The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Choosing the Book over books > Comments

Choosing the Book over books : Comments

By Nina Johnson, published 12/6/2014

If people are hungry for spiritual fulfilment at writers festivals, then they'll end up starving.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
But...

>>It is rare in my culture to suspect others motives or to sssign to them the common characteristics of foreigners eg. Racism.<<

Is that not exactly what you are doing, imajulianutter?

e.g.

>>...foreigness pervades sections of our culture. It is usually confined to elites and newer arrivals.<<

and

>>In our communities connections to the Australian culture and the land are still far stronger than the connections of newer arrivals (a self evident truth) and the inner city uni educated elites.<<

How did you get on with the information on the Sydney Writers Festival? Anything there that supports your anti-new-Australian views? We are supposed to be discussing church vs. writers festivals, after all.
Posted by Pericles, Saturday, 14 June 2014 3:03:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Iamajulianutter,
You suggest our land will shape its inhabitants as it has always done for 40,000 years. Would we disagree with that?

Yes, I would disagree.

The idea that any community has been living on the Australian continent for the last 40,000 years is preposterous by any intelligent examination. The effect of such huge numbers of people on the land would have been far more evident.

Do you understand population growth models? Start with any small number of people. Insert any population increase factor (however small,) and multiply by 40,000. The figure arrived at is astronomically big, and ridiculously so. It's impossible. It never happened.

The idea that Australian aborigines may have lived here for tens of thousands of years is a nice, politically popular myth, but it defies any evidence. A few thousand years at most is more likely.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Sunday, 15 June 2014 12:53:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dan S de Merengue, you use the word "evidence" here quite loosely, I feel.

>>The idea that Australian aborigines may have lived here for tens of thousands of years is a nice, politically popular myth, but it defies any evidence.<<

There is, of course, a wealth of evidence to that effect. The fact that you reject that evidence is a personal choice on your part, and doesn't suddenly cause history itself to evaporate.

But you and I have been here many times before, so on this occasion I'll leave imajulianutter to follow the intellectual contortions of your belief system.
Posted by Pericles, Sunday, 15 June 2014 10:16:46 AM
Dear Pericles. Thanks, as always, for your words of encouragement.

I trust that you (and Julian) know how to add and multiply. So try for yourself. Find a calculator. Punch in any base number, with any mild or ordinary rate, multiplied 40,000 times, and the numbers speak for themselves. 40,000 is not credible. Try it and see.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Sunday, 15 June 2014 11:59:24 PM
And your assumption, Dan S de Merengue, is that you apply a single multiplication factor to your mathematical model, and calculate exponentially from that number?

>>Punch in any base number, with any mild or ordinary rate, multiplied 40,000 times, and the numbers speak for themselves. 40,000 is not credible. Try it and see.<<

It may come a something of a shock, but occasionally, people have been known to die. This creates the need to introduce a negative factor at some point, which is not catered for in your scenario.

"In this view it is the interaction between the effects of fluctuating climate and environment and of competition with modern humans that would have led to the eventual Neanderthal extinction."

http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/what-happened-to-the-neanderthals-68245020

Trying to justify your position on young earth creationism through the application of gonzo mathematics simply doesn't wash, I'm afraid.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 16 June 2014 10:17:25 AM
'" (I suspect you mean folks of Aisan descent), and the recent sign advertising "New: English services" at the church around the corner will become completely redundant.

But I suspect this may be your main problem:'

that Pericles is you assigning attitudes and disparaging a person.

that is playing the man in debate. Now show me where I have played you in this debate?

Argue my points instead of attacking me as racist. There is no racism in my thoughts as I have expressed them. That you interpret my expression of my thoughts as racist says more about you than you realise. It shows three things
:you lack any appreciation of how we have become the culture we are today
:you lack a complete understanding of Australian culture
:you are attempting to stifle discussion by bullying.

These say your arguments are weak and are leading nowhere. This presents Australian culture only in a negative light and is a perfect example of how our elite's and academic's are presenting their modern cultural cringe.

As our culture and underlining philosophy comes from our communities and not our elites and academics, as Bertrand Russell maintained, it becomes very easy to see why you are so confused.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 16 June 2014 10:11:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy