The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hockey is tanking the budget > Comments

Hockey is tanking the budget : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 1/11/2013

Treasurer Hockey’s ill-advised decision will cost you, the taxpayer, around $1 million a day just in interest payments alone.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
say what you like, something needs to be done about budgetary spending in western countries, and I feel the Coalition will do a better job in long term for Australia.

I am consistent on this.

Whether the Coalition is up to task, to make reform fair rather than advantage rich, remains to be seen.

Labor had its chance to show its economic credibility to deal with future problems ahead, but failed.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 3 November 2013 9:19:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
as I said, it is a bit rich for Leigh, a propagandist for Labor, to accuse Hockey of not caring about Australia's budget direction.

Again, for someone who writes about the need for evidence, where is his to show why Hockey has no idea?

Last time I though about it, which was yesterday as I continue to write a piece about when Aust should address its budget situation, I concluded there was strengths and weaknesses of both sides of the debate (common sense).

Leigh's poor opinion piece, again, does not reflect any uncertainty about addressing difficulties ahead, as reflected by his arrogant assertions.

Come on Andrew, do you really think economics is easy; perhaps you can us why.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 3 November 2013 9:30:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Evidence that's a good topic.
Propaganda is another one.
I'm still waiting for Hokey to show us the evidence of the "budget emergency".
Or was "budget emergency" just propaganda?
Hokey does care about the direction of the economy, the direction his corporate masters want
Posted by Phil R, Sunday, 3 November 2013 12:32:19 PM
Chris,

It's interesting that you obviously expect the Coalition to do the right thing by democracy.

I have my doubts.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/silence-echoes-across-canberra-as-the-coalition-clams-up-20131102-2wt5k.html

"Since winning office, Abbott has fronted the nation's media just eight times. Calls to his office, and to his ministers, frequently go unanswered or unreturned.

During the week, Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop was a star speaker at the Australian Council for International Development conference in Canberra. The two-day event was open to the public, including the media - except for Bishop's speech. It's understood the media was barred at the request of the minister, who is tasked with enforcing the government's $4.5 billion cut to foreign aid over the next four years.

Announcing the government would respond to Australia's ballooning credit card bill by almost doubling the borrowing limit to half a trillion dollars, Treasurer Joe Hockey held a 10-minute press conference and took few questions."

Excuse me if I detect a whiff of fascism.

Shadow Minister,

No retraction?

Okay.....
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 3 November 2013 1:14:31 PM
well if the coalition does not do it, in line with some tempering from public debate, we are doomed.

If Labor, given its recent record, was the best we could have, heaven help us.

Australia needs reform; key how to do it in fairest way.

I am not fussed who does it; Labor and Coalition sides of politics have their various strengths and weaknesses. I just want some govt to start the ball rolling.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 3 November 2013 1:57:14 PM
Chris, and others here who are going down the 'Labor blew it and now I'm so confident that the Coalition will save the day' path.

The fact that you keep buying into the blindingly false premise that the current levels of government debt are due simply to government spending has completely destroyed your own credibility. If anything, it shows just how hopelessly out of touch the Coalition's supporters are with the push-pull realities of national and international finance.

I don't know why people like Poirot even bother to reason with you.

Under one god

'Violent revolutions are always tragic.'

Add to that 'avoidable but inevitable'.
Posted by Killarney, Sunday, 3 November 2013 7:09:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy