The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Smokers' rights and the bigger threats to our civil liberties > Comments

Smokers' rights and the bigger threats to our civil liberties : Comments

By Rachel Connor, published 21/5/2014

Do smokers even have rights if they choose to do something harmful to themselves, or if they harm others with secondhand smoke?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The smoker who thoughtlessly fouls the very air others, including small children or babies are supposed to breathe, is offensive or anti social!
I have no smoking signs all over the place, and my smoking friends usually have the courtesy to step outside, to suck on another coffin nail.
One, a friend of a friend, had no such consideration, and blew her smoke in the face of one of my kids, who incidentally has asthma!
When my kid coughed and remarked the smoke was blowing right in her face, the smoker replied, shift your face!
None of the smoking population that I have seen, show any consideration for others, light up wherever they can, and dispose of their buts, in the most cavalier fashion!
Which all too often results in fires and possible loss of property, or even lives!
As others have commented, it is more addictive than heroin! But much more harmful!
A heroin user, doesn't impose his or her habit on anyone else, albeit, there is much criminality inherent in obtaining this substance.
Many reject the reasons for a heroin addict supporting his or her habit, but get all glassy eyed and empathetic, when something even more addictive is included in the conversation.
Drugs can and do kill, but usually only as overdoses.
Cigarettes on the other hand, kill you and slowly and rob you of very many things, including perhaps, your own home; or worse, your health.
Yes diesel buses, pour carcinogenic particulates into the atmosphere, but not ones fueled by CNG!
And if we weren't so busy selling the shirts of our backs, we'd keep this copious product, and use it exclusively at home, to build a really strong economy, and most of our transport solutions!
CNG works nearly as well in a ceramic fuel cell as hydrogen, and like hydrogen produces mostly water vapor as the exhaust product!
If enough of us made a fuss about using expensive fully imported diesel, the authorities would be left with few other choices, but to legislate, to convert our transport options to cleaner locally available alternatives!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 21 May 2014 5:26:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Smokers taxes probably account for most of the health budget, If you are worried about smoking and its effect on the quality of the air that you breathe then I am sorry to tell you that just time spent out walking around in modest traffic can induce far more physical problems than smoking ! Believe it or not traffic causes lung cancer ! The problem with today's society is that we are scared to live and scared to die, there are carcinogens in almost everything you eat drink, put on your body like hair colors, dyes in clothing materials,fluoride in your tap water,high electricity poles that surround your house,alcohol,herbicides and chemicals that are sprayed onto crops,they even came out with a statistic that states four million Australian workers will die of cancer because of work related issues ! So what are you to do ? Live life and be easy on yourself because you will not escape death no matter what you do ! Start living or spend your life forever worried about your own mortality,stop reading about the negative and think about the positive before you end up couched on a psychiatrists chair unwilling and unable to face life ! Smokes who gives damn !
Posted by trapdiocan, Wednesday, 21 May 2014 9:40:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leo Lane

I've always scratched my head about this sort of thing too.

I don't mean to refute all the research, or spruik for the tobacco industry, and I fully agree that life is generally better now that we don't have to put up with cigarette smoke fouling our lungs and public places, and stinkifying our hair and clothes every time we have a night out.

But how DO we explain these people who live well into their eighties, having smoked all their lives, yet don't succumb to smoking-related diseases - or if they do, it's at an age where they are going to succumb to SOMEthing anyway. Three out of my four grandparents fit this category, as well as several uncles and aunts, plus my mother, plus a few friends and acquaintances - who all grew up in smoking-friendlier times.

One of my closest friends - a smoker - was operated on twice back in the 80s for brain aneurysms. She was told that it was caused by smoking (not the fact that her father and grandmother had both suffered the same condition). She was ordered in no uncertain terms to stop smoking - one neurosurgeon threatening not to treat her if she failed to give up. Though she has tried many times to stop, she has more or less continued to smoke ever since - and, now aged 60, has remained aneurysm-free.

We all know people who fit this profile. Why does it never get factored into the smoker rights debate?

(Disclaimer: I'm a non-smoker.)
Posted by Killarney, Thursday, 22 May 2014 6:10:49 AM
yes/kilar..the darn facts/that get in the way of a very proffitable tax..that bit of clever stuff done..in the 60.s..paidoff hansomly..in tax take.

a few might have noticed/the same 'science imposed guilt/they tried on globaly/taxing ac weigfhtless gas[by the ton]..[carbon/the basis of all life..officially..'mandated'..as a poisen..by some clean air govt dept..[its sickening]

and to explain..smoking weed..acts phisiologicly/thus smoke...toobacco..;narrows the arteries/increasing blood presure/but also thickening..the walls of veins aretieries/thus preventing blow up

smoke canabinols..and the veins areries expand[and your eyes get red]
thats about all/physiologicly..that happens with..smoking..[that 'rush'..people note].

anyhow i look at the cancer stats/and they are the same regardless/of it we smoke or not[ie smoking isnt a factor]..plus..the attempts/at laying it at the feet/of inhaling second-hand-smoke..is nullified/exposed..as fraud..by the same ratios/ie smoking/not a factor.

further..this thing about working in smokefilled rooms[employ only smokers/and sit smokers near the inlet[that draws/smoke outwards/but have clean air vents smokefree[smokedrifts]..regarding the oft heard/ciggie butt issue/half a fag=50 cents..quarter a fag=25 cents[simply put a true price/on giggie butts/and we will collect/them..and trade them in for smoke.

there are ways to be nice/but people chose to hate us
like we know we smell[when we all stank/no one got uppity/about it/but now we know to stay/downwind..[i gave up smoking and got astmatac/plus the world really stinks/like perfume\and that sex attractant/minks..should be banned from lifts.

i dont hear of the adverse affects from breathing in booze fumes[a known carcinogene]..but/its the huge lies[like smokers/mainly are thin[not obese diabetics/with margereene/in our veins.

and we know frostbite/not smoking/self deleted..then toes
but the 800 million/we smokers cost..not 32 billion..thats the biggest lie[thats how much we payin govt taxes]..when we only cost 800/million..[but its easy money/next years/the auto-indexed/price increases by 3 billion..[an extyra 3000 all smokers must come-up/with/not even mentioned..in the media

but why bother/trying to correct the lies..we will outlive..you
and we unlike you nonsmokers..we smokers paid our way..unlike you leeches guilting/us..cause our tax dont stink/yet we do/screw/the damm lot of you.

go tax abortionist's/or bankers.,,.make the rich/pay-their..own way.
get/your tax fix..from drunks or diabetics..[soon you have 2million diabetics]..just 6 more years/P/they will finally be taxing drunks and sweeties...cause the diabetics..sent us broke.
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 22 May 2014 7:46:34 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
its all been said so many times
but the needy..love being better..[more holy/..than..stinking smokers]

even by those most offended..we are least deffended/
but here we got the balance..here..that was lost..here

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=16263&page=0

there are no bigger threats/to humanities liberties
that you telling me what i can put into my body

screw/the lot of you/its time you worried
about what your allowing to be put..into your minds..;.you hate/me..ask why[by what right has govt declared war..on me and my people.

by what right punitive over taxation
based upon spin and collused lies.

nanny statist revenue raising law..by what right?.[que warrento?]
where is govt nanny moralisation tax allowed in the con?..federal/con..or satate con..

none autherise..sin taxation without representation.
how low will you go?

it has its karma/most likely diabetus.
as you feed..your..mouths lost\/love addictions...[afflictions]

*you lot are sensory deprived.
and terrified..of a lie.
Posted by one under god, Thursday, 22 May 2014 8:02:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for your observations, Killarney. I always regarded smoking as a filthy habit, which must be harmful to the participant.

When it was suggested to me some years ago that, for some people, there could be some benefits, I rejected the idea.

Having observed, over the years, what actually happens, I find it hard to rationalize the situation.
Posted by Leo Lane, Thursday, 22 May 2014 1:15:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy