he had walked half way up the street I enquired as to why he had walked past three or four other coffee shops to visit the one he shopped at –his answer was noteworthy : “ because a woman from my country works at that shop and I like chatting with her in my language”!

It never dawned on him for one moment that there might be a parallel in locals preferring to talk to locals when on the receiving end of a call centre call –I thought to myself --THERE GOES ANOTHER COMFIRMED SUPPORTER OF MORE STRINGENT ANTI-HATE LAWS!
Posted by SPQR, Saturday, 5 July 2014 9:17:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy