The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Public schools deserve support now more than ever > Comments

Public schools deserve support now more than ever : Comments

By Michael Kirby, published 22/5/2014

Public education remains one of our greatest achievements, so I would like to outline my 10 commandments for its supporters in 2014.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I have trouble discerning the virtues of public education that his honour extols.
“A place that did not depend on parental wealth…” Fair enough, but vouchers can accommodate that.

“…and the differences that can bring” If govt funded vouchers can pay for a reasonable education that can offer the student life and vocational skills, then is that not enough? If wealthy parents can afford exceptional education for their children why is it somehow a wrong that the kids from the other side of the tracks don’t also get that? To follow that petty, spiteful argument, is it also a wrong that the poor folks can’t afford to live in the mansions of Toorak and Vaucluse or enjoy regular overseas holidays, or drive flash cars?

“…the aspirations of public education were togetherness,” Don’t private school kids also get together for sport and social events, or is it the govt, who should dictate whom children mix with?

”… helping one another [and] imbibing the principles of the ''fair go''” Yes, but vouchers can do that.

“…and aiming for excellence”, Private schools don’t do that?

“but never forgetting the communitarian values of a place when the mind and heart were still fresh and open” Err…yeah, whatever that means.

“Public education remains one of our greatest achievements” really? Then why the need for the Gonski review last year?
Posted by Edward Carson, Saturday, 24 May 2014 7:13:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Public schools are getting more than enough support, it's the public school teachers who syphon off an immoral share of that funding.
I wouldn't mind public school teachers getting a fair amount in salary but they don't, they get way too much for what they give in return.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 24 May 2014 7:34:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy