The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What the prime minister might have said > Comments

What the prime minister might have said : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 12/6/2014

The Liberal Party does have a view of the world, and it needs to be enunciated especially at times like these. Not everyone will like it, but that is not important.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
My fellow Australians.

I begin this speech the American way, because America is the country I want Australia to be and because Australia is not American enough.

We in government are a group of well-born, hyper well-off men (and some women), all educated at the most prestigious schools our taxpayers can subsidise. That gave us a silver-tailed network of equally well-off men (and some women) that opened all the right doors which led to the fabulous salaries and perks we earn today.

We are committed to the values that ensure men like us (and some women) will remain wealthy long after the electorate boots us out, so that we will be head-hunted by all the best mega-corporations we so aim to please.

We all know the greatest danger to democracy is a profitable government enterprise, one that earns revenue for the people instead of profits for private mega-corporations. So we are selling off what little remains of our public assets as quickly as possible.

We are proud of our macho Anzac tradition and will continue to screw the poor so we can afford to spend 100s of billions of taxpayer dollars on big shiny war weapons. That’s what courage and mateship is all about.

We are committed to the demonisation of all Australians who fall on hard times, because they are the losers and we are the winners. Hopefully, they’ll all disappear if we ignore them long enough. If not, we’ll just let them starve.

Thank you.
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 13 June 2014 1:02:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Big Nana, we already have the second highest house prices in the world, with Sydney already the most expensive city in the world.
And that's largely due to the follow on effects of Negative gearing.
As for intending retirees, well, there's another better option, called positive gearing!
In fact, if you are already a home owner, with a modest disposable income, you could, if courageous, buy some mining tenement houses?
New, on no deposit, and the tenant not only repays the loan, and $60.00 @ wk to you, but provides you, the eventual retiree, with a freehold retirement nest egg investment. All guaranteed by various mining co's?
The best options for the early bird, is around Australian operated mines, with an expected commercial life of not less than 90 years.
I can't mention builders by name here, but there's a debt free, competitive Queensland builder, who specializes in steel framed housing, that has a structural guarantee of fifty years; and comes replete with a water tank and solar power.
That said, at least 35% of today's population will never ever be able to afford a home, and are condemned to rent forever!
And that's hell for really cash strapped retirees! I mean and for heavens sake, a Sydney bedsit, already cost more than the single pension!
And given the new debt imposts on tertiary students, this tenant number can only ever grow!
At least, if we ended the welfare for the rich, that is negative gearing, [we are the only nation dumb enough to have it,] housing costs could then come down as debt laden speculators, were virtually forced to cut their losses and flee the market.
An outcome, which would be no bad thing, given the number of foreign speculators, and indeed, what their various nefarious activities inside the residential housing market, did to the Celtic tiger, and a burgeoning Spanish economy!
Not examples to emulate, I assure you!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 13 June 2014 10:23:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhrosty,

Agree, I heard a report on the ABC that quoted third highest in relation to income, which is probably the more significant data. There's a real estate bubble and it will burst sooner or later and take a large proportion of the middle class down with it when their McMansions are valued at less than than their mortgages.
Posted by mac, Friday, 13 June 2014 8:08:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy