The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Free speech, bigotry, from a Chinese Australian perspective > Comments

Free speech, bigotry, from a Chinese Australian perspective : Comments

By Chek Ling, published 30/4/2014

Twelve years later, in 1996, the apparent endorsement of Pauline Hanson’s tirade against Asian Australians by John Howard put paid to my rosy outlook that multiculturalism had blossomed on the terrain of our racist past.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Chek LING you came here at our invitation & expense, to study as a Colombo Plan student.

From memory that was a plan sponsored by the commonwealth to facilitate the education of many from the third world. I do remember the idea was for graduates to return to their country of origin, to help grow their economies, & improve living standards for those people.

Please advise how it came to pass, that you stayed here to benefit yourself, rather than return, with your free education, to your own country.

I'm afraid I have no interest in the opinion of someone so selfish, who does not honor their commitments.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 30 April 2014 5:36:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a load of hypocrisy. The Chinese are probably the most racist country on Earth, and they could teach the Nazis a thing or two about racism.

The Chinese are so racist that even though they believe in Evolution, they refuse to believe that the Chinese could be descended from Africans. All Chinese schools teach that the Chinese are a special race which evolved in China. The Chinese are historically so racist that they would only accept male African slaves who had been castrated. So paranoid are they of preserving the purity of their race that the it illegal for a Chinese female in China to have sexual relations with a black man.

Chinese racism and hostility towards Australians was displayed in the Chinese book "The Year The Dragon Came" in which the Chinese author recounted tales for his Chinese readers of stories from Chinese who had settled in Australia. Page two of the book has Australians referred to as "dogs" by the immigrants and their opinions did not improve after that. Australians are routinely referred to by Chinese immigrants as "devils" (guizi) or "foreign devils" (yang guizi) .

The racism of Chinese is easy to see in the fact that Chinese, unlike any other ethnicity, almost exclusively live within Chinese ghettoes. There are Chinatowns in every capitol city you care to name. The Chinese most definitely only want to live among themselves, and then this author pretends that it is totally wrong for Australians to want the same thing in their own country.

What is more, this author has the unmitigated gall to write his article in terms of outraged moral indignation, as if the only racists in this world are white people who discriminate against the oh, so ferking morally pure Chinese.

Bullshitt.

Freedom of speech is something that Australia has but China does not. If you Chinese prefer to live in a country which does not have, or even value, freedom of speech, could you please go back to where you don't have to live with us Guizi dogs, and you can censor yourselves forever.
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 30 April 2014 6:20:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Chek Ling "So given my observations, I cannot help but feel that it would be wise to safeguard our maturing society against a return of the days when a powerful few could readily incite the ordinary many, to revel in their intimidation of those people they took a dislike to. The Exposure Draft, regrettably, has the potential to embolden bigots and cultural warriors to do just that."

You are right to be concerned Chek Ling, and I have no problems with you bringing up Australia's racist past, unlike some other posters here.

I well remember the days of my own childhood, when anyone considered 'different' to the 'white majority' Australian was given a hard time both in schools and out on the streets.
I am not proud of those days, but I realise that the majority of Australians these days (well, the younger ones at least) are far more willing to take everyone on their individual merits rather than the colour of their skin, or their country of origin.

Please don't judge all Australians on the ignorant comments made by some posters before me.
I wish you the very best for the hopefully more tolerant future in Australia.

Cheers,
Suse.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 1 May 2014 12:30:50 AM
I have spent the bulk of my life in a society where europeans are the minority & we have quite a chinese component. They're a decent people. It's the majority of mixed race & pseudo indigenous who represent racism.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 1 May 2014 11:40:13 AM
O sung wu. Giving you the benefit of doubt, I take it that your contribution was an attempt at satire. If not , I challenge you to debate 18C and its restrictions on free speech.
Posted by Leslie, Thursday, 1 May 2014 1:09:54 PM
Fire away LESLIE !
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 1 May 2014 2:32:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy