The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Love or livelihood: a cruel dilemma for those of us with extreme disabilities > Comments

Love or livelihood: a cruel dilemma for those of us with extreme disabilities : Comments

By David Heckendorf, published 6/5/2014

In spite of all the obstacles, if I had it all to do again, I would still marry Jenni, but it would be more economical, to reject the marriage and employment options as a cruel joke.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
What utter rubbish Justice for Disabled, you are only interested in yourself, & it shows.

The little athletics moved to a larger village with existing facilities, & more pull to get council money. It meant about 3/4 of our kids no longer had access to athletics.

Have you ever tried to raise $26,000 in a small community, particularly after having raised $17,000 for the power in the months before? No I thought not. Disabled appear to always have their hand out for taxpayer money.

Then when they realised that even then, another $40,000 would be required for a separate toilet block to fit the disabled toilet, it was too much for the soccer people. They gave up.

The whole thing was not a requirement of the pony club. We had a "long drop" bush toilet, a couple of containers for storage, & a covered area for organisation. We were involved in the work & fund raising because that is what you do in a village.

I am no longer involved, but I see the house has been painted & maintained. There is still a quarter built ramp, & the entrance is up a pile of old railway sleepers. As they don't use the thing, it is nice of the horse people to stop it from deteriorating. Someone may use it some day.

It is also a good edifice to the selfishness of the disabled, who demand everyone else spend money they don't have on things they don't need, or want, just incase some "disabled" wants to use it some time.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 12 May 2014 3:07:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Hasbeen

I actually agree with you regarding the toilets and other expensive building modifications.

The anti-discrimination legislation is very clear about setting limits on how much money has to be spent on accommodating the needs people with disabilities.

If we had unlimited funds, then everybody’s needs could be met. But, unfortunately, this isn’t the case. And the law provides rules around how to balance these competing policy positions.

The core notions are reasonableness and financial hardship.

Under the law no one, and no organisation, is expected to spend so much money that it puts them into financial hardship.

I am sorry that your experience of people with disabilities was such a negative one.

I am aware that hardships are not confined to people with disabilities.

If people with disabilities, however, do not advocate for ourselves, authorities will think that we are doing okay and nothing will change. And, there are so many injustices against people with disabilities. For instance, did you know that women with disabilities are three times as likely to experience sexually violence than the rest of the population.

It makes no sense, though, to say that because of one poor experience with a person with a disability all people with disabilities are money-grabbing laze-a-bouts.

Thanks for the conversation.
Posted by David Winston, Friday, 16 May 2014 6:08:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy