The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why we should get anxious when people say they 'care' > Comments

Why we should get anxious when people say they 'care' : Comments

By Fran Vicary, published 5/6/2014

The use of the word 'care' implies a paternalist relationship where one person, the 'carer', is in a position of power over the person who is being 'cared for'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Quote….

#This should translate to people with disabilities being able to enter the NDIS with a vision or plan for their lives and the supports required to achieve it. In practice, this should rebalance the societal positioning of people with disabilities and end the victimhood that often comes from being recipients of charity or “care”#. NOT!

...Let me give you the “Other” world view!

...Anything with the word “Insurance” in it, defaults to... criminal negligence, plunder, gouging, dogs-breakfast, rip-off, extortion, profiteering, anti-competition, protection racket, monopoly, feather-bedding, …I’m out of breath….And add any other little secret scam also applicable to the banking industry in as well! :-(
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 5 June 2014 9:11:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Absolutely ! ! !

Thank you for articulating this important point.

Though, I must say that I'm guilty of using this negative language as well. Whilst I prefer 'support worker', 'personal assistant', or some such, "carer' is just easier to say.

David Heckendorf
Posted by David Winston, Thursday, 5 June 2014 9:13:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I applaud Fran and all the other cognitively-able people with physical disability who are stirring things up at the moment. However, they don't speak for all. It is not the language that has positioned parents as "long-suffering carriers of this societal burden" but government policies. After thirty-seven years as unpaid support worker (I dare not say carer) to my severely intellectually disabled son, I may not suggest that the task has been onerous, that I am abandoned or exploited or that my Masters degree has gone unused, because this positions my son in the role of "burden"
Posted by estelles, Thursday, 5 June 2014 10:08:57 AM
I was one of half a dozen kids raised by a deserted single mum.
Two of us didn't make it.
I was too young to know or be affected by their passing, although there was many a time when mum had a mystery tear in her eye.
And many a time she went without food, so we kids could have at least one daily meal.
Times were very tough during and just after the war years, when everything was rationed.
Try as she might, mum had to declare defeat and have us placed in homes, when she was hospitalized and nearly died.
I didn't reconnect until in my early teens, and she was still the same caring mum I'd known.
So, it was no problem to care for her 24/7 in her last ten years on the planet.
Nonetheless, it was sometimes very hard, albeit, mum just didn't complain very much.
Locals found it strange that a permanently partially disabled man, would do as much, wash, cook, clean etc etc. However, I couldn't lift and had to call the ambos a few times!
And I never claimed a carers allowance!
Never even thought about it!
I guess that's what one does when one cares.
I just can't imagine anything worse than to be abandoned by your own family members, and left in the hands of perfect strangers Fran, particularly, when you need so much intimate care!
However, and that said, I do believe that the bulk of people, who do this thankless work, for far too little; are basically decent caring people!
And a teaspoon of sugar will buy much more "willing" care than a barrel full of vinegar or complaints!
Carers can and do get tired, and I've seen nurses, trembling with sheer exhaustion at the end of a busy busy shift!
And should be automatically forgiven if they get a little testy, with their workload.
Focus on that which you have absolute control over, and learn to simply accept that which you cannot change.
Anything else is the road to madness. Take care.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 5 June 2014 11:27:44 AM
From my blog: http://gleecrip.blogspot.com.au

Monday, 20 December 2010

Who Cares?
From the Carer's Recognition Act - nice to see it defined:

"Who is a carer?

A carer, for the purposes of the Carers Recognition Act 2005, is a person who provides ongoing care or assistance to someone who has a disability. The disability may relate to a physical, intellectual or mental illness, a chronic disease, a terminal condition or may relate to a person who is frail and therefore needs assistance to carry out daily tasks.

Who is not a carer? (for the purposes of the Act)

Volunteers and paid staff working for agencies are not included in this definition. Neither is a person a “carer” only because of their relationship to the person cared for, or because care is provided to a child placed in the care of a person under the Children’s Protection Act 1993, or some other Act."

I do wish people would stop referring to paid workers as "carers" It's a loaded word and someone who is paid should not have it bestowed upon them. Cares?
From the Carer's Recognition Act - nice to see it defined:
Posted by Glee, Thursday, 5 June 2014 9:02:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This really all depends on the degree of disability, does it not ? Whether its a physical or mental disability, or a combination of both !
Posted by trapdiocan, Saturday, 7 June 2014 9:48:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy