The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Justice: the Achille's heel of democracy > Comments

Justice: the Achille's heel of democracy : Comments

By Rodney Crisp, published 28/10/2013

That very noble objective we call justice tends to be somewhat elusive. In fact, it is so elusive it could even be said to constitute the 'Achilles' heel' of democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

Dear Yuyutsu,

You wrote:

“My authority to live my life does not arise from this or that other person'(s) sayings, writings and decrees.”

I’m glad to hear it, Yuyutsu, though I also found it quite respectable when you indicated that as a “moral warrior in the Mahabharata” (whence your namesake, Yuyutsu), you walked down the religious path of Advaita Vedanta (non-duality) in the footsteps of your Hindu guru, Swami Vivekananda, the chief disciple of Ramakrishna.

I guess most of us try to live our lives without the interference of some external “authority” but unless you have decided to become a hermit, as I imagine you I am sure you are perfectly respectful of others and make whatever concessions are necessary in order to compose with society, living your life not only in peace and harmony with the rest of us but also ready and willing to cooperate and lend a helping hand to those in need.

Your constant presence on this forum certainly does not suggest that you lead the life of a recluse nor are your interventions in any way tainted by anything that could possibly be interpreted as resembling egoism.

Having said that, your comment brings to mind the essay Étienne de La Boétie published in 1594 at the age of 18, “Discourse on Voluntary Servitude, or the Anti-Dictator”. For La Boétie, obedience to rulers was the great mystery of politics (but remember he was writing in 1594). He considers it is not just fear. Our consent is required. So he exhorts us: « Soyez résolus à ne plus servir, et vous voilà libres. » ( be determined to no longer serve and you will be free).

The close friendship between La Boétie and Montaigne remains a living legend which continues to be perpetuated throughout France in literary and academic circles.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 29 October 2013 10:37:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My authority to live my life does not arise from this or that other person'(s) sayings, writings and decrees.
Yuyutsu,
But you toe the line nevertheless.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 31 October 2013 7:29:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy