The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Assessing Australia's humanitarian assistance and development aid program 2007-2013 > Comments

Assessing Australia's humanitarian assistance and development aid program 2007-2013 : Comments

By Tim Costello, published 1/11/2013

The series of backward steps by both Labor and the Coalition sends a very negative message to the global community.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I have always been an advocate of the long-time UN recommendation that developed countries commit at least 0.7% of their GNI to overseas aid programs.

But it has got to be the right sort of aid. And therein lies the big problem. There is apparently NOTHING in our entire aid regime that is oriented towards reducing birthrates, stabilising populations and engendering regimes of sustainability in recipient countries.

But then, how could we do this, given that we don’t do anything of the sort ourselves?

We can expect our aid budget to continue to decline as a percentage of GNI. One of the main reasons is that we are burdened with rapid population growth and hence an ever-rapidly-increasing demand for infrastructure and services, and for our national income to be spent on them, and on all the other negatives things that this continuous rapid growth has caused and will cause in the future.

Another reason is that our aid, while apparently being fairly effective in achieving its goals, is not being effective overall… because the goals are basically wrong, and will remain so for as long as they are not closely linked to achieving a sustainable future.

So, we will understandably become jaded with the lack of real overall improvements in many recipient countries, and we will understandably have a lot of pressure to spend more of our money at home on things that desperately need it.

In short: for as long as we don’t address sustainability ourselves, and don’t orient our aid programs strongly towards sustainability, our international aid budget is bound to keep declining.
Posted by Ludwig, Friday, 1 November 2013 8:31:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tim you're not listening.

The public are screaming at you, we don't give a damn what the rest of the world thinks about us, if it ever does. What we do care about is people on over $200,000 PA personal income, from an aid organisation, lecturing us that we don't give enough.

When you can show you have donated all of your earnings above average, come back & talk to us about us giving more aid to overseas recipients.

Till then our ears are shut.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 1 November 2013 4:19:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tim,

Have you heard about phantom aid?
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/phantom-aid-never-leaves-our-shores/2007/05/27/1180205079584.html

I saw and heard former PM Howard say Australia was giving $800 million to Solomon Islands but in that country no new development by Australia can be seen.

Yesterday a friend called from Honiara and said he was dying. He has Diabetes II. The hospital apparently cannot afford the medicine.
Recently another friend was in Munda hospital and his infection was getting worse, apparently due to lack of money for correct antibiotics. I was there.

SI people have always lacked cash but previously they had abundant free seafood but that is no longer so available. Protein deficiency malnutrition now seems common. There has been a 69% increase in maternal mortality, linked to anaemia. NCD is overflowing hospitals.

On the Australian side of the Coral Sea there have been seven dead whales on Fraser Island coast in a recent 2 year period, more elsewhere and there is evidence of whale starvation.
Unprecedented (low population) mass starvation of mutton birds is occurring.
It’s not just malnourished islanders out there.

Devastation of SW Pacific seafood has occurred since modern world population explosion.
Independent evidence of substance indicates sewage nutrient pollution is feeding algae. Algae is killing seagrass food web nurseries. The problem not overfishing as media claims without scientific evidence.

The problem is not CO2.
AGW – IPCC science has not even measured and assessed photosynthesis-linked warmth in ocean micro and macro algae plant matter.

As for some solutions, SI people need employment. So what about special MDG projects in Australia with a fly-in fly-out workforce from SI?

Could World Vision help inspire UN assistance to actually develop MDG focussed employment in partnership with Australia?

Creeks and rivers need noxious weeds taken out.
Wetland ecosystems and farmers need water.
Open ocean needs vital management.

A possibly significant project might be a northern Qld wet season water harvesting system with aqueduct running south to upper catchment of the Darling River that already runs to SA.
Barnaby Joyce has insight and has no negating science.

The Coorong needs water.
Southern Ocean animals need food from The Coorong
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 1 November 2013 7:52:25 PM
“Overall the period from 2007 to 2012 can be seen as one in which Australia made substantial progress towards realising an aid program that reflects our capacity and status as one of the world's wealthiest and most secure nations. However in the past two years a series of backward steps, culminating in the Coalition's decision to suspend growth in the aid program, has brought this progress into very serious doubt.”

Tim I agree that the latest trends in Australian government aid are bad news.
What saddens me most is that the it seems that the our governments do not realise that our national well-being depends on the well-being of our trading neighbours. The more we help them constructively the more we help ourselves.

Ludwig, I am interested in your statement:
“There is apparently NOTHING in our entire aid regime that is oriented towards reducing birthrates, stabilising populations and engendering regimes of sustainability in recipient countries.”
I would suggest that this is no more than a personal opinion.
My understanding is that “reducing birthrates, stabilising populations and engendering regimes of sustainability in recipient countries” are always direct results of development aid projects. Birthrates decline, sustainability improves as the people living at subsistence level become more secure in their futures.
There has been a definite positive trend in the fight against world poverty and that should be encouraging us to at least maintain our international aid budget.
Posted by Ron H, Friday, 1 November 2013 8:17:43 PM
Hasbeen, you declare that your ears are shut. How sad.
Your argument seems to be about shooting the messenger.
Please open your ears and eyes and start asking yourself what you can do yourself, what you can afford to do yourself, what you are willing to do yourself, based on your own circumstances to help reduce poverty.
Why don’t you let us know what you are able to do, what you are doing to help defeat poverty.
That would be constructive.

JF, you have raised a most relevant point. My understanding is that much of our government overseas aid is tied.
It is not available for addressing the real needs of the target country. Instead it is targeting Australian companies imposing Australian demands on the target country. In the case of the Solomon Islands I suggest that you look at the cost of the Australian police/military presence there to maintain Australian standards of law and order. That is where the aid money has most likely gone – back into the pockets of Australians.
Posted by Ron H, Friday, 1 November 2013 8:19:03 PM
<< My understanding is that “reducing birthrates, stabilising populations and engendering regimes of sustainability in recipient countries” are always direct results of development aid projects. >>

Really, Ron H?

Indirect, inadvertent and insignificant results at best, I would think.

While some of our international aid programs might have some small impact on reducing birthrates, that is nowhere near enough to be able to say that we are assisting them to reach sustainability.

Sustainability isn’t in the mindset of those who govern Australia, no matter which party might be in power. And it isn’t in the aid agenda:

http://aid.dfat.gov.au/aidissues/Pages/home.aspx

Quote:

The fundamental purpose of Australian aid is to help people overcome poverty. Australian aid is guided by five development priorities, as set out in An Effective Aid Program for Australia: Making a real difference – delivering real results.

The development priorities of the Australian aid are:
• health
• education
• economic development
• governance, and
• humanitarian.

End quote.

There is a series of ‘Building a sustainable future’ ‘factsheets’.

But I would question how effectively these aspirations are in achieving a sustainable future. And I wonder how well our aid programs conform to these.

It seems that DFAT is not tuned in to the need to comprehensively curtail population growth in many recipient countries and that a little bit of a reduction in the birthrate is nowhere near good enough.

It seems that they are dealing almost entirely with the supply side of the equation – better economic growth, better agriculture with improved efficiencies and the like, while letting the ever-increasing demand for food, and everything else, go practically unaddressed.
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 2 November 2013 10:42:15 AM
Spent a lot of time in the Solomons, or PNG then have you Ron H? I'm sure you know all about them, the effect of aid, & what is needed.

Perhaps you are more like our author, managing to skim a damn good living off the top of the aid money.

It would be pretty easy to open my ears, if our aid ever did anything useful. Unfortunately for the aid lobby, when my ears are shut, my eyes are wide open, & I see a huge rort, here & in the recipient countries.

Until I see something useful done with our aid, I most certainly will be deaf to the fat cats of the aid/welfare industry.

Just like JF Aus, I saw our aid wasted on new edifices like a pretentious parliament house, while villagers died of a scratch that became infected. The aid industry should hang it's head in shame, having done so little with so much for so long.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 2 November 2013 11:31:06 AM
Australia’s humanitarian assistance has deteriorated in the past 10 years. Neighbouring Solomon Islands provides example. Now it is almost impossible for SI people to obtain a visa to enter Australia. Applications are now processed in PNG.

Australian Immigration demands a bank statement with SI to Aus visa applications, either from the applicant or their sponsor. Even a multi-millionaire recently received a “no” from Aus Immigration, but that was quickly sorted out.

Ordinary Aus people with SI friends are not so fortunate and the A.$150 or so visa application fee is not refundable, no explanation available. There is no information or warning either, as to what the bank statement balance should be.

Just a few minutes ago I asked two backpackers from Spain what the visa application requirements were for them to arrive in Sydney yesterday.
They told they applied over the Internet in Bali with no bank statement or letter required.
They have a 12 month visa but must leave every 3 months and come back again. That sounds like a nice setup for travel agents and airlines, and for Aus GNP and GDP political propaganda.

Other backpackers from Europe say they get a 12 month tourist or working visa plus second year if they agree spending 3 months fruit picking, without any bank statement or letter.

Spain’s economy is not good but neither is the economy in neighbouring Solomon Islands where MDG achievement is actually going backwards, without genuine development aid from Aus.

Canberra has a lot to answer for, including apparent racism.
What could justify obstructing a few decent island people coming to Aus even to just visit sponsoring friends.
Why are SI to Aus visas stamped with absolutely no work allowed?
The situation is bringing shame toward Australian people and the nation.

The SW Pacific Islands were once an idyllic international attraction to our part of the world.
Aus farmers and business traded there.

Now regional tourism and trade and peace and security sustainability is collapsing unchecked.

Many SI people need a little cash to buy alternative food.
Their traditional available seafood supply is devastated
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 2 November 2013 2:24:21 PM
Tim, Tim, Tim. You know & we all know that this is all BS. If you can get the Aid increased then you'll will get a nice fat Bonus on top of your very generous Salary,Expense Account,Perks & another medal.

We all realize that very little of the money raised or sent as Aid reaches the people it's intended for. As I was once told, "You raise money to spend on raising money to raise money & everybody has a good time at those parties, but very little Aid get's through to us at all." The only time Aid get to the people is when an updated Photo Session is needed. You & you entourage turn up, having flown over 1st. Class & staying in a 5 Star Hotel in the best suite, hiring a Limo, then presenting some people in a dishevelled village with a little gift from the Generous "xxxx Aid." Usually about 10% of what it cost for you to get there.

Does this happen. Yes it does. I've got the Tee Shirt.

Tim, I realize that you may get upset with the way this is written. Please try to interperate it in a Politically Correct Mode. They didn't have Politically Correct when I went to school. We were taught to tell the plain straight truth with out the diplomatic BS that Politicians & CEO's of Aid Organizations get to spin.
Cont.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 3 November 2013 11:37:10 AM
Cont.
Tim: In absolute terms Australia's is the eighth largest aid program.

After reading all the statistics,I'm confused. Statistics are good for confusing people. Are we 23rd. or 8th.?

Australia is a huge country with a small population 23M compared to 300M in most of the developed countries you havent mentioned. We have a widely dispersed population. Australia's Infrastructure is buckling at the knees. Roads, Rail, Hospitals, Schools, Health, Security, Emergency Services are all failing. The Governments are sending 8 Billion overseas in mostly wasted Aid to Countries that "Hate our Guts." That's 8 Billion from the Government, not counting Aid from the many other Aid Organizations that doesn't really get to the people either.

Let's look at a success. Bob Geldoff & save the Children. Yes we did save a lot. Where are these children now. They are mostly running around shooting up Shopping centres, Pirating Ships at sea & killing one another in the name of their religion. Great stuff, eh. I can hear you now, "I don't want to know about that stuff, hearing about it offends me."

Why does Indonesia get upset when Australia says it might cut back on Aid. It's because they don't consider it to be Aid. It's the Yitzah Tax that the West is obligated to pay to Muslims because we are Infidels. The West pours boundless monies into thes countries just to prolong their suffering. With all the Oil Rich Muslim Countries standing by & watching on, doing nothing. Maybe providing Sharia Based Schools for the male children so they will grow up to be good little Jihadists.

Tim: "This is borne out by" down to, "The review made 39 recommendations."

I haven't a clue what the recomendations were. Mostly paper work I guess. Nothing practicle, Political Correctness & Dipolmacy. Everybody can go back to their offices & drink their Martini's Dry, & feel all warm & fuzzy.

Sorry Tim, it just doesn't cut it with me or others. Enjoy your Enhanced Salary. I bet it feels good to know you're having an effect on the poorer Nations of the World.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 3 November 2013 12:18:45 PM
JayB,

You refer to aid money from Australia going to other countries.
Do you think that money is leaving Australia or is all or a majority of it being paid to Australian consultants and Australian aid business interests?

So much money has to show up and be seen somewhere. I don't see any evidence of such money in pockets or purses of Solomon Islands government society or other SI people.

Even if there are virtual money laundering investments overseas, surely there would be indication of wealth in some way shape or form, but there is none that I can see.
Such billions are not leaving Australia in my opinion. Therein could be explanation why such AID is not effective.
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 3 November 2013 1:16:44 PM
JF Aus: Even if there are virtual money laundering investments overseas, surely there would be indication of wealth in some way shape or form, but there is none that I can see. Such billions are not leaving Australia in my opinion. Therein could be explanation why such AID is not effective.

Ya don't say. ;-) I wonder what Tim's got to say on the subject. Coff, coff, choke.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 3 November 2013 1:22:53 PM
As Chief executive of World Vision Australia, how much do you earn, Tim Costello?

Plenty of foreign trips to exotic locations? Four or five star hotels with the bill pi9cket up by the Aussie taxpayer? How much super have you got?

If Australia is cutting back on foreign aid Tim, it might be "sending a negative image of Australia" to foreigners, but it is sending a very positive message to people like me who will be lucky to earn $35,000 dollars this year.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 4 November 2013 4:12:17 AM
JayB,

Yes, I do say AID may not be sent, explaining ineffectiveness in countries in need, because you say, quote, "The Governments are sending 8 Billion overseas".

Why blame the victims of poverty overseas?

The AID is clearly failing.
Surely it should be asked and evidence examined, as to where such billions can actually be seen to be spent on AID overseas, or where it can be seen to be misappropriated overseas.
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 4 November 2013 7:21:55 AM
JF: Why blame the victims of poverty overseas?

I don't think anybody, especially me, is blaming these people. It's certainly not Australia's fault they are still poor after all the Aid that is supposedly being poured into them. Many of these countries have an elite that are super rich who do nothing for their people. Why is it up to the West to fix their problems.

Why are these people impoverished? Custom, Religion, Feudal Political Systems. Is the West tackling the problem at the wrong end? If so, can the West really do anything about it? Do the people really want to change their lifestyle? Just because Westerners, who live in a sterile world, don't like the mud huts & dirt floors, Do we have a right to interfere?

Why haven't we heard from Tim Costello?
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 4 November 2013 9:02:17 AM
JayB,

You sound like a sensible and decent person.

The key word you mention there is “supposedly”.
Now, I cannot speak for Ausaid recipients other than Solomon Islands.

SI may have an elite class but many in my opinion are not super rich or even rich.
And those people do as best they can for their people.

The obvious problem in SI is lack of cash amongst the people and in the economy generally.
If Australian public donations reached the people things would be different.
If the Howard govt announced $800 million reached SI the whole country would be out of trouble.

Former SI – PM and economist and then Treasurer Bart Ulufa’alu, told me the fish devastation had gone unnoticed in SI and that now the SI economy needs to be monetized.
Until about 20 years ago, SI had fish that was used for trade, including shell money traded into PNG.

Yes the West is tackling the problem in the wrong way, even in Western countries. It appears cash (and AID cash) is being kept in short supply, so as to lure borrowers that generate interest.

Continued………
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 4 November 2013 1:16:46 PM
Cont’d…..

The West is advocating agriculture as a solution but consumers in SI have no cash to buy agricultural produce. Fertilizer and even chicken feed has to be imported.
Cost of end product is un-affordable by the majority of consumers in general.
The whole nation is being dragged down.
In my opinion SI is not the only nation with the money shortage problem.

Yes I think there are solutions but I find local Aus politicians unavailable to hear about the situation, the system of government is broken down.

Yes we all want our lifestyle changed by improvement.
We don’t want worry over shortage of money for healthy food, for heating and cooking etc.
We want cash to pay for our Aust children’s breakfast before they go to school, and for school lunch, in SI and elsewhere too.

We in Aus do have good government generally that has been developed by good public service people. But there are failings, such as with real AID.

So far the MDG program has virtually been all talk and no real action.
Those of us who are honest and decent have a right and a duty to interfere in phantom aid.

Will we ever hear from Mr Costello? He does not need donations to call on PM Abbott to call on the UN for a real life MDG progress hearing toward action and relevant solutions.
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 4 November 2013 1:18:52 PM
JF: I cannot speak for Ausaid recipients other than Solomon Islands.

I can't speak for SI, having never been there. My sister worked for an Accountant for a year & told me that the people were the laziest ar$#0(3s she had ever seen. The same thing was said by some diggers I know who went there to help. They went all over the SI's & said none of them wouldn't get off their ar$3s if they could get a hand out for free.

From my own experience in Malaysia. I can only concur. As the old saying goes, "Give a man some money & he'll be drunk for a week. Teach him to help himself & he'll feed himself & his family forever." A bit of license there. Sorry. After Darwin I have never given to Charity. Half the money disappeared & the Lawyers & Accountants got the rest looking for the first half. If you noticed the same sort of thing happens with the Flood & Fires in Australia.

BIG RULE. Never, never, give money.

I said it before. The only Aid Australia should be giving is Emergency Aid. Even then the Tent's, Generators & Water Plants, etc., should be returned when they are no longer needed. The Church Groups& other Volunteer Groups can provide other Aid if they feel the need, but they should be strictly monitored. I have a scrap of paper here somewhere with a list of all the Australian Charities & the Percentages of Donated money that is taken up by Administration.
I believe, "World Vision," Tim's Charity, is one of the worst for Administration Costs.

Tim. "Please explain."
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 4 November 2013 2:25:52 PM
Jayb,

Laziness can be connected with not being paid for services provided especially when Western people are seen being paid say 20 times more. e.g
The general wage for local SI people is A.$1.70 per hour while Australian accountancy employees there might be getting A.$25 plus per hour.

In contrast I see local SI people carrying 6 metre lengths of 150 x 50 hardwood for nearly a mile out of the bush to coastal canoes that get home after dark and unloaded in rain or wind.
I see the people walk or paddle for hours to get to their garden and then again to return, some stay out because of distance, then carry huge loads of potatoes or coconuts back home.
I see women sitting and bending for hours scrubbing the washing just about every second day.
I see men drive canoes for 6 hours one way and 6 back in whatever weather they encounter.
I see SI people spending time with their kids while our people use money for after school care.

Alcohol affects and destroys many people, worldwide. However Western people brought it to the region so surely they should help a little with the impact and consequences. From considerable experience in the Aus outback I can assure you alcohol is the fundamental problem with Aboriginals.

SI people and I also are not asking for a hand out for free. Notice I have asked Mr Costello to use his phone or keyboard to speak with PM Abbott or whoever.
In school I was taught money is like marbles, you have to have some marbles to play with and trade/swap.
SI and many other people worldwide are missing enough money system marbles, know what I mean.

Tim will not come forward into online debate about missing aid but he surely must come forward to PM Abbott. OLO has my email, as does Mr Abbott.

PM Abbott has reduced aid dollars but would he also reduce real aid assistance? Say to consider relevant circumstances and opportunities and to then put a proposal to the UN?

Why not?
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 4 November 2013 5:24:00 PM
SF: The general wage for local SI people is A.$1.70 per hour while Australian accountancy employees there might be getting A.$25 plus per hour.

That's right. The difference is the economic standard. SI can live on $A1.70/hr in SI, so can Australians if they ate & lived in local conditions. It's the same everywhere where Australia gives Aid. You cannot compare living standards. I know the Ad's say to Australians, "Imagine only being payed $A1.70 an hour." & Australians fall for the line because they only look at their own circumstance in Australia. The Ad's saying, "Imagine your house being washed away in the flood." & Australian look around at their 4 bedroom, 2 Lounges, etc. without thinking that these people live in a 1 room straw house on a sapling frame.

SF: I see local SI people carrying 6 metre lengths of 150 x 50 hardwood for nearly a mile out of the bush to coastal canoes that get home after dark and unloaded in rain or wind.

Yes & they've been doing that since about 500 AD when they first came to SI. It's THEIR normal life. You can't do a comparison with an Australian way of life.

SF: Alcohol affects and destroys many people, worldwide.

Yes, of course it does. Do you suggest that the be a prohibition put on SI for the Locals? Of course not. I don't know what the answer is there. We tried Prohibition & the PC do-gooder crowd got involved & had it stopped. Now our people are destroying themselves again. Sad isn't it.
cont.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 9:22:23 AM
cont.
Actually, I blame the Christian Missionary/Charity groups for these people's plight. They use a ploy that has been used successfully since the 12th. Century. They find a group of people that have been living healthily & happy for thousands of years & convert them to Christianity. They all die of diseases they have never encounter before. They leave their land & property to the Churches/Charities who sell it to Businesses who treat the locals like slaves. They end up with no land, no possessions & no life.

Isn't that right. Rev. Tim. No word from you yet Tim. Why is that?
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 9:22:54 AM
Sorry JF Aus, you've got that all wrong, although I'm not sure lazy is the right description. It may be a different attitude, & different requirements.

I have seen many highly productive plantations given to the villages become virtually unworkable in a very short time, as the villages would not keep the places clear, when not being paid by a "boss" to do it.

Google earth the places, & many plantations have totally disappeared into the bush. Air strips have disappeared in the same way, leaving no emergency access, once the white man left.

The people just don't see the advantage in many things we value, so don't do these things well. Although often excellent employees, they are not good managers, or entrepreneur.

We would have done them a great service if we had stayed running the places, until the people started to kick us out. Retiring gracefully, before they were ready for self government is just another stupid thing Whitlam did, causing problems for everyone in PNG, with it being a catalyst for the same mistakes in other places.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 4:13:15 PM
Hasbeen,

Let’s see if I have got it all wrong. No need for sorry, nop egg on my face because I am there 6 months of the year.
Anyway put my reply to the test.

I am not sure lazy is the word either, sensible might be more appropriate. Different attitude perhaps. But let’s see here.

What you have apparently not seen is how these islanders cannot live off income from coconuts alone, especially when their seafood supply is devastated causing unrest and coups.
At the same time world inflation was rampant and the price fell out of copra, and these clever people decide it’s not viable to keep clearing under the trees because they don’t get paid for it.
On top of that many coconut trees are becoming less productive due to old age.

About 5 years ago I saw a man who took 1 month to collect andcarry out and husk and dry 40 bags of copra that he then transported by canoe to Noro from Rendova at a cost of SBD.$350 for petrol, and he got SBD.$700 for the 40 bags.
At the time SBD.$5.00 was about A.$1.00. i.e. A.$70.00 profit for one month of paid work, while gathering food and firewood to stay alive.

Hasbeen, do you have any idea how much hard work it takes to collect and carry enough coconuts for 40 bags copra? And how heavy one bag of copra is? Like 130 kg each.

The airstrips were for developed nation world war.
Canoes can run in any weather day or night.
The bigger airstrips remain in excellent condition, Munda just resurfaced by tiny New Zealand, not Aus. Gizo a new hospital by Japan, not Aus. Nothing seen/visible there by Aus.

Continued………..
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 6:21:21 PM
cont’d………

Solomon Islanders run their own country but they are impacted by nutrient pollution and foreign fishing fleets and fish factory ships, from developed nations.

SI is not getting good advice. Aus is not advising islanders about impact of nutrient pollution-devastated ocean food web nurseries and feeding grounds, devastation that yesterday had a tractor and mechanical beach sand-sieve picking up hundreds of starved dead mutton birds off the Pacific Ocean coast of Aus. And still the situation is being gagged, suppressed, kept quiet.
Major media is deceiving Aus people with news the mutton bird mortality is natural, there is no scientific evidence whatsoever it is natural, it’s quite the opposite.
Such mass mortality is evidence of a serious crisis in ocean ecosystems that involves collapse of affordable world food sustainability. But watch spin doctored news about CO2 nonsense instead, eh.

Not many Aus people are good managers or entrepreneurs and nor can they build sea going ships with a chainsaw. Or manage rivers, bays, icon coral reefs, ocean ecosystems.

Aus does not really have self-government, our economy is dependent on the big developed nations such as the US and UK.

We left the Pacific Islands because coconut oil was replaced by synthetic oil and value/profit dropped completely out of copra. We are in SI now trying to milk wealth out alluvial gold by using cyanide. And I am pro mining, but be sensible.

I think money donated in times of crises should get to the impacted people’s bank account direct deposit via computerised fingerprint of face recognition, with online photo of loss or damage.
Not impossible at all.
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 6:22:30 PM
You highlight my point JF Aus. Before independence, the plantation your local gathered 40 bags of copra from, would have been a 30 ton a month enterprise. The local copra ship would have called once a month & transported that 30 ton to market for no more than the petrol to carry by outboard canoe cost to carry those few bags.

Perhaps Ozzie plantation owners would have moved to palm oil. I remember Kimbe when it had about 10 kilometers of road, now it has 150 Km & growing.

Don't think I am knocking the people. Their problem, I believe, is that we brought them halfway from the stone age to the 20Th century, then ran out leaving them stranded in no mans land. They would be much better off if we had stayed & finished the job but they would be no worse off now, if we & the Germans before us, had never gone there.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 6:59:39 PM
Hasbeen,

It is good to hear you are not knocking the people. Solomon Islanders are good people, really exceptional. The British Royals regard them as most gracious people. I think they are sometimes too gracious, too polite, too proud , and most dislike AID.

They still use stones for cooking and smashing bush nuts open.
The original estimated 80,000 when Europeans arrived is now about 600,000. I would say 95% do not have a paid job.

Cattle once used to clear under the trees became inbred and small and were eaten due to need during the coup.
Palm oil is underway but not almost everywhere like coconuts.

Aus does not have to be there to truly assist and finish the job as you say.
There is a major crisis out there in the ocean.
PM Abbott should attend to it but I think he is too busy with bike riding etc.

I truly thank OLO for this site and allowing our opinions in such discussion.
I would donate to OLO if I could afford it. One day I will.
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 7:46:13 PM
Still no input from the Rev. Tim I notice.

My solution. No Aid to anywhere unless it's Emergency after a disaster. Fix Australia's infrastructure first. We need Super Fast Trains to carry freight on a double track system track to Hubs between Darwin & Melbourne. A High Speed Freight Rail Line from Townsville to Dampier as planed more than 30 years ago. (Saw some of the plans.) When Australia is up to speed, then we may be able to afford to spread some Aid around "with careful planning."

I don't care what the Church Groups do. If they want to spread their 15% left over after "the 85% Administration Fees" have been deducted, that their thing. Most of that 15% goes on Bibles & building Churches, not helping the people. Oh, that's what they call, helping the people spiritually. ;-)
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 5 November 2013 8:37:20 PM
I agree JF Aus, the Solomon Island people are great people.

I also think the Poms did a much better job there than we did in PNG. In the Shortlands I had a very fat dark gentleman, in a very small canoe, paddle out to my boat & ask in a very cultured English, if I would care to have dinner with he & his wife.

He was Oxford educated, had been chief of police in Honiara for 10 years, but as British policy dictated, he had to retire after 20 years total service. Thus he took his education, knowledge & expertise back to his home village.

He did lament that the islanders would not eat fresh beef. He had taken a small herd back to the plantation he had bought, but even his workers refused it, preferring tinned bully beef.

They have lost a lot though. I once escorted a fleet of about 10 canoes from VuVu on a fishing trip to an isolated island. It had been a tradition, but they no longer build canoes big enough to act as mother ship on such trips. At least they had not gone to tinnies, as have some.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 7 November 2013 12:12:27 PM
Hasbeen, I am touched by your understanding of Solomons people and experience with them.
However things there have changed considerably.

Yes the Brits did best, Aus has done virtually nothing in SI though the High Commissioners do try.
I have not been to PNG but some Aus people have commented Aus did the wrong thing doing so much drinking there, helping the habit.

Ausaid in SI is run by a Councillor with no management power.
Truly I have been looking but have seen no new aid development from all the Howard-Rudd-Gillard Ausaid, except maybe some new police houses near the Honiara airport.

I think it very wrong the aid budget to the region has been tampered with, it should have been increased to cope with impact and consequences of developed nation impact on traditional seafood availability.

Australia is the wealthy neighbour, NZ and other do more than Aus.
The RAMSI thing happened because Aus was concerned about terrorists coming to Aus via Solomon Islands.

I think Solomon people in need could be provided with cash donations directly. Then they could buy what they need and the money would flow into the economy.
Then donors like Jayb could be inspired by seeing their money really help, even bit by bit.
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 7 November 2013 6:59:24 PM
JF: think Solomon people in need could be provided with cash donations directly. Then they could buy what they need and the money would flow into the economy. Then donors like Jayb could be inspired by seeing their money really help, even bit by bit.

Sorry, mate. Big rule. NEVER, NEVER give anyone cash as Aid.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 7 November 2013 7:23:45 PM
Jayb maybe you will change you mind when you realize you have perhaps been giving to the wrong people.
I ask you to think a different approach.

It's no good giving to me because I do not accept donations.

Coff up some of your millions Jayb!

Try giving to the actual person/family in real need.
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 7 November 2013 7:38:54 PM
I have not had time to read and digest the following, however they say a fifth of aid never leaves the donor country.
That is disgusting.
I think aid is aid and it should all leave as aid as it is stated to be.
f.y.i

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/nov/06/rich-countries-foreign-aid-oecd-poor
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 7 November 2013 7:46:52 PM
JF: however they say a fifth of aid never leaves the donor country.
That is disgusting.

No, that's a fifth of Aid is all that ever reaches the people for whom the Aid is intended.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 7 November 2013 8:42:01 PM
Jayb, I think you are a little wrong there.
No money reaches the people.

The few building materials that have reached some SI people are not enough for non-capable or old people to have their houses rebuilt.
Also local builders need food for their families while doing the building.
Far away logs have to be sawn in the bush into building timber and then carried down to canoes. Those canoes require outboard petrol to get heavy timber loads home before weather swamps and loses canoe, timber and people.

On the other hand if disaster victims themselves had even just a little bit of cash they could pay for work and materials just like we do.

Petrol in SI is double cost of in Aust. Supermarket and building material prices are more than in Aust.

While a tree log can be free for a customary landowner that has not had trees all nicked by Western loggers, cost can be prohibitive for sawn timber for islanders because of high fuel cost and fact most local people have no paid income or other source of cash money.

Because of loss of traditional seafood trading including with shellmoney, SI people at least need just a little cash to survive.

Government impacted by burden from such impacted people need economic stimulus with no interest strings attached.
For example hospital and clinics are being inundated with people suffering non communicable disease that is linked to inadequate nutrition, protein deficiency malnutrition as evidence I have indicates.

At present hospitals and clinics can not afford adequate medication to treat people in dire need.
And Mr Abbott has fiddled and/or cut AID instead of increasing it.
Before Mr Abbott became PM he would not even respond to my two requests for an urgent meeting about the situation. Too busy bike riding and swimming and his other personal interests perhaps.

I just wish we had Malcolm Fraser middle of the road truly caring politicians in all parties, to truly help people in our own country too.
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 8 November 2013 6:53:58 AM
JF, I know what you are saying but it has been my experience that if you give people cash they then just sit on their ar$$3$e$ & wait for the next handout. No, demand another cash handout & that cash goes to the headman & trickles down from there.

Don't you just hate conversations like this that are started by people like the Rv. Tim Costello & they never contribute to the conversation. This is just a fishing expedition on how people feel about Aid. Very disappointing.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 8 November 2013 7:33:01 AM
Sorry JF Aus, you're going the wrong way with European building materials & cash.

Around Rabaul we had an interesting population. A couple of thousand Europeans, the locals, Chinese, then a large mixed race population of locals with European, Chinese, & quite a few with Japanese infusion.

Quite a few locals & mixed race had become quite wealthy. Many looking for prestige had built Oz style houses. They would use these for entertaining, but had a local style thatched home behind this, where they actually lived. The local houses were much more comfortable, unless the Oz style house was air conditioned. Anyone with even half a brain cooked some distance from the main house, in the open or in a cook house, usually just a roof.

Many plantations, where the power had to be generated, had older Oz style houses used as storage sheds, & the main house was native style. Bigger than the usual local homes, but the same thatch & coconut woven construction. Some of these used sawn timber for flooring, & that was towed behind a boat or canoe, to its destination, rather than carried.

This timber thus pickled, lasted much longer than not salt soaked, resisting dry rot much better.

I had the advantage of knowing many B4s. Old timers who lived there before the war. We lost a huge bank of knowledge & experience when we lost them. While many locals still know how to do things the best way, they would never presume to tell you what you are doing wrong. The old B4 would tell you in no uncertain terms you were dumber than a local, & to stand back & watch.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 8 November 2013 11:50:06 AM
Jayb,

But did they actually receive the AID ‘handout’ in the first place?
If not, then what else should they be doing except sitting as you describe it?

As for the headman getting monedy, that’s a laugh.
Recently I stated correct antibiotics were not available at a hospital for a patient whose condition was getting worse. That patient was a village headman. He is an SDA non-drinker and non-smoker, a really decent person too. Yet he cannot afford vital medicine even for himself.

Yes conversations like this can be frustrating.

Keep your chin up Jayb. Never give up. I think always help if you can and see fit to do so.

Hasbeen,

Things have changed significantly in the Solomon Islands at least in the past 15-20 years, enough change involving chronic hardship even causing a coup.

Towing timber is now out of the question due to drag in the water and massive cost of fuel to tow the load, better if loaded inside canoes. Outriggers are not used in SI.

Bigger villages and population areas now lack enough bush timber and sago palm leaf for roofs and what there is now more often costs money. What there is left in the bush is usually now too far way and too costly to transport without cash for petrol, or being too far away often involves other landowners.

There is less trade because there is less fish to trade with as was the custom/tradition.

I wish I was there at the time to meet and talk with those old timers you refer to. As for ,local elders, one very elderly SI shark worship priest I became friendly with in 1973, told me the calf muscle of the human leg was the best part to eat. His name was Moses. SI people alive today from Laulasi know of him. Laulasi is a 500 year old man made island.
In 1973 most kids had their own small canoe but not now due lack of and cost of logs from far away.

P.S. I has delay posting due reaching my limit.
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 8 November 2013 8:21:23 PM
Never had any input from Tim Costello on this article. I think that if he writes an article her is obliged to give some input to argument. Otherwise he is just like all the other over paid Government parasites.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 25 November 2013 2:00:47 PM
I see Mr Costello is up in the Philippines amongst the Haiyan rubble but not dirty.
At least Mr Abbott would at least pretend to be driving a rescue truck.
Abbott and Costello, again.

I think it's best to give cash donations to the cashless poor affected people instead of cronies supplying manufactured goods with sales commission, kickbacks etc.

Aid agencies should deliver real aid.
A system should be organized to deliver cash to the people via responsible banks using fingerprint and facial indentification to prevent fraud. Donor could make direct deposits. Why not?

Meanwhile Mr Costello is busy.
http://worldvision.com.au/Issues/Emergencies/Current_Emergencies/Typhoon-Haiyan-Philippines.aspx?source=ASIA_APPEALFY13_SEM_SEM
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 25 November 2013 7:15:07 PM
JF: I see Mr Costello is up in the Philippines amongst the Haiyan rubble.

Flown up 1st. class, staying in a 5 Star Hotel, Expense Account, Bribes & Tips, courtesy of your donations, just for the "photo opportunity."

I've just done a calculation based on current Airfares, Hotel Rooms & Allowance Rates. It comes to, in round figures, $A20000. That's just for Tim, then there is his staff, etc. Best guess, multiply by 5. $A100000 of your hard earn donated money that these people won't get.

Just think how many people that money would have supported through this disaster.

Thanks Tim, I can see another Australia Day Award coming. Keep up the good work.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 25 November 2013 8:39:25 PM
I hope he learns something from this discussion.
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 25 November 2013 10:18:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy