The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mr Gonski and the social contract > Comments

Mr Gonski and the social contract : Comments

By Dean Ashenden, published 23/5/2014

Neither Labor nor the Coalition is rising to the challenge posed by Gonski.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Gonski under different Governments? (Part Two)
The party in power influences the funding distribution and the amount of funding supply from the Federal Government and the changing funding policies. The argument between two parties, makes the Gonski model not reliable and is possibly confuses people over what are current funding policies and are they still eligible to apply the funding at all. In some people’s views, it does not matter which party governs the Federal Government, as long as they make the commitment to come true and clarify for schools and students so they can understand how they can receive their right from the government.
References:

ABC news. (2013). Newman still refusing to give a Gonski. Retrieved from, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-26/newman-still-refusing-to-give-a-gonski/4782956
Griffiths, E. (2013). Labor refuses to back own legislation to cut university funding by $2.3 billion amid Gonski debate. Retrieved May 17, 2014 from http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-03/labor-university-education-funding-gillard-gonski/5132218
Kenway, J. (2013). Challenging inequality in Australian schools: Gonski and beyond, Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education. Taylor & Francis Group, 34(2), 286-308. DOI:10.1080/01596306.2013.770254
Lewis, S. (2013). Gillard Government to spend $50 million on Gonski advertising campaign. Retrieved from http://www.news.com.au/national/gillard-government-to-spend-50million-on-gonski-advertising-campaign/story-fnho52ip-1226632600044
Ministers' Media Centre. (2013a). Coalition to put more funding into schools. Retrieved April 25, 2014 from http://ministers.education.gov.au/pyne/coalition-put-more-funding-schools
Ministers' Media Centre. (2013b). Interview with Marius Benson, ABC NewsRadio breakfast program. Retrieved April 25, 2014 from http://ministers.education.gov.au/pyne/interview-marius-benson-abc-newsradio-breakfast-program
Posted by Blue Sky, Saturday, 24 May 2014 5:37:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...Too much schooling...Not enough work = The problem!
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 25 May 2014 9:00:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver.
My parents, both of them worked very hard.
They were raised by single parents doing the depression era, a consequence of lost breadwinners in both wars or aftermaths.
These privations took their toll, with both forced to work, before they became teenagers, and at the most menial jobs!
My father, came home from the army at the end of his war, a very different man.
The marriage only lasted two more years, and at a time when there was little or no safety net for deserted mothers!
I earned my first days pay, at an adult rate, aged just nine; money that was promptly confiscated by my mother, who was stretched to the absolute limit, putting the bare necessities on the table and our backs!
I recall walking around three miles to school on gravel roads on cold and frosty mornings!
I remember many nights going to bed, my empty belly grumbling and trying to digest itself.
I left school the day I turned fifteen, and worked at extremely hard dirty jobs, because the pay was better.
So if all we needed was hard work and application, I and many millions like me, would be billionaires! Not cripples!
As almost always, those who have trod a far easier path and had many more real breaks or opportunity, are busy busy with their blame shifting or blaming the victim, Diver!
Perhaps if you were capable of walking the proverbial mile in another's shoes, or just had enough intelligence to have a halfway decent imagination, you could shelve the victim blaming, that neither is useful or helpful anything, except compounding or growing the current raft of often intractable problems!
People who grow up in post code poverty traps, often go on to raise hugely disadvantaged families, in post code poverty traps!
Disadvantage is so self sustaining!
Perhaps if we replaced the Jack boot arrogance, with a modicum of compassion, we might find a way to work together cooperatively, for the betterment of us all?
And there is a place in that mix for tough love! Jawol?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Sunday, 25 May 2014 11:36:41 AM
...Well Rhrosty, nice to hear from you. As I have often claimed on these illustrious pages, you mostly “get it” pretty right, (however, there are some glaring exceptions).

...With a compass bearing directed towards the “Old days”, is pretty much where Abbott is steering the ship at the moment; and with good reason!

...You describe in your post, a world where endeavor was the expectation; not the exception as in the current age of welfare feather bedding.

...As for post code poverty traps you decry, no dole for six months is a fantastic idea which may provide the impetus to slackers to actually “tread the boot on the road” looking towards a better future, with work as a necessity, not work as a “shirk” as currently it is, when the comforts of home prevent exodus!

...You describe also a life where work commenced as a nine YO. Today that is classified as child abuse! Children are not permitted to work. What a farce; it is not a wonder that the work ethic died in Australia with the rise of the welfare dollar.

...It is “Honorable” to work Rhrosy, it is dishonorable not to try! Too many "Bludgers" in this country who, to this point in time, were succeeding in hiding it
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 25 May 2014 3:56:54 PM
Until we address the debt and once again move back to Govt banks that can create at least our inflationary money debt free, it will be known as Gone ski.

It took the Howard Govt 10 yrs to pay off $90 billion Labor debt under good trade conditions with China. How log to pay off $667 billion or 7 times this debt in not so good terms of trade?

Get the picture?
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 25 May 2014 6:45:57 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhrosty yes it was tough, for many of us. Fortunately my barefoot school going was in Townsville. It was pretty cold in Bathurst at 6.00 AM however, when at 10 I had a bike & a morning paper round.

One advantage was that parents had no worry about pedophiles back then. I don't think many survived being found out in those days of swift justice. I wouldn't want a 10 year old riding around most towns in the early morning today.

The advantage of country living with plenty of rabbits before myxomatosis, you only needed a good dog to sniff them, & a mattock to dig them out of their warrens, & you didn't go hungry. Mum had a dozen ways of cooking rabbit, & I got just under 2 shillings a pound for skins.

Once you had earned enough from those rabbit skins for a 22 there were plenty of Quail in the corn fields too. Yep, no reason to go hungry out in the sticks.

Dad told me I'd need a bursary if I wanted to go on to 4Th year, so I won one. It mustn't have been too hard, 4 of the 16 who went on had one.

Then dad got a better job in Young, & a war service very low interest loan to build a house. It got a bit easier after that. My only problem was the horse someone had given me. I had to ride him across the 135 miles. Mum didn't like it too much & only agreed when someone loaned me a saddle. Dad had been in the light horse, & reckoned any 13 year old could do it, & shouldn't need a saddle.

I had to make it to Cowra the first day, where travelers could still use a yard at the showgrounds for your horse & doss down in a stable.

Yes it could be tough but it was also exhilarating, & taught self reliance. For me it taught me I could have anything I wanted if I wanted it enough to go grab it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 25 May 2014 10:20:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy