The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Roadmap for Australian republicans > Comments

Roadmap for Australian republicans : Comments

By Matt Thistlethwaite, published 2/5/2014

When Australians are questioned about their priorities, when it comes to politics the republic rates lowly. We need to make it a priority issue.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
This Article sums up the problems with the ALP.

Sweat the small insignificant unimportant issues and ignore any important Issues.

I am neither for or anti either position but as it "ain't broke " .....

So basically I couldn't give a Rats' as I suspect is the case with a vast majority of Australians.

More important issues , please , ALP or you will become irrelevant.
Posted by Aspley, Friday, 2 May 2014 11:40:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nationalism is indeed a disease, none more evident or more virulent, than the strain currently crippling Russia!
Why, it seems to be ripping out freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the freedom to have or own a countervailing view, to that of officialdom!?
The Gulags seem to be full or overflowing with dissenters, and there seems no trace of disappeared investigative journalists, or freedom of the press!?
I mean, one can be imprisoned for singing and dancing in Church!
It seems to have spread to Eastern Ukraine, where all traces of quite reasonable dissent, seem to be promptly surround by the sick, and bashed to the ground, in the most brutal manner!
Only replicated in nature, by knuckle dragging apes, answering a most primordial call to cannibalism?
And if it should spread even further, it could create another even larger even more unbeatable Afghan for the Russians, who are sure to blame their President, for any loss of Russian lives, and or treasure!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 2 May 2014 11:48:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh God, yes lets have an Australian head of state.

Perhaps we could be so lucky to get another peroxide blond in a pastel suit, like the last Governor General. At least we could say that was just a Labor Kowtow to pacify their feminists, & not our "real" head of state. Just imagine how ashamed we would have been if that had been our president.

Even worse imagine a Gillard or a Rudd, kicked up stairs by a dying Labor government, just to exercise their vindictive streak.

The most amusing thing is that it is the same ratbags who insist in keeping clapped out old buildings in the name of heritage, that want to kick out a perfectly good, proven political system & a flag full of heritage, for some ratbag ideology.

Then they want to rewrite the constitution. I can imagine the number of intended unintended consequences we would find over the next decade or three.

You would have to be one of the three blind mice to fall for this lot. Even the global warming fraud has nothing on this one.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 2 May 2014 12:26:57 PM
You are right, Hasbeen

Historically, one of the functions of the monarch has been to maintain social stability by imposing limits on excessive greed and corruption on the part of the nobles and bureaucracy. As the Emperor Tiberius put it, "I want my sheep shorn, not shaved." The monarch could do this because he or she was not beholden to the nobles and bureaucrats for his or her position. The modern royal family has no real political power, but they do have moral authority. The more the politicians are seen to be corrupt and ruling only for the 1%, the less support there will be for a republic.

Perhaps the people who want an Australian as head of state should invite a younger member of the British royal family to come here and be our king or queen. After a generation or so, the head of state would be Australian. The Norwegians did something similar in 1905.
Posted by Divergence, Friday, 2 May 2014 1:02:24 PM
It must be a huge comfort Hasbeen, to know you're always right!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 2 May 2014 3:47:57 PM
I agree with Aspley.

Here we have a Labor poly, in a very safe Labor seat, talking crap as though it is important.

Didn't someone note that we have 100,000 homeless and 600,000 unemployed, not to mention the enormous debt that Labor left us with because of stupid schemes and poor management. I know of a few other problems that our wondrous multicultural society has bestowed on us, like FGM, underage marriages, forced marriages, polygamy and fighting and anti social behaviour of some ethnic groups.

At a time when it appears that everyone will have to tighten belts for quite a while, this clown wants us to waste money, and lots of it, on a change to a republic,

No wonder Labor is in opposition. They need some polys with common sense.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 2 May 2014 4:00:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy