The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Asians are already here > Comments

The Asians are already here : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 29/4/2014

If I start talking about how Asians are everywhere and driving up real estate prices, my Korean-born wife who owns our house just looks at me.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Another White man married to an Asian woman. The poor Asian male left to feel completely emasculated.

Oh well. Thats just the way it is.
Posted by Savvas Tzionis, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 9:24:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My problem with the Asianisation of Australia is that the Chinese are demanding that the businesses they buy here, are manned by imported Chinese labour.
Our worthy leaders are of course quite keen on this if it brings in a quick buck and dam the consequences.
Posted by Robert LePage, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 10:17:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The cost of housing is not due to the 7% Asian owners, but rather, a supply and demand issue, which many govts have arguably, quite deliberately created? Given that swells the coffers with stamp duty, fees and charges and GST money.
They are a bit like the slowly going bankrupt business owner, driving his customers to the competition, with too high margins. When what was needed, was much more volume!
We need to jettison negative gearing, and perhaps whack a much bigger capital gains tax on investment housing or principle residences, not held for at least ten yeas.
It just not Asian investors, massively moderating our housing market with their investment money, but Yanks, Canuks and Brits as well, and in far larger proportions?
Maybe if we took a leaf out of other books and only allowed foreigners to lease homes or condominiums for up to a maximum thirty years, we'd get a lot of this stuff coming back on the market, as this group want to be tax avoiding income earning landlords, not tenants!
And there's nothing to prevent this group from applying for permanent residency as genuine economic migrants, given they arrive with sufficient investment funds to fully support themselves!
In which case they as new taxpaying residents, can buy anything they can still afford!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 12:29:46 PM
Bloke who admit chatting with blonde young enough to be daughter deserves severe tongue rashing from wife.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 3:26:16 PM
'I asked one of the few blondes there, who happened to be one of my daughter's friends, whether she ever felt discriminated against.'

Interesting and pertinent question. What was the reply?
Posted by Cody, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 4:08:44 PM
Mark Lawson here

Cody and plantagenet
In fact my wife was right beside me - or at least not far away - when I asked.. my recollection is that the person in question said she didn't feel discriminated against.. I was merely undertaking research..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 4:53:47 PM
Oh Mark

Glad you survived mate.

Regards

Strop
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 5:16:45 PM
Bearing in mind that you could take the entire population of Australia to China and rapidly lose them in the crowd, it's clear that Asians -- including Indians -- are going to play an ever-increasing role in this country, and every other country around the world. If we treat them politely and with tolerance, we can hope to expect the same in return. If we don't, then we deserve all we get.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 6:59:05 PM
The Asians are not yet here in large numbers, but the author notes from personal experience that USNW and the selective high school is full of Asian descent. The inevitable result they are going to displace traditional Australians from the professional and managerial classes. The Chinese in particular have done that already in many Asian countries, read "World on Fire' by Amy Chua. For a statistical analysis of the composition of students by birthplace in the fields of studies in the Australian universities. read "the Howard Legacy", which demonstrates that Asian descent is high in the lucrative and prestige fields of study.
Indeed in UNSW they are the majority.
The simple explanation is that we have a selective immgration policy which favours immigrants with high cognitive ability, which is passed on to their children.
Posted by Outrider, Tuesday, 29 April 2014 9:43:25 PM
We shouldn't worry about Asians, they're fine people. We should greatly worry though about homegrown morons who are a severe burden in every which way.
They're the anchor holding this country back.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 30 April 2014 6:41:33 AM
What does the physical location of your wife have anything to do with either the question you asked or the response, or are you suggesting the response may have been different if your Korean wife had not been within hearing? Either way, your research seems a trifle eclectic, when you pose a question and then have a 'recollection' of a reply . . .
Posted by Cody, Thursday, 1 May 2014 3:00:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy