The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The old school tie in Australian politics > Comments

The old school tie in Australian politics : Comments

By Ray Cassin, published 17/10/2013

There is no longer a bloc Catholic vote, as there was before the 1955 split when more than 80 per cent of Catholics routinely voted Labor.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Not sure that Bill Shorten's religion has any relevance in politics? And our Parliament all the better for it.
Tony Abbott however, is a very different case, as his religious beliefs inform many/most of his decisions? (Abortion, same sex marriage?)
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 17 October 2013 11:28:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suspect there will always be a higher proportion of churchgoers in politics than in the population as a whole, simply because politicians and churchgoers are both committed to the idea of collectivism; they believe in getting together in groups and working towards consensus. I don't know if the Catholic ideology will influence Abbott's government, but I don't see how it can do much more damage than the Labor government's ideological commitment to pay off whatever group or individual happened to be threatening them most loudly at the time. After all, we've had 2000 years to come up with ways to combat Catholic doctrine.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 17 October 2013 12:22:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Tony Abbott however, is a very different case, as his religious beliefs inform many/most of his decisions? (Abortion, same sex marriage?) '

thank God for that. We see the wreckage daily by the god deniers and it aint pretty.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 17 October 2013 12:54:36 PM
We see the wreckage daily of the God deniers, please explain Runner,
A persons own religion has no place in politics, politicians are there to represent the public they serve, not their religious beliefs.
Posted by Ojnab, Thursday, 17 October 2013 7:35:22 PM
Religion has no place outside the home, period !
Even less in Politics.
When people lost faith they invented religion, just look around at all the hypocrisy. Some of the most useless but corrupt bureaucrats I deal with go to church every sunday to worship or rather be seen to worship whilst rorting in the protection of the public service.
I still wonder why they raved on about Joh's Goverment being corrupt & kicked him out only to replace him with Goss, Beatty & Bligh. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 17 October 2013 8:50:16 PM
I suspect Individual is correct.
I think many politicians like to be seen going to church, so they can be sure of the Christian votes. I would hope that there aren't too many voters out there that would vote for a politician simply for their religious beliefs alone.

Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I too have known many so-called Christian church-goers who are the nastiest people around!

One does not have to be a Christian, or indeed any God believer, to have favourable morals and ethics, and that goes for politicians too.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 17 October 2013 10:50:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy