The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Top Gear in the soup: Clarkson, nursery rhymes and political correctness > Comments

Top Gear in the soup: Clarkson, nursery rhymes and political correctness : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 7/5/2014

The new edition of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, released at the end of 2010, was excised of any reference to 'nigger', suggesting that sanitising history is one way of not telling it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I will have to admit that I have never watched Top Gear. I acknowledge that others really like this program and have no problem with that, but to me rev-heads are among the least interesting sport personalities and their events hold no interest. So I didn't know that Clarkson had said something to get himself in the soup. I didn't even know there was a controversy.
But, the reference to a re-written Huckleberry Finn caught my attention. To change a literary classic to meet today's literary restrictions is vandalism, pure and simple. It is also profoundly dishonest. What else? I fear for James Ellroy's LA Confidential, which I have just re-read and consider one of America's best in the police/crime genre. Is there any hope for Dashiell Hammett's work?
What sad tossers these historical denialists are. "Get a Life" gets a new life here.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 8:54:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Halduell,
Gee I hope the race baiters don't go waaay back and pick up any of Clarkson's books then!
Or watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19fcN3VaXs4
Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xJzAYYrX8
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 11:00:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So much outrage over the use of the "n" word, but our Mad as Hell can use the equally offensive "r" word and we don't bat an eyelid. Complaints to the ABC are shrugged off and we are told it is only a bit of light humour - maybe we shouldn't take ourselves so seriously? So does this mean the race lobby is stronger than the disability one or does it mean there is an underlying difference between the British and Australian cultures?
Posted by estelles, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 11:09:14 AM
Yep, and I can remember a *minority* (in ever sense of the word) comedian on/at one of the televised festivals using the line: "what do I have to do to be accepted as an Ozzie, glass someone?"

Now just imagine if similar was said about one of the protected minorities!
Posted by SPQR, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 11:22:08 AM
Mark Twain's novel was written to reflect the way people spoke at a particular time and place.

Changing it is more "offensive" than any word within it, and is utterly ridiculous considering the tone of the book is anti-racist: the boy befriends a Black slave!

I bet the people editing White authors won't be editing the numerous Black American rappers who use the word in every "song".
No, that's free speech.
Posted by Shockadelic, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 11:58:30 AM
Well said ,Binoy; and timely. Its nicely complimentary to L. Maher on 18C yesterday.
Posted by Leslie, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 12:10:25 PM
Leslie - Are you ever capable of writing more then one liners? You are a very boring person I think. So at least put your opinions and views clearly, so we can all see it please ? Otherwise don't send one liners.
Posted by misanthrope, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 3:53:01 PM
SPQR,
Was that Nazeem Hussein by any chance? I've seen his act live and it revolves around the immigrant spiv getting one up on the lumpen White "Aussie".
Ah yes the "new" comedy,Hannah Gadsby, Josh Thomas, Nazeem Hussein etc, I dunno, you'd think that the minimum standard for a "comedian" would be that they at least be....well.. FUNNY.
Did you see Tom Gleeson's opening monologue in the Great Debate the other night? That was "tolerance" humour done well.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 7 May 2014 4:13:14 PM
Hi Jay,

No. I believe the comedian in question identified himself as of Korean extraction (so unlikely to be the ones you refer to).

And on a similar theme was the SBS comedy series "Legally Brown".
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 8 May 2014 6:33:59 AM
More professional do-gooders attempting to sanitize the world to make it child proof, rather than world-proofing their children. Pathetic. I suppose that means that no "white boy" can sing a song written by an African American rapper. Hey dawg! But that wouldn't be racism, would it [cynic]?
Posted by Dick Dastardly, Thursday, 8 May 2014 12:17:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy