The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The conundrums in using Down syndrome screening tests for gender selection > Comments

The conundrums in using Down syndrome screening tests for gender selection : Comments

By Linda Atkins, published 20/11/2013

Gender selection, in my experience, is pretty much exclusively carried out in favour of male children. The family involved will have daughters, and no doubt care for them, but strongly desire a son.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Susanonline, there is no right to choose to discriminate against another because of their ability. Your statements reflect your own bias. People with Down syndrome have dignity by being human, just as you and I do. You may be conformable with judging and labelling fellow humans as being of less worth than yourself. The rest of us promote equal rights for all.
Posted by Mike Sullivan, Friday, 22 November 2013 12:37:17 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You don't promote rights for all, Mike Sullivan, just for yourself.
If you did, you would promote women's rights to choose what happens to their own bodies, and not advocate forcing women to go through with pregnancies they don't want.
So don't judge me.
Have a look at yourself first.
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 22 November 2013 1:00:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a refuge of desperation you have to resort to Susieonline to try and claim that there is only one body involved in an abortion. It is irrefutable that two or more distinctly different human beings - different DNA and half the time different sex - are present during every pregnancy. Certainly the lives in the womb are completely dependent on the mother but they are not thereby part of the mother. That is just poor logic and poorer biology.
Posted by JP, Friday, 22 November 2013 1:10:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There ARE two bodies when you are pregnant. The mothers and the baby. It is a cop for people to say its a fetus.. I have a friend who had an abortion yrs ago because hubby didnt want anymore kids and it ended their marriage as she did not want to do it.
My son, Mikes child and anyone else with DS, CP CF or any other dissability or as I like to say are differently abled deserve life. I know over 700 families just in Australia and none of them regret their child or adult with DS. I have met many parents online now from overseas and they too do not regret their child with DS. My son does not regret his brother. Im just sad my mums no longer here to enjoy him..
My two boys are my life. I love them both to bits, both equally as thats how it should be. My son with DS is not valued less than his brother. They are loved the same, my son with DS is no trouble, if anything my son without DS is the one giving me grey hairs... Lol...
Posted by Mumto2boys, Friday, 22 November 2013 3:44:34 PM
Dear, dear, here we have the usual dead end arguments based on individual human rights. It is time we saw that this will not do, that we need other resources other than the mere assertion of rights to make some way with these issues. If we do no all we get is a childish discussion about whose rights trump whose rights and that can go on forever.

What is the status of the foetus? It is not a cancer derived from the body of the women, it is not a part of the woman. It is tissue that can only be another human being.
Posted by Sells, Friday, 22 November 2013 3:48:10 PM
You guys all need to drag yourselves out of the '50s and realise that abortion is legal in our country for a reason......no one has the right to FORCE a woman to go through with a pregnancy or to have an abortion. It is her body.

The solution is simple really.
Anyone who doesn't want an abortion doesn't have to have one.

But you need to butt out of anyone else's decision...especially where there is a probable disability with the baby.
it is no one else's decision but the parents and their doctor.
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 22 November 2013 4:35:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy