The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Feminism, SUVs and road rage > Comments

Feminism, SUVs and road rage : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 1/7/2014

Something unusual happens when otherwise perfectly modern couples enter a car. They often regress and revert to traditional gender roles.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Beware of cars with pink number plates and frangipanis on the rear window...
Posted by ateday, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 8:54:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There’s another level to this story – police bias.

Where there is a wrangle between a male driver and female driver, with a lot of he said – she said argument about what really happened and who was at fault, the police are very likely to simply come out on the side of the woman.

I guess the warped logic that they use is that men are natural aggressors and women aren’t that way inclined at all.

Then once the police have deemed you to be in the wrong, when you are actually completely in the right and have done the right thing by taking the matter to the police, your goose is COOKED... because it is then a matter of you having to prove that you were not in the wrong.

The basic premise of law that you are innocent until proven guilty is the biggest LIE ever perpetrated upon us!

So, look out. Female aggressive drivers, of which there are many, in SUVs and all sorts of other vehicles, really do OWN THE ROAD!!
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 9:37:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...And beware; vehicles with a large black and white "SA",(South Africa) logo on the rear window; especially if driven by a female in city traffic...very very dangerous!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 9:37:28 AM
More prevalent in South Africa than in OZ I suspect.
Posted by ateday, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 10:23:43 AM
In the spirit of the author postulating:

"The behaviour of women in association with cars suggest the oestrogen laden sex is more than happy to assert themselves in a forthright, even aggressive manner when left to their own devices."

I wonder what the feminist equivalent of:

"Big Car, small D**k is?

Big Car, small T(*)(*)ts ?
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 12:17:57 PM
I'm afraid the author is displaying his suburban mentality. I suppose some Five Dock ladies drive these things by choice, but I doubt it is the majority.

I know quite a few women who drive large 4WD crew cab utes, with canopies. That these are large vehicles is in no doubt. That they are very useful vehicles is also in no doubt. However what is in doubt is whether these ladies like or want to drive these vehicles.

The reason most of these ladies, including both my daughters drive these things is their recreation activities. Add a couple of kids to carry, & some bulky gear required for that recreation & there is often no other choice legally available.

For people who have to tow boats, horse floats, caravans, car trailers etc., they have become almost a requirement. Not by choice, but by government regulation. When some public service clown, who no doubt could not drive air out of a wet paper bag, probably advised by an army of similarly restricted academics decided on towing restrictions, we were stuck with such vehicles.

Most of the ladies have to use the thing, as the family can't afford another shopping trolley for her. My daughters hate the things, & would live their little Toyota or Mazda back. They find parking difficult, & visibility less than desirable.

When I tried to give my lady the horse float towing Ford F100 ex ambulance to use as her runabout, she was so intimidated by the huge wide bonnet, she drove along with 2 wheels in the dirt. I had to relent, & give her back a small car, but it was an expense I'd rather not have had.

I find it interesting when people who should know better start pontification based on nothing but an urban myth.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 1:33:50 PM
I'm on the road for many hours a day in my job.
I have seen my fair share of road rage, but have rarely seen women or SUV's involved.

It has almost always involved young to middle-aged males in large sedans, usually V6 or V8 vehicles, and much of this rage has been directed towards other drivers of both genders, and all ages, in all different sorts of cars.

That's just my experience of course, no doubt violent women are raging against other drivers in record numbers everywhere else in Australia, other than where I live......
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 2:44:49 PM
The article is mildly entertaining.

It reminds though how difficult it is to find an article that doesn't take the hack's short-cut of dumping (rude pun intended) a mess of stereotypes in lieu of facts and reason. Not having a shot at the author, he is amusing and lighthearted. There is a place for that, but (there just had to be a 'but') it is the wading end of the pool stuff.

How to deal with a monstrosity that is so laden down with wrong, negative stereotypes as feminism though, that is the question.

Nothing like the middle class for taking advantage of any guvvy 'initiative' though. Some feminists could have been suffering whiplash such was the elastic *snap* of their heads to latch onto the taxpayers' boobs to suck greedily for decades.

Better to allow feminism to continue to grow fungus and be forgotten as an excess of the past, while wondering how so few educated middle women could manage to make so much hay (and for so long!) out of their fraudulent social 'research'.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 4:33:29 PM
My "educated middle women" omitted a word, it should be "educated middle class women".
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 4:43:26 PM
Really?
Or is that just subjective analysis?
Or the result of sleep deprivation, party drugs, population pressure, endless and increasing gridlock and what have you?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 5:41:18 PM
My goodness me! I agree with Hasbeen. (Hi five, Hazza.)

Mothers are the principal family taxi - and often taxying other people's rugrats around for free. Quite simply, you can fit a lot more rugrats into an SUV, and in the event of an accident, they are much safer. So I reckon we can take the author's angry-stiletto fantasies with a grain of salt.

And I don't know about other families, but in mine and most of the families I observe, if the family is in the father's car, he drives; if the family is in the mother's car, she drives.

As for women being passive map readers, I'm confused. Wasn't there a whole rash of books that came out about 10 years ago (also written by male shrinks) pontificating about how women can't read maps, because their poor little brains weren't wired that way and because they didn't have maps on Venus?
Posted by Killarney, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 7:53:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy